Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Been Towed???  How far was it?? >

Been Towed??? How far was it??

Notices

Been Towed??? How far was it??

Old 06-20-2007, 07:52 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lost a motor @ nyc poker run last year. Idled back to atl highlands jersey on one from the gw bridge. 6 hours. Had a wedding reception that night on a party boat there , pulled the boat up the ramp , drove to the other end of the lot and walked down the dock to the party boat. Just made it wearing my clothes from the day! Was fun anyway and no one cared but I did get my drink on after that long idle home!
Old 06-20-2007, 08:34 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

6 years ago the engine died at the north end of the lake about 3 in the afternoon. I couldn't figure it out and the cell phone wouldn't get a signal. I tried to flag down everyone that passed by and no one stopped to help. I had a cold 12-pack and commenced to drink and drift towards shore. It was after dark when the lake patrol showed up around 9m and gave me a tow of about 3/4 a mile to a really crappy marina, Southwinds. When we got there the owner of the marina said I had to put fuel in the boat since I didn't slip there, he charged me a $50 service charge while his illegal mexican pumped the fuel. When he was done the lake patrol then had me do a sobriety test on a wet and steep boat ramp, called me a Public intox case and took me to jail. The next day when I got back the marina owner wanted another $50 for letting keep my boat there over night. Paid the clown and found out that a fuse had blown in the ignition circuit. Never ever went back to that part of the lake.
Old 06-20-2007, 08:48 AM
Registered

With three motors I got 2 chances before I gotta worry about a tow.

But I still make sure my Sea Tow membership is always paid.
Old 06-20-2007, 09:50 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Almost forgot, about 3 years ago I broke a rocker stud and then ran aground and filled up the pick ups with sand on the inner coastal near Morehead. Had to tie to a marker bouy until help arrived in my 32 Fountain. Got towed in by a 14 foot center console fishing boat with a 35 or 40 HP Yamaha engine. BOY was I embarassed.
Old 06-20-2007, 10:09 AM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

Since we're telling "funny" stories....last year at Harborfest we had a small runabout anchored near us yelling because we would start the motors every hour so the batteries wouldn't die. (stereo was pumping with 4 amps!!!) At the end of the day they were packing up to leave and kept mouthing off, then they hit their key......click...click....click!!!! OMG! Did they get an earful while they were being towed away with a dead battery!!!!!!
Old 06-20-2007, 10:34 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 939 Likes on 471 Posts

I toasted a motor in LOTO once just as i was entering Party cove....we figured WTF we are here might as well make the most of it! Well the part that sucked was that we were 24 miles away from our hotel!!!! Took us just about 4hrs on 1 motor going about 7mph with an occasional 9mph push when the waves hit us just right! I was lucky enough to driev the whole way home while the rest of the guy passed out and slept the whole way! Oddly enoug through i had plenty of women flash me as they passed by so it wasnt a total loss!

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 06-20-2007, 11:45 AM
Registered

Not towed, but broke a blade off one of my Kamma props about 25 miles from the ramp. 1:30am on Monday arrived at the ramp. It was a good first date
Old 06-20-2007, 01:24 PM
Toxic FORMULA
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Roger
Almost forgot, about 3 years ago I broke a rocker stud and then ran aground and filled up the pick ups with sand on the inner coastal near Morehead. Had to tie to a marker bouy until help arrived in my 32 Fountain. Got towed in by a 14 foot center console fishing boat with a 35 or 40 HP Yamaha engine. BOY was I embarassed.
You want EMBARASSING...How about this . Buddy ran out of gas less than a mile from his dock after a 5 mile WFO run . Got towed most of the way by a snailboat that had to be 50 to 60 feet. Then a center console the last 200 feet because the water wasn't deep enough for the snailboat
Attached Thumbnails Been Towed???  How far was it??-dsc01682-medium-.jpg   Been Towed???  How far was it??-dsc01685-medium-.jpg  
Old 06-20-2007, 01:29 PM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by mopower
You want EMBARASSING...How about this . Buddy ran out of gas less than a mile from his dock after a 5 mile WFO run . Got towed most of the way by a snailboat that had to be 50 to 60 feet. Then a center console the last 200 feet because the water wasn't deep enough for the snailboat
I would have stayed adrift,

Last edited by Wobble; 06-20-2007 at 01:59 PM.
Old 06-20-2007, 01:30 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Getting towed by a blowboat had to be tough. i'm surprised you found a charitable owner- lasyt I heard, they didn't like them "Cigarette boats".

I got hung up on a sandbar in the middle of a river once, right by a busy ramp heading out to Lake Erie. The only people who would help were a couple of old guys in a 12' Sea Nymph with a 15 hp outboard. It was enough to get us off- just.

Last edited by Chris Sunkin; 06-20-2007 at 02:40 PM.

Quick Reply: Been Towed??? How far was it??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.