Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Long Beach - Catalina Rum Run.......New Cat Killers in town!  WOW!!!!! >

Long Beach - Catalina Rum Run.......New Cat Killers in town! WOW!!!!!

Notices

Long Beach - Catalina Rum Run.......New Cat Killers in town! WOW!!!!!

Old 07-24-2007, 11:35 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Most of the racers tried to stay close instead of having a run away race. The reason was for a better spectator event. When running offshore that far we can get spread out pretty far easily. I'm sure times could have been much better if needed.
Old 07-24-2007, 11:45 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FASTERDAMITT
Most of the racers tried to stay close instead of having a run away race..........

Yeah right!

This was overheard at the drivers meeting......."Hey guys.......don't get too far in front or spread apart otherwise the people on the shore won't enjoy it as much"
Old 07-25-2007, 03:46 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BADA BING
I saw the start of the race from Ocean Blvd and well before the turn bouy to head out Queens gate Tom and crew had walked away from the pack and were way out front...we then went down to the green belt at the finish line and watched the finish, Tom came in 1st overall, and about 2-3min later CRC rolled in, then Bob...at the start the cats started maybe 2min after the first pack left, so really Tom still deserves the first overall win.

The classification after the race win is BS, they just don't want to have to produce next years event t-shirt with another Cig and a rookie winner to boot
Yea, what he said. Sounds like the special olympics, everybody is a winner!!!! Congrats Tom, Shannon and Kevin!!! We know the real story....
Old 07-25-2007, 01:42 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by PhantomChaos
Yeah right!

This was overheard at the drivers meeting......."Hey guys.......don't get too far in front or spread apart otherwise the people on the shore won't enjoy it as much"
How else can you explain the ski race having fastest times? I think a few boats backed down to conserve equipement one time or another. I did for about 10 minutes with a decent lead.

Last edited by FASTERDAMITT; 07-25-2007 at 01:46 PM.
Old 07-25-2007, 02:08 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tom, Shannon and Kevin did an impressive run all the way. We watched from the Queens gate with all jaws on the floor.
Congratulations to all!!!

Last edited by IDRPSTF; 07-27-2007 at 12:22 PM. Reason: Improvement
Old 07-25-2007, 04:31 PM
Registered

How else can you explain the ski race having fastest times? I think a few boats backed down to conserve equipement one time or another. I did for about 10 minutes with a decent lead.
What do you mean.......the ski race is only 62 miles while the race course was 79 miiles? Are you saying that on Saturday the ski race boat times were shorter than the Rum Run times.....?

Was that your white Superboat running? That looked sweet!
Old 07-25-2007, 05:41 PM
Registered

When they gave out the awards they had an award for the fastest time of the weekend. That was a ski racer not a POPRA race boat. I was confused how that could be.

Here's a pic of mine at the finish line.
Attached Thumbnails Long Beach - Catalina Rum Run.......New Cat Killers in town!  WOW!!!!!-mvc-426x.jpg  
Old 07-25-2007, 06:18 PM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I am as confused now as when i heard about the "new" classification Sunday night.

Powerboat Magazine should look into this as they were a sponsor for this race and have the ability to get answers.

How can a boat get positioned/classified as a "P1", race and win and then get reclassified? The "flip flop" boys followed the rules but get screwed in the end. Not sure this is the way to promote offshore racing.

Who wants to see video of our local crew (and one hot teacher) do it again???

Video will be up tonight.

Last edited by Schweeng; 07-25-2007 at 06:31 PM.
Old 07-25-2007, 07:08 PM
Registered

When they gave out the awards they had an award for the fastest time of the weekend. That was a ski racer not a POPRA race boat. I was confused how that could be.

Here's a pic of mine at the finish line.
Was it an actual ski racer, or was it someone who got reclassified in the "ski Race" class even though they weren't in the ski race????

Prouty let's see the video!!
Old 07-25-2007, 08:54 PM
Registered

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

I keep hearing on these forums that the cats are always so much faster than the V's. At the risk of starting a long debate, how did this V beat the cats? Was it water conditions, crew skill, mechanical malfunctions?

Michael

Quick Reply: Long Beach - Catalina Rum Run.......New Cat Killers in town! WOW!!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.