Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Boating in Raleigh, NC (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/162201-boating-raleigh-nc.html)

Ange 07-09-2007 04:04 PM

Fellow Raleigh-ite! I have to agree on the assessment of the local lakes. I wouldn't trust putting anything I spent money on in Falls Lake. I've seen it almost dry and there are tons of tree stumps all over the place. I've only been to Jordan once, and I wouldn't have thought it was big enough to run anything but a pontoon on. But then, that could be an impaired judgement due to alcohol consumption.

I am slightly partial to High Rock, as my family has a house there. I have been over to Norman, Wylie and to Smith Mountain. All were great. I've skiied Gaston, it was pretty nice up there.

Foley24 07-10-2007 03:10 AM

Raleigh does have a lot to be desired as far as the lakes go. Good thing we have some better lakes within a few hours. Thanks for the info everyone.

mlitefan2 07-10-2007 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by Foley24 (Post 2192458)
Raleigh does have a lot to be desired as far as the lakes go. Good thing we have some better lakes within a few hours. Thanks for the info everyone.

As was mentioned before, Kerr lake is a great body of water to run on. Massive, wide open lake that doesn't see much traffic at all. I have a place on the lake and run a 288 Sunsation. There are a handful of go-fasts on the lake every weekend but mostly fishing and pontoon boats. Ca$hed Out, another member here also has a place on the lake and he just purchased a bad a$$ 32 Sunsation.

Several very nice campgrounds to choose from, all with waterfront sites.

http://www.ils.unc.edu/parkproject/visit/kela/do.html

Not many marinas on the lake and no bars/restaurants although you can take the long ride up to Clarksville, tie up to the public docks and take a very short walk into town for some grub. You can also pick pretty much any spot you like and beach the boat. White sandy beaches surround the lake and the Core owns the land so you are not trespassing on anyone's property. Very laid back boating.
http://www.clarksvilleva.com/

If you decide to head up, let me know and I will be happy to show you around! Depending on where you are in Raleigh, you could be as close as 30 minutes or as far away as an hour.

Dock Holiday 07-10-2007 11:17 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Kerr Lake

I'm about three hours away and have wanted to come up there and boat for some time now. If you are coming up I-85 where is the best place to launch a 36 foot boat that has a good ramp with truck and trailer parking?

We are all about the scenery and no crowds!

I hope to see some of you guys up there this summer.

Check out this picture taken last weekend up on the Tennessee River just out of Knoxville. Talking about a beautiful area!

Foley24 07-10-2007 09:55 PM

Thanks for the links mlitefan2, I'll check them out. Hopefully will meet you guys in the future!

socalstone 07-10-2007 11:01 PM

Dock, There are a ton of ramps at Kerr Lake that are very nice and should easily be able to accomodate you. I wish I knew the names of the ramps better. -I'm sure mlitefan2 will know.

All of my trips there were traveling from Maryland down and we most often used the ramp near longwood campground, but that one is probably too small for your rig.

Last time I went there (late sept 05) we came in from the east (from Gaston) and used a facility near Kerr's dam- it was big, empty and was at least as nice as Queens Landing ramps and parking.

My experience has been the northern part of the lake (in Virginia) is less populated, but everything I've seen has been incredible. I don't think you could go wrong anywhere on that lake.
Just be sure to bring your binoculars for the bald eagles

Dock Holiday 07-11-2007 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by socalstone (Post 2193722)
Dock, There are a ton of ramps at Kerr Lake that are very nice and should easily be able to accomodate you. I wish I knew the names of the ramps better. -I'm sure mlitefan2 will know.

All of my trips there were traveling from Maryland down and we most often used the ramp near longwood campground, but that one is probably too small for your rig.

Last time I went there (late sept 05) we came in from the east (from Gaston) and used a facility near Kerr's dam- it was big, empty and was at least as nice as Queens Landing ramps and parking.

My experience has been the northern part of the lake (in Virginia) is less populated, but everything I've seen has been incredible. I don't think you could go wrong anywhere on that lake.

THANKS!

mlitefan2 07-29-2007 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by socalstone (Post 2193722)

That would be North Bend. I think they charge $5.00 for day use but as I said earlier, it is also a great place to camp.