2 Merc techs scratch their heads >

2 Merc techs scratch their heads

Notices

2 Merc techs scratch their heads

Old 07-13-2007, 04:01 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 Merc techs scratch their heads

Hello im trying to get some opinions from all of you who visit this site. My problem is I boat a new Boat from Eliminator its a 300 Eagle XP, the boat had only 2 hours when I picked it up, the 2 hours that were put on the boat were from the boat being taken to the lake for a photo shoot once completed. The boat has twin 496 HO's. The boat has now 20 hours on it. During these 20 hours the boat has yet to go over 35MPH the computer has registered 40 stalls about 10 or more hours at idle speeds for the same reason that it will not go over 35 mostly because it will shut down once it hits 3k RPMS, obviously the boat is in guardian mode but they cant figure out why?? the boat has been to Teague Marine twice for service both times took it to the lake the following day from getting it back to test it and still same problem. I took it back to Eliminator last friday july 6th, 2007 its now july 13th, and theyve had the main tech from eliminator along with 2 mercury techs aboard the boat at a local lake Kenny the main tech from eliminator tells me the 2 merc techs looked at each other and scratched there heads?? they dont know what the problem is. Theyve tested all the wiring everything is good. theyve ran a diagnostic and some bogus codes pop up that lead to nowhere because after further analysis the codes pop up even tho nothing is wrong with whatever the code reads. All sensors have been checked and once again they are all good. But yet the boat will not go past 35MPH or go over 3000 rpms for that matter.

heres a link to my other thread in the Eliminator section. It doesnt get much traffic so please check it out and give me your thoughts.
thank you so much!!
http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...d.php?t=159650
Old 07-13-2007, 06:46 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since it has Merc engines, under warranty, take it to a "good" Merc authorized shop ( I can`t believe Teague couldn`t figure it out ). You can take it anywhere you`d like. Quit ****ing around with these techs you`ve got now, they obviously don`t know what`s wrong.

GOOD LUCK !
Old 07-13-2007, 07:21 AM
Registered

If both motors are doing this it must be something stupid. Nobody is that good that they can f up both of them to do the same thing. Get the area merc rep involved or have the techs at the service marina get them.
Old 07-13-2007, 07:50 AM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 259 Likes on 92 Posts

I would concentrate on whatever system are shared by both engines. Are they fed from the same tank? My Scarab has a single tank with a single feed to a distribution block, if that were restricted it would cause both engines to starve. Could be as simple as something floating around inside the tank getting occasionally drawn into the intake pipe. had this happen to my little Glasstron, would run fantastic but would starve out every so often. took tank apart and found some debris floating in it.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )

Last edited by glassdave; 07-13-2007 at 07:57 AM.
Old 07-13-2007, 07:56 AM
Registered

Both engines share the same fuel tank.

I'd start there.
Old 07-13-2007, 08:22 AM
VIP Member

How about swapping some computers out of a different boat to test.
Old 07-13-2007, 08:28 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check to see if the neutral safety switches are reading "in gear" when it is. You may need to leave the scan tool hooked up while it runs to see this. We had one that was improperly adjusted and would over-travel past the "in gear" position. If this happens you are limited to 3000. A quick check is to disconnect the switches, it will then think its in gear. My Rinda program has a function to watch in and out of gear. BTW it will also jump your idle counts to compensate for the shift.

Good luck.
Old 07-13-2007, 08:39 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I would also have them check the wiring for the "in neutral running switch". I know on 525's that if you are in neutral, the engines will not run more than 2500 rpm's. The engine is limited to 2500 rpm like when you are flushing the motors or trying to sound loud when pulling up to a dock of a bunch of people you want to impress and you race the engines. My switches on located on the Livorsi gear shifters. If the button is not depressed on the shifters due to a wiring or installation error, then the engine thinks the shifters are in neutral even though you are in gear. Then the 2500 rpm rev limiter is active. Just a thought!
Old 07-13-2007, 08:40 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

While I was typing, I see someone beat me to it. So know you have 2 replies pointing to the neutral switches. Good luck.
Old 07-13-2007, 08:40 AM
Registered

The problem doesn't have to be a something in common with both engines. The Smartcraft computer will put both motors in guardian mode if one is having a problem.

Quick Reply: 2 Merc techs scratch their heads

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.