Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   1 Bad Ass Video (Boost and Roostetails) (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/164702-1-bad-ass-video-boost-roostetails.html)

Young Performance 07-30-2007 01:26 PM

Strip,
Do you or anyone else know how to get in touch with the guys that own the boat. I would love to pick their brains to found out how they got the boat to handle so well. I did a pair of 925 EFI's in a 38 slingshot with Arnesons and can't drive the boat past 100 without it getting completely out of control. It's a shame, because the boat runs 94 mph at 4000 rpm and thats about all you can safely do. Their is so much left that you can't use. He should have just had me build 750 hp for the boat. Any help would be great. Thanks, Eddie.

custom29scarab 07-30-2007 01:48 PM

If you go to the other site speedwake and pm boostbros they are the ones that orginally posted those videos. They may be able to help you out.

OL40SVX 07-30-2007 01:51 PM

I believe black cloud did bottom mods so it would handle the speed. I think on the newer ones like your friends you can do it but not on the older ones like strips.

Jigsaw89 07-30-2007 06:33 PM

Great vids! Gotta love when a v-hull is distancing itself from several cat boats!

Rik 07-30-2007 07:19 PM

Dr. John Merola owns the boat. Rick Merola from Aqua Mania's brother.

It is the old "Black Cloud" boat.

Over 100 stability is due to a stagger setup vs. a side by side and then the bottom mods to keep the boat from chine walking at speeds over 100.

OL40SVX 07-30-2007 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 2217319)
Dr. John Merola owns the boat. Rick Merola from Aqua Mania's brother.

It is the old "Black Cloud" boat.

Over 100 stability is due to a stagger setup vs. a side by side and then the bottom mods to keep the boat from chine walking at speeds over 100.

The boats not a stagger though.

Rik 07-30-2007 10:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ohhh..

Look closely at the propeller shaft center lines of the 388 "Black Cloud" boat.

The propeller shaft centers are some 15.5" closer than what is on the 388 out of TN. (Which is an AWESOME boat I hear)

This makes a difference when the boat gets going over 100 as the bottom is lifting out from under the standard side by side center line drives where as with the stagger the propellers are still in the water.

Remember there is more than one way to skin a cat. The Black Cloud boat has side by side engines but it has stagger centerline drives.

Young Performance 07-30-2007 10:56 PM

I was told that the inner most strake was taken out all the way to the rear step. I have talked to Joe at Hustler and he said that while it is possible because the boat has a solid strake, it will not benefit the boat much. I'm not sure, but I can't see where it would hurt. I would like to know if that is all they did.

Rik,
I am going to get with you at the end of the season and change the tubes to the larger ones (asd7's???) with the larger skegs. May make the boat a little safer. I would love for you to take a ride in Eric's boat, it is SICK.
Thanks to all that replied. I will try to reach those guys on Speedwake. Eddie.

Rik 07-30-2007 11:07 PM

I'd like to ride in that thing.

Even Joe said the acceleration is unbelievable.

call me sometime.

415-485-0788

Young Performance 07-30-2007 11:30 PM

I will be in touch. I just need an extra hour or two. :D I've never been on the phone with you for less than an hour:D
I don't know who's worse, you or me, when it comes to bs'ing about boats.