Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Boat Accident... Cop Killed (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/162922-boat-accident-cop-killed.html)

zitoracing 07-09-2007 01:11 PM

Rip :(

sleeper_dave 07-09-2007 02:23 PM

sad story, but lacking some details. was it in fact the drunks that caused the accident? were both vessels lit? How do they know the person was drunk, if they didn't even know who was driving? Did they test the people on either boat to see if they were drunk?

Still a tragedy, RIP :(

Reckless32 07-09-2007 03:06 PM

"2:30am" on a lake. There's more details to be known I'm sure. Bottom line, if you're out after dark especially on small water bodies, you better be on full alert to not HIT, or GET HIT. It's tough enough to not collide with folks on lakes in the daylight, much less in the black with shore lights confusing things.

Ms PatriYacht 07-09-2007 03:09 PM

missed the part about the 2:30 am time, when I first read the article. You do have to wonder why anyone would be out in a 18' boat and a ski boat at that time in the morning. Sad story lots of lives and families ruined once again by something avoidable:(

lucky strike 07-09-2007 05:43 PM

Very Sad !

JROMY 07-09-2007 08:01 PM

There are a lot more details in this article

http://www.syracuse.com/articles/new...840.xml&coll=1

I can't count the number of nights I spent on Skaneateles Lake. From my parents' Catalina 22 sailboat, to my 206 Formula, to my 259 Checkmate, we boated at night all the time, including at 2:30 in the morning. Around Skaneateles, summers are really short, there isn't that much to do, so when you can be outside on a warm night and hang on the water, we were there. You ran your nav lights, kept your eyes open, avoided the shallow spots in the Lake (there aren't very many), and stayed away from the shoreline (and the many boats on moorings there). There wasn't any challenge to doing it, and you never, ever, pictured something like this happening.
John was simply a great guy, and a close friend. He was one of those people you meet, and just never forget. He was always joking around, smiling, and always had something pleasant to say to everyone that came in contact with him. He went into police work because he really wanted to make the world a better place. He wanted to help people.
Why were they on the lake so late? Were the nav lights on? Was everyone drinking? To me, these questions all become trivial. To so many of us trying to make sense of this, the overriding question is how any human being, knowing full well the damage he had just caused, could speed off into the darkness leaving John and his girlfriend there to die without even making a simple phone call for help? He had a chance to at least make something right that night, but instead took off and ran.
My thoughts are with John and Heather's families in this really tough time. Godspeed John, you'll be deeply missed.

Expensive Date 07-09-2007 08:30 PM

:( RIP Brother

dykstra 07-09-2007 09:23 PM

Rip

RollWithIt 07-10-2007 04:16 AM

Sorry to hear about your friend. And to his defense, I see nothing wrong with being out on the water at 230 am. Ive done it many times. Heck, Ive even headed out later than that before. What matters family and friends now have to deal with the loss from some A-holes actions. :mad:

prosno 07-10-2007 06:02 AM

I've been on my brother in laws boat at 11:00 pm at night for a beautiful night cruise, going bearly above an idle and enjoying the calm lake at night-NOTE bearly above idle and also no drinking. I think being out at night can be an incredible ride but I can see for sure the boat that hit them was traveling way too fast for night conditions.
Its a damn shame and so young to.