Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Launch ramp in Holland, Michigan (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/161404-launch-ramp-holland-michigan.html)

rv 06-20-2007 11:49 AM

Thanks for the replies,
Mike, sorry for hopping on your thread but this is all good info!

We will be overnighting with the truck/trailer. Will the Dutton ramp work for our 43'. Any areas to watch out for.

Sounds like the DNR ramp is no good if need to park overnight and may not work for our boat length.

We did South Haven's ramp last year. It worked but was not the best setup for boats our size. Any issues/changes with that location since last year?

Rick

sommerfliesby 06-20-2007 11:59 AM

No worries here, Rick! All info is good info. And here's some for ya....we launched at South Haven last weekend...not too much difficulty, my trailer dragged at the top of the ramp, but it sits pretty low. Also, we had to dip the thing like 5 times when pulling out to get it to sit correctly on the bunks...current screwed with us a bit. Bob Z launched his 42 Fountain as well and had the same success.

Thanks for the info everyone.

Rambunctious 06-20-2007 12:02 PM

I have friends that use the Dutton ramp with their runabouts
it is shallow left of the ramp (looking out at the lake)
stay inbetween the cans and keep it trimmed up till the wake zone and you will be fine . the lake is too silty to see the bottom
good parking, not sure if you can stay overnight

I use the DNR launch with my 33'. larger boats launch there too
deeper in general, but stay in the channel markers all the way to it's red/green bouy pair. then strait toward the Holland channel. cutting the corner out of the dnr will get you mud in your drives.,
Possibly could ask at ELdeans marina next door for overnight parking. they have room in an overflow lot with an overhead light, near Ottawa beach road. I am going boating tonight ( with Venomous) , launching at the DNR.
we will do some checking for you on Eldeans or other parking options next to the ramp.

I'll try to post a chart if I can find it( using waterfoul acount to post pics)

Ramb

Waterfoul 06-20-2007 12:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
lake mac pic

tamburello 06-20-2007 08:48 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I launch out of Macatawa Bay Yacht Club's ramp. They extended the ramp two or three years ago, but I'm only putting in an 18 Donzi so I can't speak to it having enough length for your Fountain.

- Jeff

sommerfliesby 06-21-2007 05:57 AM

I have been going up by MBYC for a few years now...my buddy and his parents are members there. It's like the Yacht Club out of an 80s movie...lots of stuffed-shirt prepped-out sailboaters...I think launching a bright-red Fountain there would probably be freakin' hilarious, and I'd do it in a second just to see the looks on people's faces...but I'm not sure the ramp is long enough, like you said.

Tibbstoy2 06-21-2007 07:51 AM

I launched my 32 Active Thunder at both Dutton park and the DNR launch last year.

My issue was also with my trailer scraping at the DNR launch, it's pretty low to the ground... it barely scrapes though. I do like the DNR launch because it is usually never affected by conditions of the lake and it is deeper with more ramps. Also, the Dutton ramp commonly has junk floating around, a little disconcerting.

Rambunctious 06-21-2007 08:53 AM

Eldeans ( next th DNR) said no room for trailer overnights... oh well

a coworker has parked his trailer overnight at DNR. I will check with him to get a phone number to call. No one was manning the booth last night

Venomous took some pics of the ramps, but is out today. We will post pics on Monday when he returns

Ramb

SHAWNA 06-21-2007 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by tamburello (Post 2170908)
I launch out of Macatawa Bay Yacht Club's ramp. They extended the ramp two or three years ago, but I'm only putting in an 18 Donzi so I can't speak to it having enough length for your Fountain.

- Jeff

Tamburello, are you a MBYC member, or do you have to pay by the launch? I was always curious how much it would cost. I see your Donzi there often.

BL6 06-21-2007 11:44 AM

So is there overnight parking at Dutton ramp?