Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Anyone use Skype out (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/163925-anyone-use-skype-out.html)

phughes69 07-19-2007 11:02 AM

Anyone use Skype out

I had Sunrocket as a phone provided and they went out of business on Monday. I have been looking into Skype out to be able to call people with regualr phoes and wanted to know if anyone has used it? How was the voice clarity of it? What kind of phone equipment did you hgave to get to hook up to it too?

BoatinBabe 07-19-2007 11:34 AM

Phughes, I use Skype. It is a great way to make long distance calls for free. I use it to call out of the country quite a bit. The voice quality is good. I downloaded Skype from the internet and use it on my laptop. I have a web cam hooked up to it and use a headset with a microphone. The only complaint is that sometimes when I am on a call overseas the web cam is slow and slightly delayed. Other than that..it is awesome. You do not need to have a web cam to use it.. and as long as you have a mic and speakers built into your computer you don't need to purchase those either!

Zudnic 07-19-2007 11:46 AM

Forget what HP iPAQ my Brother uses with Skype, he does however uses the latter alot. He married a Chinese gal who cant get a visa yet, so they use it with great results. He was with me boating a few weeks ago and called her to check in via Skype.... Forget what he pays for a Skype dedicated number that has some charges invovled for calling non-Skype user's long distance.

Joe 07-19-2007 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by BoatinBabe (Post 2203873)
Phughes, I use Skype. It is a great way to make long distance calls for free. I use it to call out of the country quite a bit. The voice quality is good. I downloaded Skype from the internet and use it on my laptop. I have a web cam hooked up to it and use a headset with a microphone. The only complaint is that sometimes when I am on a call overseas the web cam is slow and slightly delayed. Other than that..it is awesome. You do not need to have a web cam to use it.. and as long as you have a mic and speakers built into your computer you don't need to purchase those either!

ditto here....

Ron P 07-19-2007 01:30 PM

I sell VoIP - check out www.vontronix.com and ask for the OSO discount.:D

phughes69 07-19-2007 03:57 PM

could I use my existing phone with a Skype Universal USB Telephone Adapter hooked to my computer and call land based phones and receive them too?

Maximus 07-19-2007 04:28 PM

Use it daily. awesome

packinair 07-19-2007 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by Maximus (Post 2204306)
Use it daily. awesome

same here... I have a local # from skype doe like $3 a month