Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Thought I'd seen it all at the ramp... (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/163626-thought-id-seen-all-ramp.html)

sleeper_dave 07-17-2007 12:19 PM

I've taken to leaving the boat in gear while I hook up the winch post. There's one ramp at my marina (only for use if you have a slip there) and it's pretty steep with a very short, very high dock that is not well suited to tying my boat up. I back the trailer into the water, set the parking brake and put the truck in park, walk down to get my boat, drive it on to the trailer, and leave it in gear at idle while I jump up on the bow to hook up the winch and safety chain (without getting off the boat, of course). It's the most effective way i've found to do it myself. Then I shut the boat down and tilt the outdrive up, climb up on the bow again, jump on the trailer and winch it the rest of the way up. If I take the boat out of gear, it slides off the trailer and i'm floating in the middle of the narrow marina, usually directly toward someone elses boat, frantically trying to get my boat started and get it under control (not the easiest thing to do with a single).

I watched a guy dump his boat on the ramp last year. Roller trailer, he unhooked the winch and safety chain before backing into the water. He just kept backing the trailer up until he pushed the boat into the water, then went for a boat ride. It was an older sea ray, being towed by an old caprice or crown vic. Quite entertaining.

Reckless32 07-17-2007 12:26 PM

That kind of stupid and DANGEROUS behavior needs to be faced down as it happens. His family would've appreciated the save. He's gonna hurt someone someday if there's no intervention.

Yet in another post today someone gets angry and physical over a picture being taken.

chaparral 2550sx 07-17-2007 01:49 PM

Years ago, a freind had a boat and he disconected the winch while I backed the baot in with him in. I was affraid he would roll off before getting to the water, so I backed up quickly, then once I reach the water slammed on the brakes and he went flying off the trailer into the water!!!!! My GF and his GF where laughing so hard at the look of shear PANIC on his face....They said the whole back of the boat was under then popped up!! It was a 16ft glasstron with 115 HP outboard....I am laughing now about that!!!! stupit at the time funny now!

otis311 07-17-2007 02:56 PM

I have done that same manuever many times while putting the Cig on the trailer by myself !! Maybe not at 2500 rpm's, but definitly in gear

Biggus 07-17-2007 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by Audiofn (Post 2199584)
Hey Sonny you got a problem with the way I load my boat!!!!

:D :D :D

wrinkleface 07-17-2007 03:19 PM

Pix, Pix!!:D

chaparral 2550sx 07-17-2007 03:31 PM

better yet take some video!!!!!!!!!:evilb:

Downtown42 07-17-2007 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by Sydwayz (Post 2199548)
So Sunday afternoon after the Jammin' on the James Poker Run, OCDActive and I are about to shove off from ActiveShack's house with my boat and head to the ramp load up on the trailer. The ramp is only 300 yards from Mark's house. An older 24' Baja comes cruising along and blocks the whole ramp. So, Scott and I stand back and wait for the ramp to open up.

This guy ties up across the opening of the single launch ramp; and proceeds to take for fricking EVER to walk 50 yards to retrieve his truck and trailer. He backs down the ramp, and walks out to the boat. In the mean time, our friend Russ pulls up with my truck and trailer and proceeds to offer help, yet the Baja owner continues on his own.

This it the best part! He pulls the Baja onto the trailer, and powers on about 3/4 of the way at about 3500rpm +/-. HE BACKS THE THROTTLE DOWN TO 2500RPM AND LEAVES THE BOAT IN GEAR blowing water about 5 feet in the air and 20 feet back!!! HE LEAVES THE COCKPIT AND WALKS UP THE BOW to the winch and proceeds to hook up the winch and start winching the boat up the trailer; ALL THE WHILE STILL IN GEAR AT 2500RPM!! :eek:

Fortunately the boat did not rocket up his POS trailer and kill him. Upon seeing this guy's "expertise" our friend Russ, politely moves WAY the hell away from this spectacle. The guy walked down the bow and shut the motor down. THEN, he proceeds to drive up the ramp with the DRIVE STILL DOWN. :D

I guess it takes all kinds! :drink:

Sydwinder, did you check his trailer hitch rating?? :evilb:

Strip Poker 388 07-17-2007 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by SAFA 1 (Post 2199858)
this is what happened 3 month ago in lake havasu rental pontoon boat, that's why i leave at 2 to 3 pm evry time

I would not have a problem serving time for hurting someone that did that:(

KiloKat 07-17-2007 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by SAFA 1 (Post 2199858)
this is what happened 3 month ago in lake havasu rental pontoon boat, that's why i leave at 2 to 3 pm evry time

WOW - what did the guy have to say afterwards? I bet you wanted to rip his head off !!