Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   I Need To Vent! (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/163699-i-need-vent.html)

Clay Washington 07-19-2007 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by rdoactive (Post 2200828)
Not to be a smart a$$.
But the only common factor in your "problematic encounters" with the police seems to be............
You.

Sometimes it's better to keep a low profile.

Too funny... I was thinking the same thing! :p

Gary864 07-19-2007 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by pullmytrigger (Post 2203707)
If thats the case I would seriously consider complaints to the elected officials and chamber of commerce in the area and KEEP COMPLAINING!!.......you and your friends should call and tell them about your bad experience (with names) and that you may just take your boat and go spend your money in someone elses area......if its anything like around here boaters are a big source of revenue for the local economy and the mayor and the CofC especially does not want to hear that this source is being run off by overzealous water cops........I dont care what job your in, nobody needs constant complaints about their job performance.

I have asked him to e-mail or reply to me as I am on the water working almost every weekend and I have no reply as of yet. But then again I am sure he is working while I am playing here on the website. as for complaining, where you have suggested he would have to contact the county as the sheriff patrol is a county concern not city or township. I do hope he contacts me if it was in St. Clair county and I can take care of the issue.

rdoactive 07-19-2007 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by razor1115 (Post 2203766)
Just to add a little fuel to the fire, LOTO was horrible this 4th of July. The DNR was pulling people over left and right, even ones just idling along. Surely, all these people were not all breaking some law???

The DNR? Are you sure it wasn't the Water Patrol of Coast Guard? And if you were referring to the no wake area under the bridge, I can believe every one of them was breaking some law. I would bet they only pull over about 1/2 the boats doing something wrong; no wake, DUI, improper registration, riders on the swim platform, lights, etc.

I asked a couple of the local business owner's how things were going. They both said business was off and attributed it to the local water patrol and their zealous interaction with the boaters. I know, I know, someone will say it's the gas prices. But, the locals are telling me otherwise.

You might want to consider the weather. It rained almost every weekend between memorial day. I'm guessing that probably had more effect than the WP.
I know WP will "remember" boats that have been problems in the past, ie DUI drivers, and give them a little "extra attention".

I have been going to LOTO for 7-8 years now, usually 2-3 times a year. I am not going back now, except for possibly the Shootout. The other two trips, I am going to find another body of water and place to spend my dollars. It has just gotten ridiculous... my $.02

Hmmm, never really had a problem and I go every weekend.

razor1115 07-19-2007 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by rdoactive (Post 2204060)
The DNR? Are you sure it wasn't the Water Patrol of Coast Guard? And if you were referring to the no wake area under the bridge, I can believe every one of them was breaking some law. I would bet they only pull over about 1/2 the boats doing something wrong; no wake, DUI, improper registration, riders on the swim platform, lights, etc.

You might want to consider the weather. It rained almost every weekend between memorial day. I'm guessing that probably had more effect than the WP.
I know WP will "remember" boats that have been problems in the past, ie DUI drivers, and give them a little "extra attention".

Hmmm, never really had a problem and I go every weekend.

Rdoactive,

Just giving my perception as I had never seen it like this before. The weekend before the 4th, I did hear it rained like crazy. That entire week and next weekend was nothing but sun and hot. The business owners were the ones telling me the WP (is the Missouri State Water Patrol your version of DNR?) was affecting their business. I didn't volunteer info, they relayed it it me.

And, wasn't just in the no-wake zone under the bridge. It was every morning, afternoon, evening throughout the whole week. We were staying at 11MM, saw almost everyday come into that cove in the morning and start pulling up to boats/ jet skis. A couple of people, it was obvious that they were to close to the docks throwing wakes... most didn't appear to be doing anything wrong.

cig1988 07-20-2007 03:41 AM

Originally Posted by 28Skater300x (Post 2200414)
Back when I was kid road my motorcycle in old peach orchard next to my house 100+ acres. Cops would come out with their cars and try to catch us (1970's). When I got old enough to drive got into lifted 4x4 trucks (1980's). Got hassled by the cops everywhere I went on and off road. Next got into standup jetski (1985) got pulled over just about every time you would pass the marine police. In 2002 finally I could buy a Skater after seeing them at the NY boat show in 1984. Is it just me or is anybody else notice that the fun police are everywhere especially at the lunch stops waiting. This cat and mouse game is getting old.

Would it happen to be Davis peach farm on the Island ?