Notices

Refresher course on tabs

Old 06-30-2007, 09:28 PM
BL6
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Refresher course on tabs

Guys, maybe the memories slipping, but I've got a new boat & have confused myself on tabs. 35' twins, step hull.

Say I'm running into waves, & boat is leaning; port high starboard low. Do I want to drag my port tab, or does that make it worse? Or, would you adjust starboard tab?
Thanks for the help.
Old 06-30-2007, 09:43 PM
Enjoy the show
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Think of tabs like airplane ailerons. Same concept. If you want to raise the port side, lower the port tab.

Tucks the drives first, if you need more use the tabs. Trim in during a head sea and trim neutral to out for a following sea.

Be Safe. Always move trim in small increments and wait for the effect to take hold of the hull.

Most importantly. If you have trim indicators, put a straight edge on the bottom of the boat and mark the indicator with a dot of nail polish where everything is level with the bottom. This way the indicators will have some meaning.
Old 06-30-2007, 09:57 PM
Registered

Good Info Thanks
Old 07-01-2007, 05:59 AM
BL6
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 12 Posts

Ron - nice & clear, for some reason I was thinking the reverse on tabs effect. Also need to wait for effect to respond before more fine tuning. Looking forward to getting on water today!
Old 07-01-2007, 07:47 AM
Registered

BL6 when you say waves how big 2 to 3 or less? My 353 needs positve trim in any condition bigger water less trim but always + and I always use a the tabs to keep it straight one or the other.The 353 likes alot of trim or it will bow steer.Ron is right only bump the switch on the tabs when running hard cause to much will scare the chit out of you It is a great handling boat. goodluck with it.
JIm
Old 07-01-2007, 10:03 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by BL6
Guys, maybe the memories slipping, but I've got a new boat & have confused myself on tabs. 35' twins, step hull.

Say I'm running into waves, & boat is leaning; port high starboard low. Do I want to drag my port tab, or does that make it worse? Or, would you adjust starboard tab?
Thanks for the help.

after reading this i know why the insurance rates are what they are...is it a new boat to you or new boat....if new tell which dealer is not prepping his customer..twin-step will ro
ll on command..........

Last edited by el indio; 07-01-2007 at 10:08 AM.
Old 07-01-2007, 10:34 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Watch Reggie's segement on tabs in APBTV Episode 2:

mms://media.offshoreonly.com/OSOTV/Wmapbtv-episode2.wmv
Old 07-13-2007, 09:49 AM

I've gotten a bit more comfortable with my ZX, but I do have a question about tabs. I haven't really used them for anything other than leveling the boat; & I've been conserative with the amount of trim (it's the stepped hull thing ). I usually trim it to the point that I can feel the boat get a bit loose in the back, then I bump it back down a bit, but it seems as if that is where the boat wants to run. I just don't like the feeling, or perhaps I just haven't gotten used to the feel. So my question is....When I get to that point with the trim, would it benefit to drop the tabs a bit, or would that make things worse? This is only going straight, not while turning...that could be a bad thing .