Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
How did you decide on which boat for your first? >

How did you decide on which boat for your first?

Notices

How did you decide on which boat for your first?

Old 06-25-2007, 10:16 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jmeng
Gonna be hard to get into a twin 525 efi boat for under 100K. How much boating experience do you have, where do you usually boat, what kind of tow vehicle do you have, how mechanically inclined are you (do you want a project or something you'll rarely have to turn a wrench on), do you want single or twin engines,ect? Just a few of the things you'll need to think about before you start looking at boats. For a 100K you could have your pick of brand new 25 - 27' boats or buy a 5 or 6 year old 35'. Depends on what your priorities are.
it doesnt have to be a twin 525 efi. I could do a 496ho twin setup. Ive owned 6 boats, last few have been mid 20's Cobalts. No projects wanted. Id prefer a twin setup, i guess even a 350ci could work, but want a big block twin setup. I have an 07 2500HD Duramax 4x4 crewcab to pull it with.
Old 06-25-2007, 10:25 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd suggest something like a 32 Sunsation, Baja 33 Outlaw, Fountain 35 Executioner (might have to stretch the budget a hair), 31 Sonic, 312 Formula, and the like. Spend some time online getting a feel for the different models and the pro's/con's of each. Crawl around in as many as you can. Once you know enough to get serious about buying start taking some test drives. You'll find that the list gets pretty short real quick.
Old 06-25-2007, 11:15 AM
Registered

wow, you like those outboards? I just cant accept that sound they make, i gotta have big block throaty open exhaust!
Old 06-25-2007, 11:16 AM
Registered

I'd suggest something like a 32 Sunsation, Baja 33 Outlaw, Fountain 35 Executioner (might have to stretch the budget a hair), 31 Sonic, 312 Formula, and the like. Spend some time online getting a feel for the different models and the pro's/con's of each. Crawl around in as many as you can. Once you know enough to get serious about buying start taking some test drives. You'll find that the list gets pretty short real quick.

My goal is atleast 80 mph, is that attainable with my parameters?
Old 06-25-2007, 11:23 AM
Registered

80 mph with 496 HO's is a little tougher. The Fountain 35 Ex will get close, probably the Sunsation also. I wouldn't get too hung up on a number though, its usually only good for bar talk anyway. If you're dead set on that you might need to look at a little older boats with 500 efi's.
Old 06-25-2007, 11:27 AM
Registered

80 mph with 496 HO's is a little tougher. The Fountain 35 Ex will get close, probably the Sunsation also. I wouldn't get too hung up on a number though, its usually only good for bar talk anyway. If you're dead set on that you might need to look at a little older boats with 500 efi's.
yea, not dead set on that number, 75 is fine, I just want something that will get up and run like a raped ape. My Cobalt with the 496HO was just a dog, maybe 55mph max, unloaded.
Old 06-25-2007, 11:32 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by uthustler
My goal is atleast 80 mph, is that attainable with my parameters?
A lot of good advice from everyone, but most importantly you need to find the boat that meets your boating objectives, meaning type of conditions, staying on the boat over weekends, purely a day boater, kids, no kids, multiple friends boat with you, etc. These things determine for me what type of boat makes sense for someone. All brands offer something different so find the amenities that you think make sense for you and then go match that up with the manufacturerer that builds those amenities. You are blessed that it is a buyer's market out there so be patient and there are a lot of great boats out there, be careful though because there is a lot of abused junk out there as well. Run the ideas across the board like you are doing and when you find a boat that you like, run it across the board here as well. You will be happily surprised that boats do carry a past which can always be good in finding a good one. Good luck and happy boating. Hammer
Old 06-25-2007, 11:32 AM
Registered

They're all going to feel fast compared to a Cobalt. Most 30 - 35 footers out there will run mid to upper 70s with HOs. Makes for a good, reliable package that doesn't burn a stupid amount of gas.

If it was my money, for where I boat I'd be looking for a 35 Executioner but everyone has different tastes...
Old 06-25-2007, 11:46 AM
Registered

Default Pantera

Someone mentioned Pantera earlier. I haven't riden in one but have heard they are good in the rough especially for their size.

Fastboats.com has a 1999 28 Pantera that was repowered with new 500 EFI's and drives in 2006. In other words the real expensive stuff should be solid. The pictures they have make it look pretty good. You could spend a little more money and have some nice graphics or the dash and gauges upgraded and have a real looker. They list the top end at 85 and with twin 500's with tube headers it will definently sound the way you want. They are asking 80K but it has been for sale for awhile. I bet you could get a good price on it.

Fastboats.com has two locations, one in FL and one in TX so I bet getting it to you would be fairly easy as well. Not trying to push them on you but I have met Randy and he seems very genuine.

Maybe some others could weigh in but I think this would meet most of what you could ever want. Good luck.

Last edited by knockld; 06-25-2007 at 11:48 AM.
Old 06-25-2007, 03:11 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by hammer01
A lot of good advice from everyone, but most importantly you need to find the boat that meets your boating objectives, meaning type of conditions, staying on the boat over weekends, purely a day boater, kids, no kids, multiple friends boat with you, etc. These things determine for me what type of boat makes sense for someone. All brands offer something different so find the amenities that you think make sense for you and then go match that up with the manufacturerer that builds those amenities. You are blessed that it is a buyer's market out there so be patient and there are a lot of great boats out there, be careful though because there is a lot of abused junk out there as well. Run the ideas across the board like you are doing and when you find a boat that you like, run it across the board here as well. You will be happily surprised that boats do carry a past which can always be good in finding a good one. Good luck and happy boating. Hammer
thanks hammer. I will mainly be using it on lake grapevine or lake lewisville, even though i prefer Texoma, just not sure if i can make it up there each weekend. My wife and I just had our first daughter (5 mos old) so we will have kids on this boat eventually. Im just ready to step up from the cobalt, even though it met my needs quite well.

Quick Reply: How did you decide on which boat for your first?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.