If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Boats:
    30' Phantom
    Lake Murray, SC

Powerboat Crash Death in Tulsa

Associated Press - July 29, 2007 1:15 AM ET

TULSA, Okla. (AP) - One Tulsan was killed and another had his leg amputated after a high-powered boat ran over the top of a pontoon boat the victims were in on Lake Skiatook.

The Oklahoma Highway Patrol says the crash happened around 7:30 p.m. last night near Hominy Creek Bridge and Oklahoma 20, just west of Skiatook.

Trooper Kera Philippi says the pontoon boat had five people aboard when it was struck by a so-called "cigarette boat," a V-hulled power boat used for racing.

Killed was Dean Gildersleeve. Philippi says the crash amputated the leg of Tom Clayton. The victim's ages weren't available.

Clayton was taken to St. John Medical Center in Tulsa, where he was undergoing surgery late last night.

Neither the power boat's driver nor others on the pontoon boat were injured.

Copyright 2007 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Platinum Member Platinum Member Jassman's Avatar
    Very sorry to have to read this. My condolences to all involved.

'05 Concept SF23 VIP Member
    My Boats:
    1997 Blackthunder SC430
    Franklin, Tn.
    Sorry to hear this. RIP and get well soon.

My Boats:
    Smith Power 44MTI
    Skiatook is a small lake and I doubt the boat was a Cig. That lake has more 20-25 ft boats than anything else. Very sad.

Platinum Member Platinum Member Sea-Dated's Avatar
    My Boats:
    Sold the Cafe' and boatless for now.....
    Tulsa, Oklahoma / GLOC
    This is the first I have heard but most of the boats on Skiatook are pontoons, bow riders and fishing, like Scott said, a 23 footer is a BIG boat on that lake so I doubt it was a cig.
    Last edited by Sea-Dated; 07-29-2007 at 06:24 PM.

Masher touches my Gold Member Outdrive1's Avatar
    My Boats:
    Phoenix, Az
    Quote Originally Posted by Spine Tingler View Post
    Skiatook is a small lake and I doubt the boat was a Cig. That lake has more 20-25 ft boats than anything else. Very sad.
    Nice avatar.

My Boats:
    1995 SONIC 31SS "RAW DEAL"
    Very sad.

My Boats:
    42' Excalibur Eagle-- 50' Scarab Meteor
    Allen Park, MI
    Does anyone have any more info on this? I sold my 38 Scarab to a guy in Oklahoma city that, I think was keeping it in or near Tulsa.

My Boats:
    1990 28 Apache SOLD!, 1990 16 Wahoo DC, 1973 40 Kingscraft
    Mansfield, TX

My Boats:
    24 Skater, 292 SR-1 Formula, 382 Fastech, 41 PC
    Grand Lake (E-Dock Junior Varsity)

Skiatook - A Tulsa man is dead and another is severely wounded after a pontoon boat was struck by a high-powered racing boat on Lake Skiatook Saturday evening.

It happened at about 7:30 p.m. near Hominy Creek Bridge, just west of Skiatook. There were five people on the pontoon boat when the other boat, a so-called 'cigarette boat', operated by 33-year-old Jason Barthel of Tulsa, struck the boat in the right rear.

Fifty-seven-year-old Dean Gildersleeve of Tulsa was pronounced dead at the scene from multiple injuries. Another man, 54-year-old Tom Clayton of Tulsa, was rushed to St. John Medical Center after losing his leg in the accident. He was listed in stable condition and was undergoing surgery.

A 19-year-old Bixby woman suffered a minor ankle injury, but refused treatment. Two other passengers on the pontoon boat and all four on the cigarette boat were not injured.

Barthel told investigators he didn't see the pontoon boat until the bow of his boat began to lower as he planed out. He said he took evasive action as soon as he saw the boat, but couldn't avoid the collision.

The crash remains under investigation.

It's the second collision on Lake Skiatook this month. On July 14th, two people were injured when a ski boat and a personal watercraft collided.

Very sad, very close to home.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast