Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Gas or diesel generator (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/162894-gas-diesel-generator.html)

Jassman 07-08-2007 06:55 PM

Gas or diesel generator

What are the pro's and con's between the two. We do over night, and have always had diesel, but are worried about the Carbon Minoxide. Have the gas gotten better. Thanks Jeff

Buddy OO 07-08-2007 09:01 PM

Jeff, the new kohlers are very safe, stay with the same fuel source as the boat engines, the exhaust discharge on the nortech's are under the transom . would still have sensors in both cabin and engine compartment . I believe kohler has an auto shutoff c02 sensor available, like the overheat/oil low shutoff sensor. Sold my 50v so I'm looking at going back to a cat, still love the nortech 36, maybe the new extended roadster model. jim

ACTIVESHACK 07-08-2007 09:08 PM

I've got a Westerbeke 3 KW. It's gas and only weighs 165 lbs.
I think the builder is required to install a carbon monoxide detector with a gas generator.

bgchuby01 11-26-2007 06:08 AM

I owned for 6 years a sea ray 380ss and used the gas gen more than the engines. it was a 8kw westerbeke and never gave me a problem. Just changed the oil twice a year and kept on enjoying the air conditioning up at havasu

Jassman 11-26-2007 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by DonziJapan (Post 2347992)
Dont mix your engine room. Gasoline engines are built to coast guard spec. To prevent ignition of gasoline vapors. Diesels are not. Put a diesel genset in a gasoline boat or a gasoline genset in a diesel boat the boat go BOOM!!!:eek:

I ended up putting a diesel Mase genset in my gas boat, just like my last 5 boats...and im still around.:D

docmanrich37 11-26-2007 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by Jassman (Post 2348015)
I ended up putting a diesel Mase genset in my gas boat, just like my last 5 boats...and im still around.:D

But thats only because Sandy says your worth more alive.:D

Jassman 11-26-2007 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by docmanrich37 (Post 2348025)
But thats only because Sandy says your worth more alive.:D

Hey baby, aint that the truth, see ya in a few days:D Sandy

plumbers crack 11-26-2007 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by DonziJapan (Post 2348342)
The facts are the facts. A hazard exists thats why the Coast Guard has all the extra safety regulations for gasoline engines but not for diesels. The odds are 5 to 1 in your favor playing Russian Roulet but I bet you ain't taking a little spin at the cylinders any time soon. :evilb:

I have friend who was having a problem getting a gas generator in his fishing boat.Insurance didnt want to cover it without them being the same fuel,he had twin caterpillers in it.

Wobble 11-26-2007 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by Jassman (Post 2190705)
What are the pro's and con's between the two. We do over night, and have always had diesel, but are worried about the Carbon Minoxide. Have the gas gotten better. Thanks Jeff

Carbon Monoxide (CO gas) issue will be the same whether you go gas or diesel. As mentioned elsewhere, redundant CO detectors are the way to go.

Jassman 11-26-2007 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by Wobble (Post 2348487)
Carbon Monoxide (CO gas) issue will be the same whether you go gas or diesel. As mentioned elsewhere, redundant CO detectors are the way to go.

I was just told different, that is the main reason why I have gone this route. Many deaths from articles I have read due to the gas generators. It sounds like the gas generators have gotten better.

What does having two types of fuels, in seperate tanks, in totally different locations on your boat make it more combustable, especially when diesel is not combustable...someone explain that to me. Thanks Jeff