Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Flushing Motors......how long?? >

Flushing Motors......how long??

Notices

Flushing Motors......how long??

Old 07-17-2007, 11:21 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The manual says "you should flush your engine for the same amount of time you ran the engine that day" It is very expensive and annoying but it is a must.
Old 07-18-2007, 06:59 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 525 is closed cooled so I really don't have to worry to much about operating temp and thermostats, but I do run it for about 10min on salt away as well with the exhaust open and closed, give her a taste test and wash it all down with a Heineken. And since I got some serious redneck neighbors..............they don't mind the noise at all!
Old 07-18-2007, 08:56 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by CROWN MAN
Only because I love my neighbors so much,, 15min (or 3 beers) on fresh water then 1 cup salt away...after every use

I also bring the motor up to temp on the hose before i hit the ramp. Sunday mornings - they love that !!!
What better sounds to wake to on Sunday morning??? and next time they say something tell them your next boat will be twins

Oh yeah ... flush about 5mins (ea. ) for me too ... my engine guy says to use a little liquid soap ... like Dawn or whatever Anyone else do that or hear that?
Old 07-18-2007, 09:07 AM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by NJgr8ful
Oh yeah ... flush about 5mins (ea. ) for me too ... my engine guy says to use a little liquid soap ... like Dawn or whatever Anyone else do that or hear that?
Never heard of that.... Does dawn break down salt like it does oil?

I do 5 min an engine, usually 2 min on fresh water, than 3 min on the salt away. Once I see suds in the water from the salt away I let it run for a couple minutes then shut it down. I also go a step futher buy blipping the throttle once before I shut it down just in case there's any reversion from idling for 5 min. Does it work, I dunno, just got used to doing it that way for over 10 years now.
Old 07-18-2007, 10:05 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Panther

I do 5 min an engine, usually 2 min on fresh water, than 3 min on the salt away. Once I see suds in the water from the salt away I let it run for a couple minutes then shut it down. I also go a step futher buy blipping the throttle once before I shut it down just in case there's any reversion from idling for 5 min. Does it work, I dunno, just got used to doing it that way for over 10 years now.
Thats exactly what I do as well. Run fresh for 2 min., turn to salt away for 2-3 min, then I shut it down, then turn off the salt away hose. Don't think i'll be tasting that. But i've heard its good to leave it in there. Am i wrong? Should i be running 100% fresh through it after the salt away?
Old 07-18-2007, 10:23 AM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Shore Thing
Thats exactly what I do as well. Run fresh for 2 min., turn to salt away for 2-3 min, then I shut it down, then turn off the salt away hose. Don't think i'll be tasting that. But i've heard its good to leave it in there. Am i wrong? Should i be running 100% fresh through it after the salt away?

I don't know...I wondered the same thing...

After I run the salt away thru, I usually turn back to fresh water just before turning the key off so when the motor shuts down I don't waste any salt away before firing up the second engine.

Good question though. It's one I'd like to know the "definitive" answer to.
Old 07-18-2007, 12:05 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Panther
I don't know...I wondered the same thing...

After I run the salt away thru, I usually turn back to fresh water just before turning the key off so when the motor shuts down I don't waste any salt away before firing up the second engine.

Good question though. It's one I'd like to know the "definitive" answer to.
Would like to know the answer to this also.

I like to flush as soon as possible, so the engine is still pretty warm. I fire it up on the fresh water and then switch it to the salt-away. Wait for the suds to come out, let it run another minute or so, and then switch back to fresh.

This leaves a little salt-away in the dispenser, which I then use to spray the outdrive and trailer down with, before I wash the rest of the boat.
Old 07-18-2007, 01:21 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If I'm running in salt water, I run the freash water through the engine until I can no longer taste the salt. It doesn't take long, 7-10mins I have noticed. Afterward I connect the salt away, I run then engine until i see the suds come out of the exahust and then shut it down. I also take the extra strep to use Muriatic Acid on any stainless parts on the back of the transom such as the prop, steering arms, tabs, ect, ect and lubercate with CRC 656.

Last edited by pkspx; 07-18-2007 at 01:31 PM.
Old 07-18-2007, 01:34 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Does anyone drian their exhaust after flushing? On my 525's I have been removing the little blue drain plugs after each use.
Old 07-18-2007, 02:03 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Im sorry, but there is no way it takes a full 5 minutes of fresh water flush time for you not to taste salt in the exhaust.

Quick Reply: Flushing Motors......how long??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.