Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   What is it about poker runs? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/160857-what-about-poker-runs.html)

Oh Deere 06-14-2007 08:11 AM

I think you need to try one. There is a broad mix of people running boats at various levels of investment. Groups naturally break out based on speed and driving ability, so you would not be left out. Everyone mixes in once you hit the dock. They are fun and usually for a great cause. Don't let the term "Team" discourage you. Feel free to pick your definition....

a cooperative unit

two or more draft animals that work together to pull something form a team; "We teamed up for this new project"

an organized group of dancers who rehearse and perform together. Also known as a side. Teams may be all-male, all-female, or mixed. There is a certain amount of carping about which of these formats is traditional, and therefore "correct."

A team comprises any group of people or animals linked in a common purpose. A group in itself does not necessarily constitute a team.

a team is a group generally selected like a working group, but often with sharply defined roles, either cooperative or collaborative.

Panther 06-14-2007 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by waterboy222 (Post 2162402)
Ive been interested in doing one since I got my Dominator. I always assumed it was just a fun day on the water and a chance to meet other boaters and mingle. Even win a little bit of money (by chance).. But after looking into it, theres a LOT of people that take these runs VERY seriously and have dedicated a LOT of money and resources to them. Whats the allure of it? Is there money to be made in these events, I mean, enough to put together a TEAM? I dont understand it all.

Am I missing something, I thought everyone just went to different card stops and picked up a card and at the end of the day whoever had the best hand wins (vague, i know)..

Care to point out what Im missing here?

Ok...to sum it up... Some brig a tape measure, if you catch my drift.... :eek:

There are different groups that go to PR's... The one's who bring the tape measure and the others who enjoy the day, the people and the events.

You don't have to bring a tape measure to go to a poker run. Go enjoy yourself and find the other guys who enjoy what you do!! :drink:

t500hps 06-14-2007 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by Panther (Post 2162704)
Ok...to sum it up... Some brig a tape measure, if you catch my drift.... :eek:

There are different groups that go to PR's... The one's who bring the tape measure and the others who enjoy the day, the people and the events.

You don't have to bring a tape measure to go to a poker run. Go enjoy yourself and find the other guys who enjoy what you do!! :drink:

I'm going to use that some day....tape measure is a good analogy.
I've got a decent boat but don't need to be the center of attention. When our last PR started I was 1/4 mile behind the start swimming in the water with a few other friends. About 10 minutes after the start we climbed in the boats and headed to the first stop. Some consider it a race, I consider it a party!!!! Have fun and BE SAFE!!!!

100-Plus 06-14-2007 09:54 AM

People with the same passion getting together to share that passion ... there's not much mystery to it. A poker run is a rally with the added element of gaming tossed in for kicks. Sure, there's a remote chance you can win some money, but no one in his right mind actually goes to one expecting to win.

And though it's been said to death: No one in his right mind goes to a poker run to race.

A poker run "team" is just a bunch of friends in matching shirts, having a great time with each other. Obviously, it's not a team in the competitive sense. They're just having a good time, and if matching shirts and all the rest enhance that time, why not?

The fun they take seriously. But the actual winning of the event? Not so much. Great hardware, beautiful women and killer parties. What's not to love?

jayboat 06-14-2007 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by t500hps (Post 2162793)
I'm going to use that some day....tape measure is a good analogy.
I've got a decent boat but don't need to be the center of attention. When our last PR started I was 1/4 mile behind the start swimming in the water with a few other friends. About 10 minutes after the start we climbed in the boats and headed to the first stop. Some consider it a race, I consider it a party!!!! Have fun and BE SAFE!!!!

Well said.

I also think 'TAPE MEASURE' would make a great name for a boat... :D

WARPARTY36 06-14-2007 11:05 AM

This is a subject we need to kick back and discuss over a couple of cold ones:drink: It's all about being around the like minded people. Yes, you find the occasional douchebag, but that is rare.

It's about(and it pisses me off while they are doing it) people damn near stopping next to you on the interstate just to get a picture of your rig.

It's about people asking the dumbest questions that you've ever heard at gas stations. Last week I had MC's 44MTI Hammertime and this guy walks up and says "God that's got to be a 24 footer" or "that thing must of cost $50,000".

It's about running through the mangroves on the way to Key West like you are in a dream.

It's about walking down Duvall in Key West and from 2 blocks away someone screams "OU Want Some?!!" and you reply "OU Know it!!!"

It's about having dinner and drinks with Randy Scism, Mike Fiore, Skip Braver, or Trond.

It's about seeing and running with the finest hardware imaginable.

It's about getting the E-Dock crew together with the SBRT crew(when their junk runs long enough to show up:evilb: :drink: ) and talking smack over a few cocktails and having the time of our lives.

But most of all, it's about the people. We have met some of the best people in the country(from Canada to south Florida to California and everywhere in between) and consider them friends.

Spicy 06-14-2007 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by WARPARTY36 (Post 2163019)
This is a subject we need to kick back and discuss over a couple of cold ones:drink: It's all about being around the like minded people. Yes, you find the occasional douchebag, but that is rare.

It's about(and it pisses me off while they are doing it) people damn near stopping next to you on the interstate just to get a picture of your rig.

It's about people asking the dumbest questions that you've ever heard at gas stations. Last week I had MC's 44MTI Hammertime and this guy walks up and says "God that's got to be a 24 footer" or "that thing must of cost $50,000".

It's about running through the mangroves on the way to Key West like you are in a dream.

It's about walking down Duvall in Key West and from 2 blocks away someone screams "OU Want Some?!!" and you reply "OU Know it!!!"

It's about having dinner and drinks with Randy Scism, Mike Fiore, Skip Braver, or Trond.

It's about seeing and running with the finest hardware imaginable.

It's about getting the E-Dock crew together with the SBRT crew(when their junk runs long enough to show up:evilb: :drink: ) and talking smack over a few cocktails and having the time of our lives.

But most of all, it's about the people. We have met some of the best people in the country(from Canada to south Florida to California and everywhere in between) and consider them friends.

Bubba, first off great Analogy and how have you been??? That reminded me of when we met at Conch Republic in Key West two years ago, oh yeah and we were drinking......:D :evilb:

WARPARTY36 06-14-2007 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by Spicy (Post 2163029)
Bubba, first off great Analogy and how have you been??? That reminded me of when we met at Conch Republic in Key West two years ago, oh yeah and we were drinking......:D :evilb:

Been doing well, and we will see you soon! I'm sure glad that storm didn't roll in that day:eek:

That is one thing I left out. Putting faces with names from this board is PRICELESS!

Also on the way to Jax, I saw a lady trying to sneak a picture with a camera phone. I said hello and asked how she was doing, and she said fine and walked away. A minute later she comes back and asked if her son could get a picture with the boat. I say sure tell him to come over, so she wheels him out of her van and as soon as he saw the boat his face lit up like a Christmas tree! He got all excited and she got her pictures, and I gave him a Hammertime coozie and hopefully made his day a little brighter.

It's stuff like this that you do not get to experience with your boat sitting on the lift.

HUSTLEthis 06-14-2007 11:43 AM

Perfect WarParty36.....

Tom

omerta one 06-14-2007 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by Spicy (Post 2163029)

One time...at band camp, err I mean poker run.........