Notices

Gas or diesel generator

Old 11-26-2007, 04:48 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just curious Jeff . Do you and Sandy go to sleep with the Genny running ? I'm thinking if you wake up and need to run the air why cant you run the blower first ? Personally I like the idea of a Diesel Generator . Diesel boat too , but I understand your need for speed .
Paul
Old 11-26-2007, 05:09 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by 1bagger
Just curious Jeff . Do you and Sandy go to sleep with the Genny running ? I'm thinking if you wake up and need to run the air why cant you run the blower first ? Personally I like the idea of a Diesel Generator . Diesel boat too , but I understand your need for speed .
Paul

Yes, we have. sometimes it was cool enough in the evening that at 1 or 2 am I shut it off and with the cover on and door closed it actually stayed comfortable.
Old 11-26-2007, 07:45 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DonziJapan
The facts are the facts. A hazard exists thats why the Coast Guard has all the extra safety regulations for gasoline engines but not for diesels.
Bingo. Gas is more hazardous than diesel. Gas is spark igited versus diesel, which is a combustion ignition. As was pointed out, throw a match in a pool of diesel and it will go out.

My choice would be the diesel, if nothing else, for efficiency, and the lack of another source for a possible spark ignition in the engine compartment.
Old 11-26-2007, 08:41 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Wobble
Carbon Monoxide (CO gas) issue will be the same whether you go gas or diesel. As mentioned elsewhere, redundant CO detectors are the way to go.
Yup, they'll both kill ya.. IMO diesel is the only way to go, but I'm prejudiced.. First thing I would do in your case is install redundant CO detectors, then I would contact my insurance co and ask them if they will insure it with a gas unit.. Then your choice will be clear..
Old 11-26-2007, 08:45 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A diesel generator is more expensive initially, but cheaper to run. The danger of CO is prevalent with ANY combustion of a carbon/petroleum based fuel. Please don't EVER roll the dice and not have a reliable detector in your sleeping quarters. The stakes are too high.
Old 11-26-2007, 09:53 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is all I need to quote as the more you're typing, the less sense you're making.

The diesel genset is not protected like the gasoline genset.
Says who? They make marine diesel gensets that have a can (the electrical end) which is IDENTICAL to one that would be powered by a gas engine. The electrical side doesn't care what is turning it, just how fast it's going.

Are you just making this stuff up now?
Old 11-27-2007, 05:56 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

If they are brushless type they will be the same. If they are brush type there will be spark arrestor screens over all the cooling openings.Besides it's not just the backend! The starter and the alternator on the diesel engine are not protected like the ones on a gasoline engine. Equipment designed for operation in a gasoline enviroment and a diesel enviroment are built to different Coast Guard specs. Also just because stuff looks IDENTICAL doesn't mean it is! Take for instance the starter on GM engines. The automotive starter and the marine starter look IDENTICAL but they are not. If you tear both down you will find one extra flat washer in the marine one. That one extra washer makes it explosion proof. Alternators? those are easy. The ones designed for a gasoline enviroment have spark arresting screens over any cooling openings. The ones used on diesels don't. Whats up with this crowd? The CFRs covering this are written in 6th grade English. Some one makes a statement that is a fact backed up with Government Regulations and still the ignorant drive byes attack tooth and nail! Just because you tempt fate and win doesn't make what you're doing safe or correct. Also there is the insult to injury. God forbid you go ahead and keep breaking the safety rules and have an engine compartment fire. When its all over and the surveyor investigates for your insurance company and he finds unprotected equipment in your engine room. Insurance Coverage? What Insurance Coverage? You ain't got no stinking Insurance Coverage. Wise up quit arguing whats wrong is right just because it hasn't blown up in your face YET!

What do you do for a living.
Old 11-27-2007, 07:43 AM
Registered

Jeff, I think your main concern is whether or not you will have enough fuel on hand to run either.
Old 11-27-2007, 08:09 AM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Jassman
What do you do for a living.
Who cares? What he writes is fact. The regulations for marine gas engines are beyond tight. Diesel on the other hand are not tight at all.

Mix-matching gas and diesel is not a good idea.
Old 11-27-2007, 08:54 AM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Jassman
I was just told different, that is the main reason why I have gone this route. Many deaths from articles I have read due to the gas generators. It sounds like the gas generators have gotten better.

What does having two types of fuels, in seperate tanks, in totally different locations on your boat make it more combustable, especially when diesel is not combustable...someone explain that to me. Thanks Jeff
Jassman I am sorry that you were given bad info, Carbon Monoxide is one of the primary products of any combustion. Here is a good article re: safety. http://www.yachtsurvey.com/carbon_monoxide_alert.htm

Last edited by Wobble; 11-27-2007 at 08:57 AM. Reason: omission

Quick Reply: Gas or diesel generator

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.