Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Do you help other boaters? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/160738-do-you-help-other-boaters.html)

pp185xlt 06-17-2007 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by cbeastwood (Post 2161732)
Always - what goes around comes around. The only person I didn't help was the guy who cut in front of me at the ramp a few years ago, and proceeded to launch his boat, handing his wife standing on the dock the line, while forgetting to tie the line to the boat. I just stood there with everybody else watching the boat float down-river.

One thing I have noticed is that in general the only people who won't help you do anything is guys in fishing boats. I'm not talking CC's; I'm talking little 16' fishing boats. They all seem to think that the lake belongs to them...

I wouldnt agree with that, Being in the repair business I hear alot of stories about fishermen helping tow other boats. alot of people i know that fish will pull up their lines to help tow someone in.

This doesnt exactly go with helping tow someone in, but yesterday in holland, mi there was a smaller boat that had broken down and a 26 foot SeaRay smashed into them, never saw the boat. Thankfully the four people on board the small boat jumped off and are still alive. It would be interesting to know how long they had been broken down.

ENFORCER24 06-20-2007 02:23 PM

stocking up on good karma

from Just this past weekend i have a great story to tell

I took the boat out on sunday , its any given sunday so with my luck i'm gonna have some kinda trouble and i know it
the boat is running great and i'm gettin about 65 mph heading towards Gilligans on the potomac , i get within 300 yards and throttle down and hear the noise from behind me , i broke my alternator belt which flopped and got caught up in my power steering belt and broke that one too
so i'm stuck cause the pair run the water circ pump
soo , i make a call to a buddy to come get me from the bar so i can try and buy some belts and get back running
anyway , before he gets on his way i have the great idea of using a piece of rope around the pulleys (fender rope was the right size)
and holy crap , it works , just at idle , but gets me moving 4 miles an hour towards a boat ramp (about 2 miles south)
so i call my buddy and he meets me there , gives me a ride back to my truck and trailer in VA and i ride back to MD and start to get the boat out of the water
when i notice a boat dead in the water about a mile offshore
i cant just leave em , even tho my boat is holding on by a string (literally)
so i motor (slowly) out to em and explain my situation and give em a tow back in ,
halfway back i hear him shout "dude i think you got a crab pot" and about the same time my engine grinds to a halt
i wrapped up the rope pretty good ,
soo , i empty my poctets , and jump in the water , still concerned with "being the better person" spend 1/2 hour untangling the rope from my prop instead of cutting it , even tho the moron crabber used a black bouy that no one woulda seen unless they knew it was there , got it untangled and were back on our way , get him to the docks , and me to the boat ramp and get ready to go
i give him a ride to the front gate of the marina (there waiting on us to close up) and part ways , on the ride home towing the boat , i get pulled over by the local authorities and they notice a beer bottle that my brief passenger has left in the cup holder (holy crap how did i miss that) and gives me a lecture about open containers , thank god i never actually made it to the bar myself , just a couple of beers while i was on the boat , didnt ticket me , but is no doubt looking out for me ,
where do i go to cash in my karma?
does my karma roll over like my cell phone minutes ?
can i build up e-nuff karma to get a nice exhaust for my boat?

thanks for listening to my rant , i will still stop anytime i see someone broken down , no matter what

the high point of my day was my 20 year old 24 foot checkmate pulling in a late 90's early 2000's fountian 32 foot that ran out of gas
on the

Edward R. Cozzi 06-20-2007 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by BajaRunner (Post 2164421)
I always try and help.

Heres one i have for you. I could spend my entire time on the lake doing nothing but helping people. I was at the ramp with a guy saying his battery was no good, but if i jumped him he would be fine. Those people are all over the lake broke down. I see people ALL the time.

So everyone that helps everybody, do you spend your entire time boating helping people? Just curious where some of you cut it off. I am all about helping, just dont want to spend all my lake time doing it.

Hey! What a great idea. A mobile service boat just riding around the lake waiting for that distress call. Have a couple of 5 gallon cans of gas, some common impellers and belts, duct tape, fuel separators and some basic tools. Bet a guy could clean-up on the weekends.

CcanDo 06-20-2007 05:52 PM

Where are you guys when GINO goes to the water ?

MacGyver 06-20-2007 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by ENFORCER24 (Post 2170387)
where do i go to cash in my karma?
does my karma roll over like my cell phone minutes ?
can i build up e-nuff karma to get a nice exhaust for my boat?

LMAO!! I almost spilled my beer when I read those :evilb:

ENFORCER24 06-20-2007 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by MacGyver (Post 2170700)
LMAO!! I almost spilled my beer when I read those :evilb:

if i couldnt look back and laugh about bad days ,i'd be one big ulcer with a pending heart attack

88formula223 06-20-2007 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by BajaRunner (Post 2164421)
I always try and help.

Heres one i have for you. I could spend my entire time on the lake doing nothing but helping people. I was at the ramp with a guy saying his battery was no good, but if i jumped him he would be fine. Those people are all over the lake broke down. I see people ALL the time.

So everyone that helps everybody, do you spend your entire time boating helping people? Just curious where some of you cut it off. I am all about helping, just dont want to spend all my lake time doing it.

Last weekend a lot of guys from our "bachelor" party went home Sunday morning. So a few of us that are always out there decided to go out and only needed one boat becasue the wives weren't coming, my firends boat was parked in front of mine so we loaded his up and headed to the ramp. After waiting for 15 mins or so the truck in front of us was backing in, it was a 2 wheel drive ranger super cab pulling a 20ft bayliner well you can guess the rest, it went in up to the back of the cab. The ramp is packed and we are waiting at the top parked next to a guy that it was his first time out and forgot the plug and the water fill the boat ankle deep at the captins seat in a 22 foot 4 winns (his kids where scared to death and I felt bad)so Im talking to him when the truck goes in I look at my 3 buddies already in the boat and say should we help (there where 3-4 guys already helping) my buddy said if I helped people everytime thats all I would do all weekend. They got her out quickly.

Later that day we ran out of gas in a year old glastron, gauge showed 1/4 tank moral of the story Karma is a ***** and a guy towed us immediatly to the marina, we gave him $40 and he said no so we threw it in his boat and said thanks, he brought $20 of it to the gas dock and said Ill take $20 to cover gas but $40 is way to much.....thanks again dude if you read this. We always tried to help others in the past but now see the importance more after last sunday