Notices

Bolsters vs. highbacks

Old 07-30-2007, 10:57 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Bolsters vs. highbacks

Im back to browsing used boats and Ive found one that I like quite a bit but its a 38 with highback seats instead of dropout bolsters. Im not real sure how Id like the sitdown seating on a boat that big. I rarely sit down in my Dominator because the glass makes it hard to see.

I havent seen many BIG v's with sitdown seating.. whats the pros and cons. And how come the bigger cats always have sitdown seating? I can see how sitdown seating would make for a much more comfortable poker run but docking and loading onto a trailer would seem like a difficult task sitting down..

Any opinions?
Old 07-30-2007, 11:22 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure but when I have loaded customers cats on a trailer they had center (driver/passenger) controls so I would get out of and behind the seats in the center of the boat with controls in front of me to trailer it. Seems to make it alot easier being in the center of the boat as you only have about 3/4 inch play room between the trailer and the sponsons on those things. But like you said, I think bolsters would be nicer in a big V.
Old 07-30-2007, 11:37 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will go for a spin. LOVE my sit downs.... tough to see sea doos cutting in front of you though.
Old 07-31-2007, 06:21 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 84 Likes on 31 Posts

I have a sit down (29' Kryptonite) and would not go back to standing up! I don't get beat up in my 29' at all and feel much more secure. I am looking at moving up to a twin engine boat and want another sit down.
When it is time to dock or load on trailer, I just stand up. I have a great view around because the boat is designed to be driven while seated and I can really see over things when standing. My friends with a 38 ZrComp, OL GTX will sit on the top of their seats when docking.

Last edited by Tom A.; 07-31-2007 at 06:27 AM.
Old 07-31-2007, 06:24 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 84 Likes on 31 Posts

The cat's are usually sit down because of the high floors (shallow cockpit) to clear the tunnel. V's by their design have the deeper cockpit to accomodate a stand up arrangement.
If you look at all the race boats now, they are all sit down.