Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   2 Merc techs scratch their heads (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/163362-2-merc-techs-scratch-their-heads.html)

Need-the-Speed 07-14-2007 01:42 AM

buddy of mine had a problem with a 525 going into gardian mode. After approx. one hour hooked to the lap top the Merc. Mech had no error codes or any reasons why? After he thought for a minute he decided to adjust the throttle cable linkage (connecting to the throttle body) . Backed it off a couple turns and everything was back to normal??!!!?? Yes I know it sounds strange. According to the mech. your not supposed to give that particular motor any throttle when starting. Apparently by have the linkage two or three turns over tight it gave the comp. a false reading. I was totally stupified. There are no codes for this particular instance. Good luck!

Phastenuf 07-14-2007 02:24 AM

I have a Baja with the 496HO, and after two years I had a similar problem. Mercury eventually replaced the wiring harness, which finally cleared the code. Today, two weeks after that the same problem, though I think this time it might just be a loose connection that needs to be tracked down.

Supposedly my problem was an error for low seawater pressure, but it really had plenty of pressure. It wasn't getting a good ground, and there was a service bulletin to remove some paint where two surfaces joined so that it could get proper ground.

The service manager at my marina said they have been having quite a few electrical bugs with the 496 motors.

FOXMXPSYCHO 07-14-2007 03:36 AM

I also forgot to mention that he said everything he pulls off one motor he pulls on the other(computers), completely identical almost as if the boat only had one motor. At this point it could be anything. Now if i could only relay all this information to them... getting a hold of kenny is pretty tuff. So how does the Lemon law work again?

VeeCat 07-14-2007 07:05 AM

It's not a lemon
All boats have problems at one time or another.
Some problems take more time to troubleshoot than fix,
The difference is how the dealer handles it.
Mercruiser has plenty of support and also wants your boat running properly.

gsmith9898 07-14-2007 07:14 AM

This is not a problem with eliminator, this is a problem with mercruiser. The power package (drive, motors) are shipped to them assembled and they install. If its a problem with the motors than merc needs to be getting it figured out or pull the motors and put new ones in.

VeeCat 07-14-2007 07:17 AM

By the way,
It is the end of the world being a Saturday in the middle of summer with Your new boat in the shop,
however,
I will kiss your a$$ if it can't be fixed.
Hang in there they will find the problem...............

Dave_N 07-14-2007 11:54 AM

After reading your other thread, it seems that the issue is the shift switch on one or both engines. Have you tried just diconnecting the switchs? Unlike some sensors, the shift switch will not set a fault when disconnected. You don't need them, in fact the early 496's didn't have them at all.

Dave

BAJA WILL 07-14-2007 12:07 PM

Brand new boat?? WTF call eliminator and tell them you are returning the boat and want a full refund. Document everything you have gone through. Tell them you have spent too much money on this NEW boat for this BS.

WILL

JJONES 07-14-2007 12:07 PM

FUEL TANK PRESSURE,OR LACK OF?Has anybody check to see if the fuel tank is venting correctly?If its not,the engines will not run because they are starving for fuel!Efi engines require high fuel pressure to run,so the fuel pump can put the tank in vacum in a hurry if the tank isnt vented right!Just a differant angle!Most of the time electronics either work or they dont.If all this has been check more than once,time to think outside if the box!Worth a try!

flat rate 07-14-2007 02:21 PM

I have a friend who was having the same problem it was construction debris in the tank and was clogging the fuel/water seperator. It took a lot to clean it out.