Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Am i pricing myself out of the market? >

Am i pricing myself out of the market?

Notices

Am i pricing myself out of the market?

Old 06-14-2007, 07:41 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Am i pricing myself out of the market?

This winter (i know, "winter", pshhh...) I plan on updating my boat completely and want to know at what point should I call it "good enough". I dont want to do so many updates that I end up with $80k in parts on a $35k boat and won't be able to sell it for $60k in the future. That make sense? Im wanting to have the hull capped which will definately turn away a few buyers but will attract an equal amount. Along with a new paint job, interior, bigger power, gauges, etc. Will all of this price my boat out of the market? I've noticed with Cig's that most people are able to ask quite a bit for an older boat that has been updated with big power and cockpit updates.. Is this the same with Sunsation?

Capping/paint- $10,000
Motors/drives - $30,000
Updates- $8000
Original Boat $40,000

See where Im goin with this??
Old 06-14-2007, 07:56 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you love the boat and plan on keeping it do it. If you plan on selling in a few years keep it the way it is. Money is Money any way you look at.
Old 06-14-2007, 08:08 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

There is something legendary and historic about the Old-school boats. There is a legacy that goes back nearing 50 yrs. in some builds.
If you love the boat, and plan on keeping it, do whatever ya want to make it yours.
If you want to re-coup your investment - pass the bottle, you're drinking something better than I can afford. It isn't going to happen.
Old 06-14-2007, 08:19 PM
Registered

i understand i wont recoup all of my investment. unfortunately! But I know that much.. Im just wondering if I would have to ask the same as the rest of the dominator 32's for sale that were pretty much stock or could i ask a higher price because of the upgrades?
Old 06-14-2007, 08:30 PM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

If you do all that work I figure you'll be able to get a 10-20% premium over other boats ONCE you find the right buyer. Finding that buyer will take awhile IMO.

If your willing to spend that much money AFTER purchasing a boat, why don't you sell the one you have for 40ish and go buy one for 75ish that is already the way you like it.
Old 06-14-2007, 08:35 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by t500hps
If you do all that work I figure you'll be able to get a 10-20% premium over other boats ONCE you find the right buyer. Finding that buyer will take awhile IMO.

If your willing to spend that much money AFTER purchasing a boat, why don't you sell the one you have for 40ish and go buy one for 75ish that is already the way you like it.
I agree. Sunsations are great boats that hold their value well but I don't think you will get as much as you hope for back. I always tell people make sure your boat is priced so the average buyer can get it finananced. I would save the money on capping the hull, one false move at the dock and

my .02
Old 06-14-2007, 08:35 PM
Registered

i think itd be hard to find something in a vhull thats capped and has hp500's or better and good paint.. maybe im wrong but most ive seen like that are priced in the upper 6 digits.. prove me wrong, id love to save myself that hassle and just upgrade boats but i cant find what I really want..
Old 06-14-2007, 08:41 PM
Banned

What is "capping"? Is that putting a canopy on it?
Old 06-14-2007, 08:46 PM
Registered

Received 421 Likes on 175 Posts

I think a major impact of values is based on the "book". Whether we admit it, or not, most banks lend on "book", and anything over that would not be looked at favorably. At the very least the banker would share with your buyer that you are way overpriced. Alot of folks will finance hier boat, so it does make a difference. Sell your ride and buy what you want.
Just my opinion.
Old 06-14-2007, 08:46 PM
Registered

No, its taking the rubrail off and bonding the hull to the deck.. look at the Adrenaline V30.. no rubrail, just a solid one-piece boat.. you lose the protection from the docks but I trailer mine so its not so much an issue and it makes the boat look at LOT sleeker..

Quick Reply: Am i pricing myself out of the market?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.