Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Looking to buy first boat.  What questions to ask the seller? >

Looking to buy first boat. What questions to ask the seller?

Notices

Looking to buy first boat. What questions to ask the seller?

Old 07-09-2007, 02:54 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jmeng
All Fountains come with a Performance Report from the factory, ask the seller if he has it and if so get him to fax it to you.
If he doesn't you can call Fountain and they will fax one to you.
Old 07-09-2007, 04:00 PM
Steve_H

does he have anything other then a fountain for sale.

just kidding

always always get a survey. it will pay for itself.

Old 07-09-2007, 09:51 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

1. Survey and sea trial with the surveyor.
It may seem expensive- it's not. Figure the cost of stringers/transom/motors/drives/lost season into the equation and it's the cheapest thing you'll ever do with your new boat. It may suck to drop close to a grand to have it done. It sucks WAY WORSE to buy a boat and find out it needs $20k or more in work- work that isn't going to even get started until Fall.

2. Pay attention and don't fall in love.
This is a business transaction. Making the decision while envisioning your new toy draped in babes is never a good idea. The best place to see a boat is at the owner's location. If his garage & house are a mess, chances are, his boat is too. You can disguise alot of cosmentic neglect. I've never seen a person who was meticulous about his home and other toys overlooking the maintenance intervals on his boat. Decide BEFORE you start looking at boats exactly what your needs and limitations are. Cost out everything realistically. Big-inch blower motors have short, expensive rebuild intervals and are very expensive to insure. Talk to a marine insurer before shopping. If you won $100mil in the lottery and wanted the biggest, fastest cat made, no one would insure you. Make sure you know that you're insurable in what you're looking to buy and that you can stomach the $$$. Make sure the insurance is from a real marine insurer with a track record of servicing its customers and paying claims (i.e. someone other than Progressive) Your homeowner's/auto insurer may take you if it's not too fast.

3. Where are you going to keep it and what are you going to tow it with?
You aren't going to be able to tow your new Top Gun with Suzuki Samurai. "I spent it on the boat" is no excuse for not owning what you need to safely and legally pull your new toy. If you can't afford the fuel/insurance/storage/maintenance/repairs AND tow vehicle, you need to look at less boat.

4. You get what you pay for.
If it's got a strong history with documentation from reputable vendors, it's worth way more than buying one on the owner's say-so.
Old 07-09-2007, 10:03 PM
Registered

plus put a pic or ad site on this thread,if someone knows this boat good or bad,you will hear it
Old 07-09-2007, 10:46 PM
Registered

This is the boat I'm considering.

http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/4/3/89234843.htm

Here's what I know about it so far:

1996 Fountain Fever 29

Twin 502's, fuel injected, all stock, rebuilt 3 hours ago, replaced blocks (uncertain on reason cracked)
150 hours since rebuild
1 of the outdrives rebuilt
Bravo 1 Drives
Current owner (3rd owner?) purchased from Virginia 5 years ago as bank repo

That's everything I know so far. What do you all think? Thank you very much for all the great advice so far.
Old 07-09-2007, 11:14 PM
Registered

Are you local to the delta?
Old 07-09-2007, 11:21 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Waterdogs
Are you local to the delta?
Yes. I live in Stockton.
Old 07-10-2007, 12:30 AM
Registered

Go check the boat out to start with. Look at the overall condition of the boat. Is the gel faded, is the outdrive blistered, has it sat out in the sun or has it been in covered storeage? It's not uncommon for an outdrive to be replaced because of the area, it happens to everyone. If it looks good, then take it out for a good run. It's a good boat for the area, hope it works out!
Old 07-10-2007, 03:58 AM
Registered

Since a 29 Fountain is really a 26 footer. Ask him how much he's willing to discount to compensate for the missing length.
Old 07-10-2007, 07:38 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RollWithIt
Since a 29 Fountain is really a 26 footer. Ask him how much he's willing to discount to compensate for the missing length.
Ask if it's ever been capsized by its own wake coming over the transom when stopping suddenly. Seriously.

Quick Reply: Looking to buy first boat. What questions to ask the seller?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.