Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Cat Insurance Situation Has Gone Beyond Ridiculous! >

Cat Insurance Situation Has Gone Beyond Ridiculous!

Notices

Cat Insurance Situation Has Gone Beyond Ridiculous!

Old 06-29-2007, 10:07 PM
Registered

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Cat Insurance Situation Has Gone Beyond Ridiculous!

I was looking at a 32' Skater, and thought I would get some price quotes for insurance. I was prepared for it being a lot higher than a V-bottom. I was NOT prepared for the insurance brokers to flat turn me down.

They all said, "No prior cat experience, no insurance." Seems like a Catch 22 to me.

Here's how ridiculous it is.

I can buy a 174 mph sports car, and get decent rates, drive it for 60,000 miles without even a door ding, but I can't buy a Cat.

I can do years of testing for GM on their test tracks, but I can't get Cat insurance.

I've driven boats since i was 8, but I can't get Cat insurance.

I've never had an at fault car or motorcycle accident, and have no tickets on my driving record, but I can't get Cat insurance.

I was a teenager decades ago, but I can't get Cat insurance.

I've driven cars and motorcycles since I was 16, never had one claim, but I can't get Cat insurance.

My credit rating was the highest the car dealer ever saw, but the insurance companies don't even take it into account.

I could get a pilot's license, and buy a 200 mph airplane, get airplane insurance after a check ride, but I can't get Cat insurance.

I can take a 2 day performance boating course, but i still would not be able to get Cat insurance.

This has gone beyond the point of ridiculous. I can see why they have so many claims. Apparently, it doesn't seem to matter whether or not you a responsible person when it comes to Cat insurance. They just look at whether or not you have Cat experience period.

I guess I should look on the bright side. They aren't going to get a huge chunk of my money, and get to keep it all, because there aren't any claims.

Michael

P.S. I wonder is AARP insures Cats?

Last edited by Michael1; 06-29-2007 at 11:37 PM.
Old 06-29-2007, 10:11 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like the odds in the insurance world is that a newbe Cat owner is a bad write.
Old 06-29-2007, 10:49 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 813 Likes on 373 Posts

Definately a catch 22,will there be no new cat owners,even if they are willing to pony up insane amounts for insurance? Smitty
Old 06-30-2007, 12:05 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Back4More
Looks like the odds in the insurance world is that a newbe Cat owner is a bad write.
ya think?
Old 06-30-2007, 06:28 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Michael1
I was looking at a 32' Skater, and thought I would get some price quotes for insurance. I was prepared for it being a lot higher than a V-bottom. I was NOT prepared for the insurance brokers to flat turn me down.

They all said, "No prior cat experience, no insurance." Seems like a Catch 22 to me.?
Would they insure you with a different cat? Say a 29' DCB or 30' Eliminator? Maybe one with less HP? Or NO CAT period?
Old 06-30-2007, 08:43 AM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Smile

Sit tight.

I have it from a very reliable source that there's a big breakthrough in high performance boat insurance right around the corner.

Stay tuned and remember you heard it here first.
Old 06-30-2007, 08:48 AM
JC Performance Engines
Gold Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

how about a twin ob cat? like a 30 amt? would that be easier?
Tantrum? u there? have things changed?
Old 06-30-2007, 08:53 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 54 Likes on 26 Posts

Can you get liability insurance only and then get an umbrella?
If you could, I would think you would have to pay cash for the boat.
Old 06-30-2007, 09:03 AM
Registered

You need to figure out how to get around the system, if in fact it is an experience thing you need to mfg this experience. Fight fire with fire, or in this case fight ignorance with intelligence. I say stoop to their level and play the game. Cut and paste my friend, cut and paste.
Old 06-30-2007, 10:02 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take Tres Martins course, then self insure. Markel is the only one writing cat policies and they are a PITA to deal with.

Quick Reply: Cat Insurance Situation Has Gone Beyond Ridiculous!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.