I left a 32 foot present for TnT Custom Marine last night >

I left a 32 foot present for TnT Custom Marine last night

Notices

I left a 32 foot present for TnT Custom Marine last night

Old 02-11-2002, 11:00 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post I left a 32 foot present for TnT Custom Marine last night

"Welcome to hi performance boating" LOL. Quote from my buddy as the tow boat dropped of my baby -GRIN- at TnT last night.

Sunday was an interesting day. Wanted to give GRIN a good run that day because Eric Colby from Boating Magazine was supposed to test GRIN (2002 Advantage 32) for Boating Magazine on Monday -today-. Met up with a buddy Ross (Sunsation 32) at Sunny Isles in Miami and we decided to give it a go in the Ocean down to Monty's in SoBe (for all you "foreigners" coming down to Miami this weekend, SoBe= South Beach). Ross is a guy I met on OSO and was the one who got me into this sport (So I'm not sure if I should thank him or shoot him ). Conditions were pretty crazy in the Ocean that day but hey, I had 15 trouble free hours on the boat and I wanted to let it rip in some big water. It was one of those days you like to see every once in a while ( where you just know speaker grilles are going to bust off and the head door is going to pop open) but definitely not the type of thing you'd want to run your boat thru all the time. Anyway, we got a good 15-20 minutes of that and arrived at Monty's for lunch.
After lunch, I wanted Ross to try out GRIN, we all got on and after like 1 minute in the water, the alarm goes off and we see right engine oil pressure is reading 0 . We stop, open the hatch and oil is everywhere... top of the hatch included. We dock it, clean off most of the mess and got oil to add back to the right engine (496 H.O.s). We have no idea how much we need to add so just kept looking at the dipstick. We wound up adding 3 gallons... (when I talked to Guy at TnT today, he told me no way it should hold 3 gallons). Anyway, so after adding the oil, we start her up again... oil pressure reads fine and we just don't see anything spurting anywhere. I let Ross take over, for about 5-10 minutes, we run it slow and fast and the oli pressure is looking good and visual inspection of the hatch not showing any obvious leaks...
At this point, problem #2 develops. The left engine temperature alarm goes off (you got to be kidding me! ). OK, so we stick it in reverse trying to free up any obstruction... blah blah, let it cool down some blah blah... engine still reading hot and not going down.
OK, So at this point, I got a working right motor after adding 3 gallons of oil, and a bum left motor. Ross takes my boat in on the one motor (I'm pretty new to Hi Performance boating and at this point was expecting a thunderstorm to appear right on top of us to put the icing on the cake).
We dock the boat... cause GRIN has an overheated left motor and a right motor which seemed to be working for now... Ross offers to take my boat up to my Marina on the one motor while I drive his Sunsation.
OK, so that's the plan and we start up the right motor on GRIN again -expecting to take it up to my Marina on the one engine-. and... you guessed it... , all the oil dumps out and pressure is reading 0 again.
I guess I could go on, but I'll stop it here. What I learned

1) When you get a new boat, run it hard a couple times before you take it far away.. I could just imagine what I'd be feeling if this chit happened in Bimini.

2) Warranties are a good thing

3) Have alot of cash on hand ( tip the marina personnel, overpriced on the water lunches with no free drink refills, tip the tow guy, ..be nice to the mechanic)

4) have the credit card ready (gas, gas, gas)

5) Warranties are a very good thing... this just convinced me to get the 5 year extended warranty on the motors and forget about Whippling them in the near future.

6) Hi Performance boaters are a real cool bunch... can't thank Ross enough for his help that day. Everything from trying to help me figure out what was happening with the motors to hooking me up with his BoatUS tow privelages to driving me up to TnT so I could tie up my boat when the tow guy arrived there (like 9 PM that Sunday night)... to his buddy Scott giving me and my friend a ride back to my Marina where our car was... like 3 PM to 9 PM that Sunday, GRIN was FUBAR and even though it was a bad situation... Ross's willingness and eagerness to help out made the situation as good as it could be.

