Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Lake Travis Boat Accident (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/160460-lake-travis-boat-accident.html)

pachanga 06-11-2007 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by fine jade (Post 2157665)
you cannot blame the "yacht" guy's.

I think I tend to disagree with this statement. Lake Lanier is a yuppie race with the rich. They keep buying bigger and bigger Yachts so they can cruise as they like and not be bothered by other's wakes. I think it is crazy. There are 45 50 footers running around kicking up outrageous wakes. You can run up on them sometimes without a boat in sight! One time we were crusing along in my 22 Pachanga and came up on onna these tidal waves...Backed her down and turned into the damn thing....at 20mph the boat came completely out of the water. I don't hardly go to Lanier anymore. It's become a Lake IMO for the big cruisers. The big part of the Lake on the weekends is worse than running offshore...at least if you are offshore you can usually predict which direction the surf is running!

I firmly believe they need to put a limit on the size boats they allow on these lakes. It is totally unfair to the majority of the boaters on this lake to be put in such dangerous situations by the smaller number of these big Yachts. That wake I spoke of above would have probably dam near capsized if we were sitting still. There is no doubt if anchored and not noticed everyone in the boat would have been thrown somewhere. :(

carcrash 06-11-2007 11:01 AM

Unless laws have changed -- and maritime laws generally don't -- the boat making the wake is liable for all damages caused by the wake, from broken docks, to spilled drinks, to death. The basis for the law is wake damage to banks of canals -- its been on the books for centurys. So was it really a wake, which boat caused it, and when does that owner pay for the damages?

By the way -- if the owner does not pay up, and sells the boat, the new owner is liable. Yup, that's how maritime law works -- its the boats fault, and remains the boats fault until completely paid.

38Roars 06-11-2007 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by Clay Washington (Post 2158297)
FYI... It seems that he was only driving 40 - 45 MPH. He just hit a wake hard and they were thrown out. A tragic accident.

Clay...
Did anyone see the cruiser? Did they stop or turn around?

NoQuarter 06-11-2007 11:54 AM

[QUOTE=pachanga;2158302]The big part of the Lake on the weekends is worse than running offshore...at least if you are offshore you can usually predict which direction the surf is running!QUOTE]

I can relate to this statement. Lake Minnetonka is the same. It's like being in a washing machine. Huge wakes are in every direction, there is no good angle! It's a gas if I'm alone, but pure HELL for my passengers.

A 22 Scarab doesn't work on this lake anymore.

Need a bigger boat.

Griswald 06-11-2007 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by 38Roars (Post 2158313)
Clay...

There was a 44' - 48' Formula that had stopped and was the only big boat in the area at the time that I remember. I don't know if they were running or not at the time of the accident, just saw them on the scene when we came up. This happened in a wide area of Travis and the rollers could've come from a boat that ran through minutes before, hard to say.

tpmarine.com 06-11-2007 12:08 PM

I am so sorry to hear about this and my prayers go out to the family.

I have a 10 year old daughter that just loves to boat with me and I can not imagine what it would be like if something were to happen to her.

Mark 06-11-2007 12:15 PM

So very sad. :(

Gotta say that I get pissed at almost EVERY boat that goes past my home. Nobody follows the no wake rules and beats the chit out of my dock and sea wall! I don't want to rain on their parade, but have thought often about putting a stern sign on my dock. The Jerks would probably make a bigger wake in spite. What A-holes!

OK - done venting....for now....

Turbojack 06-11-2007 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by 38Roars (Post 2158313)
Clay...

I am not sure it was one cruiser wake or multi of just boat wakes. This area of the lake (river) has cliffs on one side and marinas with break walls on the other side. When this accident happened there were many boats leaving Devils Cove at the time. I had gotten my boat in its slip just minutes before the accident had happen. Everyone on my boat was glad we were in the slip due to the ruff water after coming thru this area.

As was mentioned earlier many time I have hit those cruiser wakes that come out of no where on this lake too.

Dean Ferry 06-11-2007 12:19 PM

Terrible news, God speed to the family.
Dean

THEJOKER 06-11-2007 12:27 PM

Let's not jump to conclusions on boat wakes , etc. Let this thread be about mourning the loss of a child and a tragic event. I'm sure they'll be plenty of time to debate cruisers , boat wakes , etc. I've been thinking about this loss all day and my heart goes out to the family members , especially the dad.