Notices

Gas or diesel generator

Old 11-27-2007, 01:38 PM
DJD
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently had a very bad experience with a new Kohler Diesel generator. It was less than a year old & only had 28 hours on it when it stopped running. It would start & then shut right off. The kohler people scratched their heads for three months and finally had to remove it & get it back to their shop for repairs. Fortunately it was on my Bertram & I have a second generator.
Go a few extra dollars & buy a Northern Lights. That is what I have as the main generator. They are both 8kw but the Kohler sounds like a freight train going by. Both generators are less than a year old.
Old 11-27-2007, 01:49 PM
Registered

Received 743 Likes on 401 Posts

Jeff, I beleive Sunsation was going to go with Westerbeke on MP's F-4. Some good reading here --> http://www.westerbeke.com/

At one time they did talk about going with a Fischer Panda diesel genset but ultimately ended up at going with a gas genset.
http://www.fischerpanda.com/

Give John a call tonight and he can fill you in on all the details. He has had a few conversations with the factory on this topic.

Hope you, Sandy, and family had a great holiday weekend!
Old 11-27-2007, 03:22 PM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by DonziJapan
Alas somebody is doing their homework! Give the boy a gold star!
LOL. I'm always happy to back myself up. Thanks brotha!
Old 11-27-2007, 05:12 PM
Registered

The difference in noise levels is because the difference in engine rpms. The kohler is 3600 rpm to the 1800 of the northern lights. Northern lights is a decent unit it's a ISM (Shibaura) engine with a Taiyo Denki back end. But there is better bang for your buck. You will be happier with a Phasor unit built by South Eastern Power Products. They use a Kubota engine with a Stamford Newage back end. It's the most bullet proof unit I've seen so far.
I thought kohler was getting sued big time for making a crappy product?

I'm under the impression Northern Lights are bullet proof, but heavy. Great for a sail boat, I can't say I've seen them in many powerboats, have you? Seems to me that onan and westerbeke dominate the pleasure market for diesel anyway.
Old 11-27-2007, 06:55 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

Doesn't matter what fuel you use Carbon Monoxide is a serious danger! You have to adopt a multilevel program to defend against it. One on installation, install the unit isolated from any passenger compartments. Be sure so seal any wiring / control passages! Also exhaust the unit as far aft and as low as possible. Two prepare your passenger compartments. Install two detectors per passenger compartment. One high and one low close to the deck. Also install forced ventilation that exhausts floor level air out side below the shear and draws fresh air from above the shear. Three pay attention to your day to day operations keep your engine room closed during operation and always moor into the wind. Four use common sense the above suggestions are not everything keep your eyes open for new and undiscovered dangers

Thank You. Jeff
Old 11-28-2007, 01:16 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Westerbeke has the best gasoline units so they have the gasoline boat market sewed up.
Onan is the 600 pound gorilla in the room.

I've got the Westerbeke BPMG 3kw Gas and I'm really happy with it so far. and I always thought that Gorilla weighed 800 lbs.
Old 11-28-2007, 01:31 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So he is up to 800 lbs? Must be getting fat off the backs of the smaller manufacturers.
Big fish eat little fish
Old 11-28-2007, 12:03 PM
Registered

Wow, this is just an accident waiting to happen, right??? Those engines pushing the boat definately aren't diesel, and it's got a diesel generator in it... bunch of idiots. That boat should be worth pennies on the dollar...
http://www.offshoreonlyclassifieds.c...o19524-en.html
Old 11-28-2007, 12:33 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by jordy
Wow, this is just an accident waiting to happen, right??? Those engines pushing the boat definately aren't diesel, and it's got a diesel generator in it... bunch of idiots. That boat should be worth pennies on the dollar...
http://www.offshoreonlyclassifieds.c...o19524-en.html
No one said it couldn't be done, just that it's generally a bad idea. And it's not a bad idea for one single reason, there are multiple reasons, all listed in this thread.

To start off on the Cig in the ad, where is the gen set? It could be in it's own compartment away from any gas/gas vapors. It could also be a fully compliant gen set, if it is, great... the only thing that must happen is every owner buys the proper replacement parts.
Old 11-28-2007, 12:43 PM
Registered

Someone who calls people who are safety minded and law abiding "A bunch of idiots" needs to look in the mirror and use the the word "Idiot".
Someone who has no reading comprehension needs to look in the mirror when the term "idiot" pops up. Re-read it Sparky.

Quick Reply: Gas or diesel generator

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.