7) Hey chit happens in this sport... and even so, It's all Good

Best regards all ---- John
Old 02-11-2002, 12:11 PM
Registered

Oh man that new baby lost her virginity the messy way!! Could you see where all this oil was coming from? That bilge must look like hell. Keep the info coming, I'd like to know WTF is up with that, you've said the motor was acting a bit wierd since the beginning, let's see what tnt says, they are some top notch people from what I've read, That mess though, what a shame, I'm glad to see you've kept your spirit's up. Reminds me of my first day out the day I took delivery of my boat, 5 minutes after leaving the marina hit a sandbar and sucked up mud and limping back on the one motor. It's been all good since then.

I help out other boaters when ever I can, as do most boaters, I've towed people in , and been towed in. Boaters; the coolest people in the world...especially offshore entheusiasts.

[ 02-11-2002: Message edited by: advantage_ROB ]
Old 02-11-2002, 12:24 PM
NICKSLICK

Imagine for a moment if you will... if your boat was 22 years old...

I wonder if Scarab will let me extend my warranty!

Hope you have better luck on your second attempt.

Old 02-11-2002, 12:40 PM
Charter Member #971
Charter Member

I'm curious did you figure out where the oil was coming from? And especially where 3 gallons went . My guess is you had so much oil in it that it filled every single passage and was sticking to the crank at speed. Once you stopped the oil had a chance to drain from where ever.

Hawaii no ka 'oi
Old 02-11-2002, 12:40 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Sorry to hear that one man . Good luck to ya . Let us know what they find . I had an experience like that last year with my new boat .I had all and one more . THe water fitting broke and tried to sink it ! Lucky it spraayed the ignition causing a miss and made me look for it . But mine was a new -used- boat with no warrentee ! Warentees are great ! Wish I had one .
Old 02-11-2002, 12:47 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Sorry to hear that! I had that happen to me one time, It ended up being a hose that goes to the oil cooler let go, very messy, but fixable!!
BTW, I e-mailed you earlier did you get it?

Good luck
Old 02-11-2002, 12:59 PM
FWK

Hey Jon, I was right about the credit cards and the cash. Sorry you had problems TNT will get you taken care of. Forrest

Old 02-11-2002, 01:02 PM
Member #2 ....Jeeezz
Charter Member

Happened to me .... running all day on a Friday in San Diego ... everything's running fine ... dock it for the night ... Saturday morning, check the bilge and find 6 quarts of oil down there ... oil all over the frickin' place ... after replacing the oil, we started the engine to see where it was leaking from ... oil streaming from the oil filter ... come to fine out that one of my Powershifters was a little too close to the filter and rubbed a hole in it ... I am one lucky dogg, there was no damage done.
Old 02-11-2002, 09:22 PM
Registered

Nick,

the only thing I want to imagine that is 22 yrs. old is...

Getting back to the boat. Prelim info is that the right engine got a little loose from it's mount and the oil pan on the engine hit a stringer that was located very very close to it. Apparently the oil pan got knocked off completely. So basically, the engine got loose, allowing chit to hit some other chit causing oil to fly everywhere... and then the oil caused a belt to fly off the left engine resulting in my overheating left engine. Sounds Good to me. ---- John

TnT suggested I might look into racing engine mounts... either that or the next time I run the boat for an hour off the coast of Miami and don't see another Offshore boat (excluding my psycho friend Ross).. maybe I should take that as a sign that I should be running in the intracoastals that day
Old 02-11-2002, 09:42 PM
Registered

Is this a joke ? 3 Gallons of oil, the pan fell off, belts and chit hit chit, I would be interested in hearing the details, at the party on Friday night. Hope you got those warranty cards at your finger tips.

Thats why they call it pleasure boating !!

[ 02-11-2002: Message edited by: thespy ]

Quick Reply: I left a 32 foot present for TnT Custom Marine last night

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.