Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Transom mounted water pickup >

Transom mounted water pickup

Notices

Transom mounted water pickup

Old 06-18-2007, 03:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transom mounted water pickup

I goofed last weekend while out at the islands, I wasn't paying close enough attention, & drifted over a shallow sandbar. Cooling system got "PACKED" with sand. I got lucky though, it didn't go past the T-stat, & had it all cleaned out in about 30 mins (I'm so thankful Donzi set their engines so one can work on them quite easily)...anyway. I found several old threads on this unfortunate event (so, I didn't feel completely like an idiot ), but they all seemed to head in the direction of installing a transom mounted pickup. I can see how this would help, but what do I do with the pickup in the drive? I read where folks have used this as a drive shower, how is that done? I also saw one post saying there may be possible problems on a stepped hull. I went on the Stainless Marine site, they have some very nice set-ups, but not sure what size I would need to go with....Anyone got any tips on do's & don't's or am I just wasting my time with this, & should just really pay closer attention to the depth?
Old 06-18-2007, 04:10 PM
Registered

Ok im going to chime in ,I have another post on here in regards to cooling water restriction, My bravo transom assembly has corroded the water inlet almost shut. I was looking into putting a transom mounted water pickup on the boat because repair of the restriction with the motor in is very hard.Now Imco and Latham have some nice pickups but it seems a little tricky getting these systems dialed in. The amount of distance betweenthe bottom of the pickup and the bottom of the boat. As much as we hate to admit it mercury must put them like this for a reason just like drive showers . If showers did that much would merc. put them on at the factory ,they dont cost that much. Also some say picking the water up in the drive and moving it through the drive help keep it cool.
Old 06-18-2007, 04:16 PM
Registered

I beleive merc. makes a block off plate that replaces the waterinlet neck on the transom . Maybe this thread should be in the technical area.
Old 06-18-2007, 04:17 PM
Registered

Sorry i spelled believe wrong.
Old 06-18-2007, 04:18 PM

I'll post over in the Tech section
Old 06-18-2007, 04:21 PM
Registered

I think there is a way to move this whole thing over but i don't know how. I am interested also .
Old 06-18-2007, 04:22 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Merc makes a block off plate and it goes screwed to the outlet on the transom plate. You remove the hose neck and install the plate. It is not a big ticket item and is an easy job. I would attach the hose from the transom assembly to a through hull fitting over the drives and dump the water onto the drives as a shower. It is better not to block off the water passage so that the water still flows through the drive; if you block it off, thedrive does not have any water flowing through it.

Last edited by thedonz; 06-18-2007 at 04:25 PM.
Old 06-18-2007, 06:05 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 53 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by rangerrick63
I goofed last weekend while out at the islands, I wasn't paying close enough attention, & drifted over a shallow sandbar. Cooling system got "PACKED" with sand. I got lucky though, it didn't go past the T-stat, & had it all cleaned out in about 30 mins (I'm so thankful Donzi set their engines so one can work on them quite easily)...anyway. I found several old threads on this unfortunate event (so, I didn't feel completely like an idiot ), but they all seemed to head in the direction of installing a transom mounted pickup. I can see how this would help, but what do I do with the pickup in the drive? I read where folks have used this as a drive shower, how is that done? I also saw one post saying there may be possible problems on a stepped hull. I went on the Stainless Marine site, they have some very nice set-ups, but not sure what size I would need to go with....Anyone got any tips on do's & don't's or am I just wasting my time with this, & should just really pay closer attention to the depth?
How many ya want ? I have three for sale
Made by Latham

Cougarman
Attached Thumbnails Transom mounted water pickup-transomepickup1.jpg   Transom mounted water pickup-transomepickup2.jpg   Transom mounted water pickup-thruhullntransomepickups.jpg  

Old 06-18-2007, 06:34 PM
Registered

on a bravo drive the pump is engine mounted , whether the pick up is thru the driveor on the transom or on the hull it still goes to the pump first , i'm confused about creating a drive shower out of it? i know u can with an alpha drive when you convert to a sea water pump on the engine , but with a bravo the pump remains in use right?
Old 06-18-2007, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by ENFORCER24
on a bravo drive the pump is engine mounted , whether the pick up is thru the driveor on the transom or on the hull it still goes to the pump first , i'm confused about creating a drive shower out of it? i know u can with an alpha drive when you convert to a sea water pump on the engine , but with a bravo the pump remains in use right?
I too am confused about that, hopefully someone can chime in with a few details on this.

Quick Reply: Transom mounted water pickup

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.