Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Northstar 6000 will it work? >

Northstar 6000 will it work?

Notices

Northstar 6000 will it work?

Old 07-16-2007, 01:14 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gino, good seeing you on Saturday; one of the pictures I snapped...it looked like you & George were cutting up the bay real good that afternoon!
I'm no expert on SmartCraft yet, but the sensors don't know what engine they're mounted in. The "incompatibility" probably comes from the fact that the SmartCraft "display" is actually fed from the ECU, not the sensors. Are the Merc 1075s SmartCraft compatible?
Just a thought that I have no idea if it would work, and it would be a Frankenstein way of rigging it...but you could use a "compatible" ECU as your black box to convert the sensor signals to SmartCraft-compatible data. It would be more involved than just swapping sensors and connecting wires; just an idea...
Attached Thumbnails Northstar 6000 will it work?-picture-005.jpg  
Old 07-16-2007, 01:26 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by handfulz28
Gino, good seeing you on Saturday; one of the pictures I snapped...it looked like you & George were cutting up the bay real good that afternoon!
I'm no expert on SmartCraft yet, but the sensors don't know what engine they're mounted in. The "incompatibility" probably comes from the fact that the SmartCraft "display" is actually fed from the ECU, not the sensors. Are the Merc 1075s SmartCraft compatible?
Just a thought that I have no idea if it would work, and it would be a Frankenstein way of rigging it...but you could use a "compatible" ECU as your black box to convert the sensor signals to SmartCraft-compatible data. It would be more involved than just swapping sensors and connecting wires; just an idea...
I was thinking along the same lines. I think the problem lies in the fuel injectors. I beleive that all smart craft motors are fuel injected. If they are not firing injectors they will toss a code and screw everything else up. I think if you can find the correct computer guy it should be fairly easy. We used to pull motors out VW Corrado's for the supercharged set up and get them working with all the guages. Also took a Vette Motor and put it into a S-10. You just have to figure out the code structure. If you can figure out how to get it to ignore the fuel injectors you are set.....
Old 07-16-2007, 02:06 PM
Registered

Yeah...I could see the ECU going nuts when it doesn't get all the feedback it's expecting. It'll throw codes all over the place and think it's putting the motor in Guardian mode, when it's not even really attached
But would it keep outputting the data stream to feed the display, or does it freak out? I would think it's like a car with a message display...all the gauge data still works, it just throws a specific "Check XYZ System" message. The issue comes in if the SmartCraft display insists on overriding gauge display to flash the warning message.
Old 07-16-2007, 02:09 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Don't know. How about you send me a system and I will play around with it for ya
Old 07-16-2007, 02:29 PM
Registered

Well I was willing to go in halvsies with you Now all we need is a display, sensors, and ECU. I've got a motor in the garage. I wonder if the "marine" sensors are the same as the truck sensors...if so, I've got the sensors covered already I also wonder how similar the marine ECU is to the truck ECU? I've got a spare one of those too...
So who wants to sponsor a little R&D?
Old 07-16-2007, 02:49 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It would be a monumental task to adapt all the Smartcraft stuff to another engine. Now, you can shut off some inputs to the ecu, but it would still be difficult to make the ecu happy enough to work. Another option is to look into Lowrance Lowrancenet gauges, readouts, etc. They seem to be the farthest ahead with NMEA 2000 stuff. They even have a build it program on their website. Kinda nice to only have one wire running the length of the boat. But it has fuel flow sensors-and you really don't want to know that number
Old 07-16-2007, 03:18 PM
Registered

As air, fuel & spark is to an engine...copper, volts & ohms are to an ECU You think it would be that flaky that it wouldn't send gauge data through?

I've been looking at Lowrance's GPS units with fuel flow capability. Any idea how accurate their sensors are?
I think I'd prefer Floscan's sensors feeding a Garmin GPS, but I'm not sure how to convince Garmin to add their fuel software to their marine units
Old 07-16-2007, 04:23 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Just tell them the cometition works with it so they better get on the ball......

Inspect putting a man on the moon is a monumental task that is why it has never been done!!!
Old 07-16-2007, 09:14 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Audiofn
Don't know. How about you send me a system and I will play around with it for ya
Thank you for looking!!!! I'll tell you what, You figure out how to make another system work with other motors, I'll do the backing and we will market it. I'm sure there is a hell of a market for a Smartcraft type system for other motors!!
Old 07-16-2007, 09:47 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

My cousin did all my computer work. I will ask him what he thinks.

Jon

Quick Reply: Northstar 6000 will it work?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.