Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
What's a Good Source of Basic Info? >

What's a Good Source of Basic Info?

Notices

What's a Good Source of Basic Info?

Old 06-23-2007, 09:41 AM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts
Default What's a Good Source of Basic Info?

Rather than bother experienced folks with a bunch of technical questions - can anyone tell me if there's a good book or reference that outlines the basics of offshore performance boating, specifically engine/drive/prop/rigging issues.?

I mean - I have a good familiarity with engine basics - but it's based on automotive knowledge, and I know things translate differently when it comes to boating. I mean, when I was 21, I knew what my '69 Nova was capable of with a 396 and a big 4-barrel carb vs. having a 350 small block with a big cam and a high-rise mani running duals. You got torque - or you got high rpms - you combine that with the right rear end and you takes your pick...with lots of choices in-between. Of course, with cars, you're talking about ONE engine as well. What's different with boats...or what's the same?

For example, if I'm looking to have a boat in the 24-30' range that I can enjoy with my friends and have it hit 65-70mph at the top end, what am I looking at? Where should I start for a basic combination of reliability, cost-effectiveness and adequate power?

Oh yeah - most of my time will be on Lake Erie - or Lake Michigan.

Thanks.
Old 06-23-2007, 09:46 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just ask away on here. I found that the experience on this site is much better then any book. Plus you can actually call and speak to people who have been there, tried that!
Old 06-23-2007, 09:53 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ask away! Every one on this board likes to learn everything there is to know. I have learned a ton since i joined and will never know what some of the guys have forgotten. So post away and welcome.

Last edited by BY U BOY; 06-23-2007 at 10:17 AM.
Old 06-23-2007, 10:07 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This website is by far the best book money could buy, pay for the best membership so you get to see the pcitures and have the most access on the site. Ask any question/s you have, everybody in the performance boating world I have ever meet loves the sport and loves to talk about it.
The first couple of things you should know...........
Cat are better then V's
Skater is the top of custom right now
Outerlimits is better the beak boats.....
Ah what else... j/k

You'll know it all in a short time, a lot of very knowledgalbe people on here.
Andy
Old 06-23-2007, 10:11 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Just don't ask any Questions about Apache's
Old 06-23-2007, 10:15 AM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Or Subway.
Old 06-23-2007, 10:17 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Edward R. Cozzi
Or Subway.
Old 06-23-2007, 10:17 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

And if you don't behave and you are a bad boy on here Speed Girl will hand cuff you, tie you down, break out her whips and chains, whip cream, and ................ Oh nevermind
Old 06-23-2007, 10:29 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Like the guys said, welcome and start asking and learning. The guys who build and race boats frequent this site. You could buy a library worth of info and not beat what is available here. It's a lot of fun too.

I boated on Lake Erie for many years before moving to Florida. I can tell you that the bigger and heavier the boat the better. It's rough water and a smaller boat gets thrown around quite a bit. A 30 would work nicely though. Just my opinion.

Mark
Old 06-23-2007, 10:54 AM
Registered

Received 282 Likes on 170 Posts

No need to ask away - just use the search function. Most everything has already been asked.

Quick Reply: What's a Good Source of Basic Info?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.