Notices

Fenders for Dock Posts

Old 07-17-2007, 10:29 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Fenders for Dock Posts

Hey Guys,

We just got all of our dock posts replaced and I need to put some fenders on them. What would you guys suggest? I need 20 of them.

Thanks
Old 07-17-2007, 10:41 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Check out Fender Suspenders. Do the Math aka Fender Suspenders is an advertiser on this site and I have some both for the boat and dock and they work out great.

If you are looking for something more permanant then just go to you local dock supply house and get the long rubber that screws lengthwise into the piling...comes in non-marking black and white.
Old 07-17-2007, 10:59 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I need permanant. I looked at overtons but they seem expensive.
Old 07-17-2007, 11:43 AM
Registered
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Chris~

Aside of Mike being 100% correct - lol!, (but you knew that already)

If you know an active fire fighter, have them get you a length / roll or two of 4" or 5" hose - they need to "retire" them after so long, and it is perfect for what you are looking for. They don't sell it or give it away, but if you know someone in the dept., they can / will usually get it for you - free . I have all my dock posts lined with it where boats come into contact with them, it is a soft nylon braid on the outside and rubber on the inside. Basically, cut it to length, lay it flat, (so it is double-thick), tack it to the posts with aluminum roofing nails (well above and below the rub rail area) and you're good-to-go. We have had ours on there for years and it still works great, feel free to swing by anytime and take a look - always have beer water and soda cold in the fridge!

Mark
Old 07-17-2007, 11:51 AM
Rough Seas Lie Ahead
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go to your local fire dept and ask if they have any old fire hose (they have to replace so often, if not put your name on a list). Cut strips and mount on your pilings. Works great, is cheap, and has been done for years by big-bodied water area home owners. Otherwise, if you go to like West Marine, or any other online dock store you will pay about $40-50 for a single strip of 6 feet.
Old 07-17-2007, 01:24 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Thanks guys!
Old 07-17-2007, 04:32 PM
Drive to arrive alive!!!
Platinum Member

Received 397 Likes on 124 Posts

Fire hose sounds like the cheapest way out. You can buy it at most hose shops. Look under hose in the yellow pages.

The real name is 44-250 mill discharge hose. The 3" hose(4-3/4" flat) is $2.09 per foot. The 4" or 5" shouldn't be too much more.
Old 07-18-2007, 02:46 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Found a 4 3/4" x 100' roll for $100 new. Now I just need to figure out how I want to attach them. My only concern with the roofing nails are the variety of boats that will beon the dock.
Old 07-18-2007, 03:21 PM
JC Performance Engines
Gold Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

There is a company that makes floating piling covers, made of a material like polyethylene. Saw it at a boat show, pretty slick idea. Always stays at the same height compared to the boat. Can attach rings or cleats to them too.
Not too cheap though.
Old 07-18-2007, 04:01 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.theonlinecatalog.com/ware...PARTMENT_ID=30

Quick Reply: Fenders for Dock Posts

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.