Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Transom mounted water pickup >

Transom mounted water pickup

Notices

Transom mounted water pickup

Old 06-18-2007, 07:02 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The water is just forced up the hose and out through an outlet in the transom no pump . The pump is now sucking water through the transom pickup.
Old 06-19-2007, 05:44 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 53 Likes on 28 Posts

That is correct, water is forced through the transome pick-up to your engine mounted pump.

Should you choose to add a drive shower, it has nothing to do with your other water supply or pump. It's mounted by itself on your outdrive and has a little lead hanging in the water which the water is forced up through and then just dumps the water on top of your outdrive for cooling the top bearing.

Jon
Old 06-19-2007, 06:22 AM
Registered

There is quite a bit of water presure from a transom mounted pickup. I know thie because I now have one with a sea strainer. The other weekend I opened the strainer to clean it out, and didn't tighten the lid enough. Water was spraying from the glass lid (with rubber seal) all over the engine comparnment. And I did strew it down to what I thought was tight. Not so!

Here is a pick of my pickup and strainer.
Attached Thumbnails Transom mounted water pickup-june-9th-2007-001-oso.jpg   Transom mounted water pickup-lost-pics-008-oso.jpg  
Old 06-19-2007, 06:24 AM
Registered

Received 293 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by cougarman
How many ya want ? I have three for sale
Made by Latham

Cougarman

what size , i need 1 , how much..
Old 06-19-2007, 07:16 AM

The Latham design looks great, & very simple to install. I've decided to leave the drive pick up figured the way it is, I will simply run a hose from the fitting inside to a thru hull fitting to dump it over board. I think that is the easiest, & just a bit of insurance for the drive. I've searched, & can't seem to find solid info on whether the drive has to have water going thru it. I also do plan on a drive shower install.
Old 06-19-2007, 07:24 AM
Registered

Dump the water from the drive back on top of the drive if you can! The more water on the drive the beter!
Old 06-19-2007, 08:12 AM
Registered

I think there is a bit of confusion on this thread ,rangerrick was talking about using the drive pickups for a drive shower and adding a transom mounted pickup for engine cooling, i think he was.Rangerrick if you want to get a drive shower alot of aftermarket dealers have them, they mount on the drive on the out side of the boat.
Old 06-19-2007, 08:22 AM
Registered

Rangerrick after reading your post you cant just tap into your cooling water fitting to dump water on your drive , this water is intended for the engine. If you want to cool your drive purchase a drive shower.
Old 06-19-2007, 08:26 AM
Registered

Canada jeff how much dialing in was needed to adjust the length or depth of your transom mounted pickup and why did you elect to go with one, Thanks CODERED
Old 06-19-2007, 09:21 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is a system similar to what I think you are considering. The water pick-up to the to strainer and sea pump is a bottom mounted thru-hull or a transom mount.
The drive water in the picture is routed with a 90 degree fitting at the drive, out thru the ext. box and then back to the drive as a "shower".
If no ext box, you could also route the drive water back out the transom to the top of the drive with a thru-hull fitting similar to the fittings in picture.
This system works well if you are up for the rigging project.
Attached Thumbnails Transom mounted water pickup-imgp0488.jpg  

Quick Reply: Transom mounted water pickup

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.