Notices

Brick N.J.?

Old 07-18-2007, 02:23 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Lucididee
I could probably go on forever about south Jersey (but don'ty worry, I will come back to it) but has any one been to Sayreville latey. You do know it's still 1985 there. You can see someone in a Poison concert T, White leather fringe jacket, bangs a mile high, studded belts and acid wash jeans.

Back in the 80s most proms looked like this in Jersey. But I wonder if the sayreville proms still look like this?
Awww.....thanks for posting your prom pic!

Remember my afro?
Old 07-18-2007, 02:30 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Panther
Awww.....thanks for posting your prom pic!

Remember my afro?
I remember the fro ........... but I am completely & utterly insulted that you said that's my prom picture.

My hair was way bigger than theirs. Come on now my hair was over-proccessed bleached blonde with a black streak plus I used to crimp it ................ oh the memories of the big hair Jersey-style. Oh god, I just completely scared the hell outta myself. It's part of my past I try to forget.

Come to think of it, maybe the Aqua-net in the white and pink can is the reason for the hole in the ozone.
Old 07-18-2007, 02:37 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Rick Springfield.... Lol.....
Old 07-18-2007, 04:16 PM
Enjoy the show
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lucididee
I could probably go on forever about south Jersey (but don'ty worry, I will come back to it) but has any one been to Sayreville latey. You do know it's still 1985 there. You can see someone in a Poison concert T, White leather fringe jacket, bangs a mile high, studded belts and acid wash jeans.

Back in the 80s most proms looked like this in Jersey. But I wonder if the sayreville proms still look like this?

Dee, you look cute in your prom photo.
Old 07-18-2007, 07:24 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Panther
Dee, ya think he knows our father?
Was he a cop ...........or a customer
Old 07-18-2007, 07:50 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Expensive Date
Was he a cop ...........or a customer
Definitely a potential customer...
Old 07-18-2007, 08:44 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NJgr8ful
Expensive Date:
I got arrested at the 72PCT in Brooklyn once ... long story involving a FAKE water gun on 278 / BQE ... it all worked out eventually thanks to my Dad-in-Law who is in the Defense Association and knows many top lawyers and a couple judges

That's my story and I'm sticking too it
Chris
Wasn't me I never mad BS arrests.Did work in the 72 a few times though first person I ever pointed a gun at was on 59 st and 4 th ave
Old 07-18-2007, 09:03 PM
Enjoy the show
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bricktucky on Dateline right now.
Old 07-19-2007, 05:23 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

From Wikpedia:
Locals say that the term stands for the names of the cities that these seasonal visitors hail from: Bayonne, Elizabeth, Newark, and New York, although this may be a backronym.

A further theory to the origin of this word comes from an earlier time. In the late 1800’s and early 1900’s many of the resort areas around New York City were restricted. Jews (as well as other ethnic groups) were not allowed in these resort areas. Many Jewish families would vacation at the Jersey Shore. The town of Lakewood became a popular resort destination. The local population referred to these visitors as “Bennies” from the very common Jewish name of Benjamin. In later years the term has been used to describe anyone that visits the Jersey Shore.
Old 07-19-2007, 08:19 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ok ........ let's read the entire Wikipedia thing:

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Benny is a derogatory term used by residents of Jersey Shore towns for tourists that visit each summer.

In England, the term is used as a pejorative slang term to describe anyone of apparent mental slowness, especially by children (derived from the character of the same name, played by Paul Henry in the soap opera Crossroads). In parts of England it is also used to describe a person in a fit of rage or having a tantrum as in "He's having a benny".

Usually only North Jersey shore residents will use the term, "Benny", as South Jersey shore people tend to refer to visitors as, "Shoe Bees" because day-trippers would bring their lunches to the beach in shoeboxes.
--------------
History
Locals say that the term stands for the names of the cities that these seasonal visitors hail from: Bayonne, Elizabeth, Newark, and New York, although this may be a backronym.

A further theory to the origin of this word comes from an earlier time. In the late 1800’s and early 1900’s many of the resort areas around New York City were restricted. Jews (as well as other ethnic groups) were not allowed in these resort areas. Many Jewish families would vacation at the Jersey Shore. The town of Lakewood became a popular resort destination. The local population referred to these visitors as “Bennies” from the very common Jewish name of Benjamin. In later years the term has been used to describe anyone that visits the Jersey Shore.
------------------
A backronym (or bacronym) is a phrase that is constructed "after the fact"
------------------
Areas of Use:
Manahawkin, Beach Haven, Ship Bottom, Surf City, Harvey Cedars, Barnegat, Barnegat Light, Tuckerton, Lavallette, West Point Island, Waretown, Toms River, South Toms River, Pine Beach, Bayville, Forked River, South Seaside Park, Berkley Township, Pelican Island, Lacey Township, Ortley Beach, Normandy Beach, Normandy Shores, Ocean Beach, Chadwick Beach, Chadwick Island, Silver Beach, Monterey Beach, North Lavallette, Mantoloking, Bayhead, Brick, Seaside Heights, Seaside Park, Point Pleasant Beach, Point Pleasant Borough, Asbury Park, Sea Bright, Spring Lake, Sea Girt, Avon, Belmar, Oceanport, Monmouth Beach, Beachwood, Manasquan, Brielle, Oceanport, Shrewsbury, Long Branch, Bricktown, Sandy Hook, West Long Branch
------------------
Stereotypical Behavior:
Asking for directions back to the Parkway; Asking for directions to the beach; Driving carelessly or recklessly, with little regard for local traffic regulations; Boorish, loud conduct in public areas (such as speaking loudly on cell phones and playing loud music); Going through the exact change lane at the toll bridges - without possessing exact change; Wearing sneakers or socks with sandals on the beach; Wearing no shirt in local restaurants and stores; Quickly acquiring a full-body sunburn; Blocking the driveways of houses on the beach; Littering on the beach; Crowding the stores and restaurants and generally making life difficult for year-round residents; Asking for change for a dollar in quarters and dimes for use on the parkway tolls; Having a "farmer's tan" or "t-shirt tan"; Getting in the way of surfers or body boarders in the ocean; Getting into arguments and sometimes even fights with locals; Talking with a strong/forced New York or North(east) Jersey accent; Walking their dog(s) without a leash; Calling the beach "the shore"; Degrading area shops & restaurants as not being like the ones "back home", yet returning every summer/weekend; All though looked down upon, they typically tip better than the locals; Are known to say, "I own this town"; Arriving on Memorial Day and leaving on Labor Day; Driving 50 MPH in the left lane on the Parkway; Driving 80 MPH in the right lane on the Parkway; Renting Jet ski's or boats at local rental facilities
------------------
Sources:
http://www.bennygohome.com/main.html
http://www.barrypopik.com/index.php/...rk_acronym/%7C
------------------
So the truth is "No one knows for sure". So believe what ya wanna believe. But I will tell you this (and this coming from a Brooklynite turned local), From Sandy Hook to Seaside Heights WE consider anyone from N Jersey & NY that is Italiain visiting the Jersey Shore a BENNY. The conversation usually starts with "YO! Tony!" or "YO! Vinnie!" or "YO! Joey!" or "YO! Antony!" (No self respecting NY Italian would dare say Anthony.)

I cannot comment on the south Jersey Shore, as I don't go there that much, and that part of the shore is mostly has the Philly people visiting.

Last edited by Lucididee; 07-19-2007 at 08:32 AM.

Quick Reply: Brick N.J.?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.