Notices

I need an expert opinion.

Old 06-19-2007, 07:52 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

While the jury is still out on the exact cause of this one, this isn't an unheard-of occurrence with some stepped boats...

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...d.php?t=161199

For me, it ain't worth the 10 MPH bump.
Attached Thumbnails I need an expert opinion.-glad%2520not%25202.jpg  
Old 06-19-2007, 10:00 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

IT'S A BIT MORE THEN YOU HAD SAID BUT IT WILL BE WORTH IT . STRAIGHT 25 DEGREE DEADRISE BOTTOM NO STEPP'S, WILL CRUISE AT 60 MPH ALL DAY LONG IT WILL HIT 70 MPH FULL OF FUEL AND 5 OR 6 PEAPLE ABOARD. 74 TO 76 MPH LIGHT ON FUEL AND PEAPLE
GOOD LUCK IN YOUR SEARCH http://www.offshoreonlyclassifieds.c...o14239-en.html

MIKE
Old 06-19-2007, 12:02 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 36 Likes on 10 Posts

Get a stepped boat. Respect the boat. They're meant to go fast in a straight line not on a 70mph turn. You'll be fine, just don't be an idiot. Better resale on a step boat. Buy a cigarette.
Old 06-19-2007, 02:46 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cigarette Rolled @ Texoma?

Steps or no steps, take the class and you will learn how safely go fast
Old 06-19-2007, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by BraceYourself
They're meant to go fast in a straight line not on a 70mph turn. You'll be fine, just don't be an idiot.
What if you found out the Texoma boat rolled because the guy was avoiding some knucklehead kid on a jetski?

If you told me you were using the boat on the Great Lakes or open ocean, I'd say maybe the risk is worth it. On anything else...
Old 06-19-2007, 03:44 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 36 Likes on 10 Posts

Not at all implying the texacoma guy is an idiot. I'm just saying that when you run a 38 foot boat in a straight line at lets say 70 mph, it's a safe ride no matter step or no step.
Old 06-19-2007, 06:59 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Going to check out a 38 tg this week in Baton Rouge. 98 model with new xr drives, hawk 454 motors 130 hrs. Any suggestions?
Old 06-19-2007, 07:56 PM
JC Performance Engines
Gold Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

wont be the fastest, but the xrs, w/ that power should be fine.
got a link?
Old 06-19-2007, 08:04 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am not sure how to post a link, below is a copy and paste from my browser.

http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/8/5/88585585.htm
Old 06-20-2007, 07:20 AM

The boat in those pics does not look well-cared-for at all. Lots of crud & mold. I figure if a guy can't keep it cosmetically clean, is he really keeping up on the mechanical maintenance? The rigging you can see looks original and somewhat shopworn as well. You'll find many boats for sale that are nearing the point where they need to be updated or re-rigged entirely. It's probably a smart move to try to sell just as the boat is headed downwards, condition-wise. maybe not to smart to buy one. The numbers have to make sense.

On any used boat purchase, the cardinal rule is get a survey from a known, qualified high-performance surveyor. You get a guy who isn't familiar with your specific boat, you might as well save your money. A guy who knows everything there is to know about Sea Ray's and Hatteras' is not going to do you much good. If he doesn't know anything about the common issues with the particular boat you're looking at, you can get hurt bad. If you drop 100K on a boat and it needs a transom or fuel tanks, you're in it pretty deep- and you're losing a boating season. There's a difference between an insurance/finance survey and a total owner's survey. A thorough survey needs to include a careful testing and examination of the driveline as well as a moisture test of the hull. If the owner doesn't have complete, detailed maintenance records on the engines, driveline & such, you have to be very suspicious of their true condition, regardless of appearances or even how they're running right now.

There's lots for sale right now and it's a buyer's market. This is a fairly tight community so it's not hard to find a well-known boat from an owner who is also known for how they care for their equipment. There are also some well-regarded dealers out there who got that way by making sure their customers don't get hosed. Lip Ship is one. Bullock is another. There are a handful of others out there as well.

Take a look at these- ALOT more boat for the $$ (OK, maybe I'm biased )

http://www.offshoreonlyclassifieds.c...o16407-en.html

http://www.offshoreonlyclassifieds.c...-o9132-en.html

Quick Reply: I need an expert opinion.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.