Notices

1000+ HP 28' Nordic Heat

Old 08-17-2007, 06:45 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by thunderusone
Len, as a result of our new "Seven Blade Technology" and material that is "Out of this World" we are able to run a much higher x dimension than our competitors. We mount the Max Alpha upside down moving the centerline of the prop exactly in line with your swim platform so we may have to do some mods on it as well.
Do you have any idea how your Seven Blade technology will work with my SPO (Swartz Pad Offset)?
Old 08-17-2007, 07:03 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Funny you should ask.......it is a match made in heaven. Baron Swartz actually was the first to come up with the 7 blade technology......I wish I could take credit for it....you will be thrilled!
Old 08-17-2007, 07:41 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 784 Likes on 363 Posts

Originally Posted by Young Performance
Smitty,
I had the drive neutral or a little negative when it broke. I would love to know what caused it to break the case like it did. It didn't really have any other damage. Of course the pinion gear and forward gear were damaged when the input shaft moved forward, but that was about it. You're right, I think we are going to have trouble keeping one together with the 34 prop and 1.34 gears. Since the motor made it's power at 5500 rpm, I need to run that much gear and prop to keep the turns down. This also was a Max upper. Any suggestions?
Eddie
Supposedly their billet upper case is stronger,it would be espensive to buy one though just to have it do the same thing. The best bolt on would be a B-max as their upper is very strong with few failures. The fairly early tq peak and hp at only at 5500 rpm's is going to dictate having tall props with tall gears which is extra hard on the drive. The hot set-up is a B-max upper with a Imco lower but B-max won't sell their upper by itself. As far as a konrad or other a asd-7 its uncharted territory,and a total re-rig of the boat plus its coming out that konrads blow apart with motors similar to yours as far as high tq numbers so its not really a alternative either. I'm surprized the upper casing came apart,i wonder if a chunk of gear forced it to blow apart or it was just a fluke,Smitty
Old 08-17-2007, 09:04 PM
Registered
VIP Member

That is not the first one to break and spit out the pinion in our camp. Isn't the Xr case design weaker around the pinion nut?
Old 08-17-2007, 09:31 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Magic, hopefully it will past a buck with no problem.

Len,
That oil cooler better be VERY cheap. I still don't think the fittings will be big enough
I have never seen drive oil grow that fast. 30 seconds after we broke 3000 rpm's, it grew well over an inch and would have come out had we not backed down. I would like to put a temp gauge in it to see just how much heat that drive is making. I really wish there was a way to put a pump in the drive and send the oil through a cooler. I have been thinking about it for a while and can't come up with anything. The heat is going to continue to be the death of that drive.
Give me a call after you write the check

Eddie
I do not think it will fix your breaking parts problem but it should keep it cooler.
http://www.drewmarine.com/products/c...coolswirl.html
Old 08-18-2007, 03:29 PM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by paradigm shift
I do not think it will fix your breaking parts problem but it should keep it cooler.
http://www.drewmarine.com/products/c...coolswirl.html
I'll be damn. I'm trying to reinvent the wheel and someone already did it. Has anyone used it? Does it work???

Smitty,
As thunderusone said, this is not the first XR we have seen break the pinion support. It must be a weak link. The OD of the support is the same for all of the drives. It has to be to fit in the gimble. The ID on the XR is bigger to house the bigger pinion nut, so it is thinner there. This must be the reason for the weakness.
Old 08-20-2007, 12:21 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 784 Likes on 363 Posts

I'll be damn. I'm trying to reinvent the wheel and someone already did it. Has anyone used it? Does it work???

Smitty,
As thunderusone said, this is not the first XR we have seen break the pinion support. It must be a weak link. The OD of the support is the same for all of the drives. It has to be to fit in the gimble. The ID on the XR is bigger to house the bigger pinion nut, so it is thinner there. This must be the reason for the weakness.
I'm not aware of the xr housing using a bigger pinion/spanner nut with a thinner casting,my drive is based on a std case with xr parts and max worx parts in it and all the ones that I have ever worked on started life as a std case so its the first I ever heard of this,Smitty
Old 08-20-2007, 08:29 AM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by articfriends
I'm not aware of the xr housing using a bigger pinion/spanner nut with a thinner casting,my drive is based on a std case with xr parts and max worx parts in it and all the ones that I have ever worked on started life as a std case so its the first I ever heard of this,Smitty
I wasn't aware of them using a bigger spanner nut either, the only difference I know if the new XR's have bigger U-Joints and they used a different spanner nut that you need a different speacial spanner tool to take them apart.

As far as drive cooling, Smitty with the Wazzup boys has also been using drive coolers for some time.

Anything up in the HP range I don't see it living unless you're spinning some serious RPMS.. I learned my lesson's the hard way.

Frank
Old 08-20-2007, 08:46 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,283 Likes on 445 Posts

Smittty, on my xr's I have a back tie bar, do you think this system would work using the fill hole on the side? that would eliminate the drilling of one hole, or in my case the tie bar mount....Rob
Old 08-20-2007, 08:47 AM
Registered
VIP Member

Smitty, if you are starting with standard housings, I believe you have a little stronger setup around the pinion nut.