Notices

For the Baja bashers

Old 06-15-2007, 07:58 AM
Charter Member #300
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've owned three Bajas and loved them warts and all, now I don't.

The only thing I hate about Baja's is "Hey someone's bashing a Baja everyone post yer @ss off!"

I think half the disk space taken up on OSO's servers is dedicated to this forum drivel.

F-them if they don't like your boat, jeez... but why is a Baja owner starting this thread?

Last edited by Shooter; 06-15-2007 at 08:01 AM.
Old 06-15-2007, 09:26 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Shooter
I've owned three Bajas and loved them warts and all, now I don't.

The only thing I hate about Baja's is "Hey someone's bashing a Baja everyone post yer @ss off!"

I think half the disk space taken up on OSO's servers is dedicated to this forum drivel.

F-them if they don't like your boat, jeez... but why is a Baja owner starting this thread?
LOL

Best post yet in a most worthless thread about a paid advertisment..
Old 06-15-2007, 12:43 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a Baja, and a friend has one.....both great , solid boats !
Old 06-15-2007, 01:02 PM
JC Performance Engines
Gold Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I more or less see them as a performance boat for the public.
They are widely seen at all boat shows and heavily advertise.
They are a great way to get into performance boating w/ a wide distributorship.
Unlike many of the other brands preferred on this site, who dont go to shows, advertise or have any dealers which have a low visibility, but are known w/in the industry and those in the know... like us / the majority on this site.

Again, i didnt get a $ on a 24 w/ a 496 or a 29/30 w/ twin 496s, to compare to some of these other "custom" builders.
Old 06-15-2007, 01:20 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by marylandmark
I think Baja's downfall is perception is reality-

People view them as cheap and not a performance boat so therefore they are not.

Mark

I understand your point, however I suspect most people make choices based upon their own preference, and not those of others. When was the last time that you, or anyone else on this website, decided
against doing what you thought was best in favor of following the suggestions of others
who do not even know you?

I respect everyones opinion on their preference in boats, cars, neighborhoods, and life ...
however in the end, it's you who must live with your decisions and their consequences,
not the others who would be pleased to choose for you.

Bill
Old 06-15-2007, 02:15 PM
Registered

Baja makes a nice boat. The only reason I do not own one is that i dont want to run down the lake and feel like I am in my car passing the same one every few miles. The make a solid boat just not unique.
Old 06-15-2007, 03:03 PM
Registered

Received 2,831 Likes on 951 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris Sunkin
Hot boat is no different than any other publisher. They have ad pages to sell. They aren't going to get a new advertiser into the book by telling the cold, hard truth about their product. You're also not going to keep big-page-volume advertisers like Reggie in your book by showing photos of hull/deck separations and sinking hulls. It isn't just the boat biz- this is universal everywhere in the publishing business. Unless you're 100% reader-supported, like Consumer Reports

Maybe Havasu isn't the best place to test OFFSHORE boats. Everything works pretty well on a pond. Your opinion might be different if you were to see a motor mount torn out of a stringer off of a 6' roller.

There's Bayliners and then there's Apaches. In between is an enormous gulf of difference in materials and construction quality. Of the boats you named, there are certainly differences, although not as dramatic as the one's I used in my example. Because you aren't identifying them, that doesn't mean they don't exist. Maybe you're either not looking very hard or you lack the long-term experience to know what to look for. Maybe you were a little star-struck too.

New boats, hand-prepped for a magazine, test driven on a small lake does not make for the best real-world examination of what you're going to be living with a few years down the road.

No, they're not all "great" boats. They're "OK" boats. That would be like comparing a Kia, a Chevy, an Audi and a Porsche. They're not all "great" cars. Not everyone can tell you why, though.

I've owner one of just about everything, from old wooden Lymans, a Bayliner or two, a couple Bajas, 3 Cigs, 2 Velocities and 2 Apaches- and a bunch more. Every one of them was lots of fun- much better than watching from shore. Some were constructed exceptionally well and some weren't. If you come on a site like this and say "my XYZ is a great boat- as good as anything else made" you have to expect to get some feedback from more than a couple of folks.
Chris, I think you're preaching to the wrong person. Al took his brand new (at the time) 20' Outlaw out with us in the Pacific ocean for a run to Santa Barbara (about a 35-40 mile run in the open Pacific Ocean) a few years back. Water was 4-6 rollers. He definately wanted a BIGGER boat but did not require a BETTER boat. The little 20 handled it as expected with no suprises (i.e. things falling apart, stress cracks, "stringers ripped out", etc.).
Old 06-15-2007, 03:04 PM
Registered

Received 2,831 Likes on 951 Posts

Originally Posted by mjpcowboy
Baja makes a nice boat. The only reason I do not own one is that i dont want to run down the lake and feel like I am in my car passing the same one every few miles. The make a solid boat just not unique.
I could say the same thing of at least 3 other brands off the top of my head that come to mind.
Old 06-15-2007, 03:35 PM
Registered

An interesting thought, but I would bet $$$ that most people who dream about getting into high-performance boating just wish they could afford a great looking offshore V-hull .....
they could care less which one!

As far as too many Baja's on the water ..... just maybe it's because they're the most popular performance boat in the business.

PS:

Hi Tank
Hope you & your family are well,
See you on the water ....
Bill
Old 06-15-2007, 05:07 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ive owned many boats including 3 Cigarettes. If I ever left the Cig brand, I wouldnt hesitate to go back to a Baja. I owned a brand new 2001 29 Outlaw and loved the boat. They are a good all around boat for a decent price.

Quick Reply: For the Baja bashers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.