Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Mayfair add-on steering??? >

Mayfair add-on steering???

Notices

Mayfair add-on steering???

Old 11-23-2006, 09:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mayfair add-on steering???

I was just reading thru the December Powerboat, & came across CP Performance add showing a real good price on the Mayfair add-on steering system $995.95 (single ram). I was wondering if anyone has some input on this system. I've been looking at other brands, & that seems to be an outstanding price for this system, as long as the quality is good. One more question, will it be worth it to put on a Donzi 26ZX? I'm about to do a gimbal ring repair, & I do plan on removing the engine, so I was planning on doing it all at the same time.
Old 11-23-2006, 09:50 AM
'05 Concept SF23
VIP Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: Mayfair add-on steering???

Yes, the CP/Mayfair stuff is ok. You won't believe how much better your boat will handle.
Old 11-23-2006, 09:59 AM

Thanks, I think I will jump on it that price, I can't find any other company that can touch that deal.
Old 11-23-2006, 12:56 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Good thing to have. Might have avoided the gimble repair if you had one in the 1st place. Depending on the repair reasoning.

Nice thing about the add-ons, you can always up to full hyd easily later on as funds become availible to break up the sticker shock.
Old 11-23-2006, 01:39 PM

I actually just purchased this boat, & the gimbal condition was already there. Considering the owner dropped 5 grand off the asking price, I really found it hard to pass up. I knew the repair shouldn't top that...LOL...or at least was hoping, that was my selling point to the wife . Seriously, the boat is in perfect shape except for the gimbal ring, & thanks to you folks here on the site, I have learned of JR Bender, & his ablility to repair the gimbal. I have chosen to go the full engine removal...I was suprised to see how much room is in the engine compartment of the Donzi...So, I'm going to use this to my full advantage & do any preventive maintenance I can, including the steering add-on..perhaps next season, after I get more comfortable with the boat, & I venture into a bit more speed...I'll go to the full system.
Old 11-23-2006, 01:49 PM
Registered

How much extra is Latham? Did you read the interview with Mrs Latham?
Old 11-23-2006, 01:57 PM

I did start reading it...but then the Turkey was ready...LOL...I do plan on finishing the article. I did price Latham.....For a long time I was a "name brand" kinda fellow...then came the internet, & cool sites like this, with folks with much more knowledge & experience then myself....Oh, & I do ask alot of questions....is that not how we learn? ....In short, I am still "researching", but I have learned from my other hobby, "Streetrods"....Sometimes, there are great manufactures that are not "top shelf" that should be considered, as long as they are safe, & good quality.
Old 11-23-2006, 09:57 PM
Registered

last year I payed about 1100 for inside kit but it was missing stuff that took from last nov to aug to get straigthen out so I never got the inside hooked up yet doing the inside of the boat over this winter so I hope in the spring I have all the parts and not missing anything else .
Old 11-24-2006, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by OFFSHOREJOJO
I did a little research Mayfair is best price and perform well.,Just check with who ever is installing it it is complete unit.
I appreciate the info, the more I look into it, it does seem like the best deal going. I can even wait & install the complete system as an add-on to this system. They do sell individual components.
Old 11-24-2006, 08:52 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by CanDo
Going all the way, to a full hydraulic system, only requires you to also buy a helm & hoses to the helm. Much better than keeping your cable helm with the Mayfair. CanDo
I agee, bite the bullet and go to a full system. I had a "add-on" system and I don't think it offers much beyond the stock system. I upgraded to a full system and it made a HUGE difference in handling.

Quick Reply: Mayfair add-on steering???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.