Notices

Fastest 28 Nordic Heat

Old 07-04-2007, 09:17 AM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 8 Posts

One of our customers dynoed his 540/M3/Rtech combo at JimKid Motorsports last year and saw 1000 HP @ 6000 RPM with 9.5 psi intake boost (on cast iron heads), so Nordicflame's estimate of 1050 HP on better aluminum heads (therefore lower boost) sounds pretty close to me.
Old 07-04-2007, 10:15 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Young Performance
Nordicflame
Also, this boat ran 72 with a 496 Mag HO
Thanks, Eddie.
Intersting. That's about what all the Rage's I've tested run with the HO. Never seen more than 66 in a 28 running at our lakes, and that was under very good conditions, usually 63-64 range. Where and under what conditions were these numbers recorded? GPS? What prop and rpm? Is this a closed bow or open?
Old 07-04-2007, 10:42 AM
Registered

Eddie, I just went back and looked at Steve's dyno numbers to refresh my memory. They are posted in the Nordic section. Take a look at them and tell me what you think. You think it really made peak torque at 6500 RPM? Those numbers are totally out in left field for some reason...
Old 07-04-2007, 11:36 AM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

I haven't seen the dyno sheet, only talked to Eric about it. He called me to get my take on it. He thought he had to much cam in it.
I did not run the boat that fast but I did see the recall on the gps speedo. Maybe it did go down a waterfall I can't explain it. That is why I was thinking these boats are faster than they are based on that. I don't really have any experience with this particular hull so I can't tell you why there is a diff. The boat is an 06. Has Nordic changed anything?

Tomcat, those are some very impressive numbers. I may need to think about using one of your setups. Nothing else is making that kind of power. I actually saw you and wanted to talk to you at Tickfaw but never got the chance. Congrats, Eddie.
Old 07-04-2007, 02:02 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bobl
Intersting. That's about what all the Rage's I've tested run with the HO. Never seen more than 66 in a 28 running at our lakes, and that was under very good conditions, usually 63-64 range. Where and under what conditions were these numbers recorded? GPS? What prop and rpm? Is this a closed bow or open?
A recent issue of HotBoat magazine had an article on GPS vs. Radar vs. pitot tube speedometer readings. It's been awhile since I read this, but learned that sometimes GPS readings have a glitch to a much higher reading temporarily when switching satellites or something. It can be 5 mph, and you will see this when reading a stored max speed reading, or pulling up a recall. This can account for a one-time, never to be repeatable performance. Maybe this is an explanation?
Old 07-04-2007, 02:27 PM
Registered

The owner told me that the boat RAN 72 on gps. I was not there so all I could do was hit the recall. He didn't specify if it was a one time deal or not. I will ask him next time I talk to him. I have personally seen a 5 mph difference between a gps/ plotter and a gps speedo in the same boat. I don't remember which was higher. Ultimately, there is only one way to find out. I guess I'll have the answer to my speed question soon enough.(well maybe not soon enough for the customer ) Thanks everyone for your replies, Eddie.
Old 07-04-2007, 05:54 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Eddie,
When I was racing, I kept a logbook of every pass.
I don't keep the same excellent records now that I did then with ET/RT/TS/RPM/EGT/ETC of every pass, but I can read my recall guages, and I'm pretty good at math. So here's my take:
1 my boat ran 76MPH stock when I bought it
2 next year, with an AZSM boost kit/ECU preprogramming, and a little prop work it ran 80
3 with the addition of Whipple intercooler and pullying up from 3.5" to 3" (6 PSI before and after the intercooler), it ran as you saw it December 85/86 (perfect conditions), and 83/84 in summer heat.
4 it ran a best of 94.5 this spring with Merc lab 32" B1 @ 5700
5 in summer heat and loaded (yesterday) it ran 89 @ 5750 with my regular 28" P5-X
I did run my 28" 90 lightly loaded at Cumberland @5850, and Bob's 29" also ran 90 @5700, and still pulling.
Bob and I and every other Heat tested here to our knowledge required 17HP to gain 1 MPH.
If you take Mercury's # of 550 PSHP on my 575SCI equalling 76 MPH (right in line all our #s), then it's taken 314.5 additional horsepower to get 94.5 MPH (94.5mph - 76mph = 18.5mph increase x 17HP per mph = 314.5 increase over stock 550 + 314.5 = a more realistic 864.5HP)
Take my word for it Eddie, the dyno #s don't add up to reality. There's no way the Nordic Heat (a BIG 28'er) will run in the 90s on 700HP. I wish they did.
A desktop dyno of my motor naturally aspirated is 700+HP. The BAM website says 826HP, currently configured (I don't know if that's bobtail or PSHP).
Based on your HP estimates for Nate and Jeff's motor, I think you'll knock on or exceed 100 in good conditions, and run mid 90s easily in heat and humidity. The extra torque of the 598" should make it more consistent/less weather sensitive than mine (+ or - 5MPH).
I have driven their boat. It needs rigging refinement, but handles similarly to mine, which is good. I would also impress on them and everyone else running these #s to wear good life jackets and hook up that kill switch!
Hope to see them back on the water soon. They're nice guys, but have had some tough luck so far.
Regards,
Steve

Last edited by Steve Zuckerman; 07-04-2007 at 06:13 PM.
Old 07-04-2007, 09:04 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bobl
Eddie, I just went back and looked at Steve's dyno numbers to refresh my memory. They are posted in the Nordic section. Take a look at them and tell me what you think. You think it really made peak torque at 6500 RPM? Those numbers are totally out in left field for some reason...
Bob,
I totally agree. There is no way a Heat is going to run in the 90s with 713HP ...........
Please review my #s in the post above. Do you think they are realistic?
Thanks,
Steve
Old 07-04-2007, 10:27 PM
Registered

Those numbers sound right in line. Just had a thought. Don't you have an imco lower unit with a nose cone? If so that could account for the fact you're getting better slip numbers than me, and maybe a little more speed /hp.

Originally Posted by Steve Zuckerman
Bob,
I totally agree. There is no way a Heat is going to run in the 90s with 713HP ...........
Please review my #s in the post above. Do you think they are realistic?
Thanks,
Steve
Old 07-04-2007, 11:29 PM
Registered

Steve,
Thanks for posting. Your boat is the only one I have seen run. As I said, I have not seen your dyno sheet, so I can't comment on it. Since you have driven this boat, how fast did it run? They told me 72 but, as I said, I wasn't there so I have to take their word. I did see the recall, but that doesn't mean much. Forgot to mention earlier that the motor had a set of CMI headers. Don't know what they are worth for hp on the 496 HO. I have heard as much as 50 hp, but that sounds kind of high to me. Don't know.

The boat will get a lot of re-rigging. It needs a lot to make it reliable with this kind of hp. The last pair of motors that I did like this were for Eric Smith and made 967 and 963 hp. The only diff. in these motors are the heads. I used Dart CNC's on Erics and this motor has Brodix heads. It will be interesting to see the diff in hp.
All I knew is what I had heard. That was that your motor made 700-750 hp and the boat ran in the 90's. That was all I initially had to go on. I did not see the dyno sheet nor was I there, so I don't know if it is right or not. I don't even know what is in your motor. With those numbers, you could see my confusion when compared to everyone else's numbers. Sorry if anyone got their feelings hurt. This is a very passionate group and thats good. You guys can be a wealth of info for me in dialing in this boat. I will keep you posted, Eddie.

Last edited by Young Performance; 07-05-2007 at 12:19 AM.

Quick Reply: Fastest 28 Nordic Heat

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.