Notices

I need an expert opinion.

Old 06-15-2007, 10:20 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I wouldn't be too worried about steps. I wouldn't recommend any boat over 70mph until you've got several years experience under your belt. Buy a nice boat that will hold its value well. If you want to go faster as your skill increases, at least you won't get hit too bad. You can't beat a Top Gun. If nothing else, when people ask you "is that a Cigarette?", all you have to say is "yes".
Old 06-15-2007, 10:22 AM
JC Performance Engines
Gold Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Or a Sonic.
Old 06-15-2007, 10:25 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would question the wisdom of getting any type of "speed enhanced" powerboat as a first go-fast ride. As I have come to understand, stepped hulls were created for additonal speed potential and do not have the drivability of a traditional V hull. By you simply asking this question, you've already expressed some concern.

Should the "boat of your dreams" have a stepped hull, then buy it, and respect its safety requirements. Otherwise, what is the downside of owning a traditional V which allows you to enjoy going fast on the open water with confidence?

PS:
I have a preference for the Baja brand, and I suggest you consider their 35' Outlaw.
There are also some great values available in late model used Baja's.

Last edited by StillHaulin@63; 06-15-2007 at 10:36 AM.
Old 06-15-2007, 10:34 AM
SeaRay Sundancer
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dont read too far into the step hull = scary handling thing. Just take your tight turns slower, wider, and with your tabs and drives set accordingly. I dont expect you to be laying a 38ft boat into tight turns anyway. Get what ever boat you want and can afford. It really isnt as big a deal as some make it out to be. Afterall, we arent talking about a 115 mph boat.....70 is pretty tame. You will be careful in what ever you get IMO.
Old 06-15-2007, 10:55 AM
JC Performance Engines
Gold Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

all these great ideas... and no idea of a budget.
You looking to spend 50 100 200 or 500k on this boat?

i say stick to a straight hulled boat, w/ 496s-525s.
You wont be wanting an OL or a 38TG if you want a spacious cabin. Sonic, AT, or nortech would be better suited for a nice cabin solid ride in rough water and fast enough to cruise @ 45-50mph, and let your family drive.

this is a decent deal for a newer boat...
http://www.offshoreonlyclassifieds.c...o14239-en.html
Old 06-15-2007, 11:15 AM

What concerns me isn't the every day handling of the boat, it's that once-in-a-lifetime emergency maneuver. It sounds from the equipment you're looking for this is going to be a familt/performance boat. If you have to make one of those sharp swerves to avoid some kid on a jetski and you roll it, that 5mph or slight bump in fuel economy instantly goes out the window. Some steps are more stable than others but no stepped boat is as stable and forgiving as a classic heavyweight v-bottom.
Old 06-15-2007, 11:33 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by StillHaulin@61
I would question the wisdom of getting any type of "speed enhanced" powerboat as a first go-fast ride. As I have come to understand, stepped hulls were created for additonal speed potential and do not have the drivability of a traditional V hull. By you simply asking this question, you've already expressed some concern.

Should the "boat of your dreams" have a stepped hull, then buy it, and respect its safety requirements. Otherwise, what is the downside of owning a traditional V which allows you to enjoy going fast on the open water with confidence?

PS:
I have a preference for the Baja brand, and I suggest you consider their 35' Outlaw.
There are also some great values available in late model used Baja's.

I got a ride in triple engine Baja at the Tickfaw run a couple months ago. Becoming a fan of the whale. THere is somthing to making popcorn in the microwave relaxing in the A/C, and having a stand up shower after running 72 all day. Not that fast, but fast enough to keep up with 50% of the population.
Old 06-15-2007, 12:35 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Try a Formula 382 Fastech....Beautiful,build great,handles well..........learn the boat.......remember "know your equipment, know your limitations, always leave yourself a place to go".........................
Old 06-15-2007, 12:37 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris Sunkin
What concerns me isn't the every day handling of the boat, it's that once-in-a-lifetime emergency maneuver. It sounds from the equipment you're looking for this is going to be a familt/performance boat. If you have to make one of those sharp swerves to avoid some kid on a jetski and you roll it, that 5mph or slight bump in fuel economy instantly goes out the window. Some steps are more stable than others but no stepped boat is as stable and forgiving as a classic heavyweight v-bottom.
Chris, Cool Avatar !!
Old 06-15-2007, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by ericaull
Chris, Cool Avatar !!
Some folks consider me a hard-a$$. I prefer to think of myself as "practical"

Quick Reply: I need an expert opinion.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.