Hey Scarabfan on boat subwoofers

Notices

Hey Scarabfan on boat subwoofers

Old 07-17-2007, 10:57 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 133 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Hey Scarabfan on boat subwoofers

I have a particular location on my boat that appears to be very suitable for subs. It is easily sealed up, and very stiff. There are two compartments like this, but they are only .45 cubic foot apiece in volume.

I ran across some reviews and such on the web and by most accounts, Image Dynamics has the market all sewn up on responsive subs that go DEEP and are suitable for use in SMALL sealed enclosures. For my app, by my thoughts the IDQ10 v2 subs fit the bill.

They look adequately "marine suitable". I don't know if you (scarabfan) or any of the other guys on the board is a dealer for them. Looking for comments, alternative recommendations (remember 0.45 cu ft per box), or pricing.

Also, I don't have a great place for my amp, except for enclosed areas with no decent ventilation. Definitely planning to run a Class D, but still worried about adequate cooling.

Has anybody played with mounting amps to a water cooled plate of some sort?

mc
Old 07-17-2007, 11:48 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

13 posts all year and now you expect OSO's help after you abandoned us!?!?!

Good to have you back.
Old 07-18-2007, 12:07 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I been too busy whoring myself elsewhere to be worried about whoring myself here with you guys. Besides, I didn't know anybody cared enough to bother searching my posts for the current calendar year and actually counting them.

I'm touched.

Soooo, did you have any subwoofer info or were you just harassing me for sport?

(good to be back, cept I'm viewing from a freebie account so don't try to PM me cause I can't read em)

Cheers
Old 07-18-2007, 12:39 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just harassing you for sport. Research consisted of clicking in your screen name. And we all missed your posts -- everyone likes a good whore.
Old 07-18-2007, 09:43 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by X-Rated30
13 posts all year and now you expect OSO's help after you abandoned us!?!?!

Good to have you back.
It is good to see boating and posting again.
Old 07-18-2007, 11:41 AM
Registered

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

I forget what it is called, but you can put the pillow type stuffing into the area, and that will allow the sub to think it is in a larger space, and maybe not restrict what sub you have to use so much.
Old 07-18-2007, 12:00 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have my amp in enclosed area, just mounted a 4 inch box fan behind it to keep air flow moving.... so far no issues... knock on wood
Old 07-18-2007, 12:53 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mcollins, Cartronics in rivergate has a rockford fosgate that will work well and is totally weatherproof in a 10" for that size ported with a 3 inch port. I gave $350 for them and they worked out nice. Port needs to be 11" long.
Old 07-18-2007, 12:59 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I have had very good luck with the Polk Audio Momo's for small enclosures like that. Very important to stuff the holly hell out of the box with small enclosures like perlmudder said. You can use pillow stuffing or get actuall accoustic fill.

Jon
Old 07-18-2007, 10:11 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Keep em comin, dudes.
I'm familiar with all the ones you've mentioned, but I heard a Momo 12 in a 1 cf box and it fell off hard down low and was boomy.

I my youth (one or two years ago) I played with ported boxes, labyrinth enclosures, and folded horns. None of those things scare me, but for this setup i want to stay with a sealed box assuming I can match it up right.

I have easy access to the Fosgates so I may try them after I finish prepping the enclosures, but I don't expect them to be as smooth as I am looking for in such a small box. I know of a boat with 10" Momo subs so I may be able to arrange to try them as well.

I'm depth limited to 5" so the Fosgates won't hunt here. Maybe their shallow mounts will work, but they aren't very efficient (82db).

Anybody got a line on the Image Dynamics? Please?
They work with my depth, they are supposed to be responsive and compatible with my box size, and they are supposed to go -3db at 21Hz in that box size. Reports are that they are smoooooth, and efficient (at 89db).

Not looking to build a disco. Looking for really good SQ and hard hitting punch but no boooooom booooom booooom. I'd bolt a plexiglass labyrinth box with front to back mounted dual 15"s on the nose of the boat if I just wanted to go boom boom. Not my style.

Can get off the net @ $159 each. Just want to see if a brother boater can cut a better deal, or if NOT, then I'd still rather give the money to a brother boater than an unknown retailer. mc