Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Transom mounted water pickup >

Transom mounted water pickup

Notices

Transom mounted water pickup

Old 06-19-2007, 10:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BenPerfected
Here is a system similar to what I think you are considering. The water pick-up to the to strainer and sea pump is a bottom mounted thru-hull or a transom mount.
The drive water in the picture is routed with a 90 degree fitting at the drive, out thru the ext. box and then back to the drive as a "shower".
If no ext box, you could also route the drive water back out the transom to the top of the drive with a thru-hull fitting similar to the fittings in picture.
This system works well if you are up for the rigging project.
That is an awsome set-up, that will work perfect for me. The best part, I can do everything without removing the outdrive & transom. Thanks for the pic, really helps out alot.
Old 06-19-2007, 10:16 AM
Registered

I put a transom pick-up on my boat. Still need to shave it down a little, takes some dialing in. I also ran the normal water supply from the drive through a hose to dump on top of the Bravo. The water pressure alone from running through the water puts a lot more water on top of the drive than my drive shower does. Just look at the number of holes in the drive and it uses an 1.25 inch hose. No drive shower could compete with that. Hung my head over the back while running and it just looks really cool as well. I did all this for the same reason, got tired of silt up into the drive and motor.
Old 06-19-2007, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by knockld
I put a transom pick-up on my boat. Still need to shave it down a little, takes some dialing in. I also ran the normal water supply from the drive through a hose to dump on top of the Bravo. The water pressure alone from running through the water puts a lot more water on top of the drive than my drive shower does. Just look at the number of holes in the drive and it uses an 1.25 inch hose. No drive shower could compete with that. Hung my head over the back while running and it just looks really cool as well. I did all this for the same reason, got tired of silt up into the drive and motor.
Did you use a straight fitting out of the transom, or a 45 degree? I'm thinking the straight may actually shoot the water past the drive, so I'm leaning towards the 45, Stainless Marine has a couple of real nice ones that go from the 1 1/4 hose. Got any pics of your set-up?
I only had to clean my hoses once, but I look at as...I just got lucky, now I'm hoping to avoid that in the future.
Old 06-19-2007, 12:49 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here the pickups I installed on my 292.
Attached Thumbnails Transom mounted water pickup-boat-050.jpg  
Old 06-19-2007, 02:16 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check out the Stainless Marine thru the bottom pick-ups.
Old 06-19-2007, 02:21 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 53 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by BenPerfected
Here is a system similar to what I think you are considering. The water pick-up to the to strainer and sea pump is a bottom mounted thru-hull or a transom mount.
The drive water in the picture is routed with a 90 degree fitting at the drive, out thru the ext. box and then back to the drive as a "shower".
If no ext box, you could also route the drive water back out the transom to the top of the drive with a thru-hull fitting similar to the fittings in picture.
This system works well if you are up for the rigging project.
Well thought out set up, Noticed your transom pick-up is shy of reaching the bottom of the hull ???
Is the cable you have going down there for some type of remote adjustment on your water pick-up ?

Thanks
Jon
Old 06-19-2007, 02:31 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jon,
That IMCO pick-up is for a ballast tank. You only drag it to fill the tank.
Ben
Old 06-19-2007, 03:21 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Codered
Canada jeff how much dialing in was needed to adjust the length or depth of your transom mounted pickup and why did you elect to go with one, Thanks CODERED
This system was installed because I had a Whiple installed on my HP500EFI and Whipple is now sugesting this route. The drive water now feeds the intercooler only. As for the type and position of the transom pickup, the installer has done many Sunsations (he is a dealer) and has dialed it others.

So answer to your question, no dialing in, that I am aware of anyways :-)
Old 06-19-2007, 06:25 PM
Registered

Cando there is no water pump in a Bravo drive.