Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Boatcrashonly>com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/164853-boatcrashonly-com.html)

Chris Sunkin 07-30-2007 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by Pantera1 (Post 2216793)
If you love high performance boats and boating, please consider the consequences of your actions. Its just more ammo for the tree hugging fun killers.

The insurance companies, law enforcement agencies and those agencies that regulate the waterways are all very well aware of each and every incident of death, injury and property damage that occurs relative to pleasure boating. We're not telling them anything they don't already know.
On the other hand, I know of specific instances where some awareness, coupled with some peer pressure has gotten a handful of semi-irresponsible types to slow down, put on a lanyard and leave the booze on the dock.

Von Bongo 07-30-2007 03:13 PM

I've said it before...

When I learned to fly my instructor made me read the NTSB reports on light aircraft, because they also thought it couldn't happen to them.

Same here, can do w/o the conjecture and comments but accidents and reporting them helps to remind me that it can also happen to me.

Pantera1 07-30-2007 03:31 PM

Performance boating gets enough bad press all by itself .. So as enthusiasts why would we want to keep reiterating the sports inherent level of danger.. It creates a sterotype whether its true or not. Let the families have their time to grieve and give the authorities time to sort out the facts.
I dont buy the awareness argument.. the bad news will eventualy be the end of it all as liberal doo-gooders use our own bad news against us.
If you need a picture of a wrecked boat full of booze bottles to make you aware then please refrain from boating period !

tanner 07-30-2007 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by Pantera1 (Post 2216955)
Performance boating gets enough bad press all by itself .. So as enthusiasts why would we want to keep reiterating the sports inherent level of danger.. It creates a sterotype whether its true or not. Let the families have their time to grieve and give the authorities time to sort out the facts.
I dont buy the awareness argument.. the bad news will eventualy be the end of it all as liberal doo-gooders use our own bad news against us.
If you need a picture of a wrecked boat full of booze bottles to make you aware then please refrain from boating period !

I believe the sport has reletivley small level of danger. The danger is in the operators and more importantly ,most operators do not know they are dangerous !! If the constant posting of accidents gets the attention of just one operator and he now operates his boat in a safer manner that he used to, I for one will continue to post and respond.
I also think that some may take the postings the wrong way, If you remember there was a tragic accident in Lake Texacoma a few years back involving 2 well known boats and it was determined very quickly that it was indeed a catastrophic mechanical failure on 1 of the boats. You did not see ONE post slamming the driver or criticizing them.
Accidents do happen and we need accept that fact... but STUPID AZZ's behind the wheel and thinking they know what they are doing... we do not have to tolerate. Our families and friends are on the same waters when those bots with no operators in them slam into other boats, docks etc... Having a guy operate a boat wit hno experiance and little regard for the potential dangers is as bad as giving the keys to a drunk who just left the bar and "just lives a few miles away"

my .02

Donzi38ZR 07-30-2007 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by CigDaze (Post 2216897)
We can argue this until we're blue in the face, and we'll get no where.

Bottom line, we can't just ignore this sht and bury our heads in the sand pretending these things don't happen. They do happen and they draw a lot of negative attention and bad press, not to mention the pain and suffering they cause.

It's not about sensationalism. It's about education, and it's about waking the phuck up, learning our limits and acting responsibly. I'm sick and tired of losing good people, losing credibility, gaining bad press, and suffering exorbitant insurance costs because of the yearly rash of unfortunate accidents, careless oversights and sometimes downright bone-headed moves.

My $0.02.

You nailed it....If you want to be completely unaware of dangers that are all around you.... more power to you....."Victory to the bold" right? kinda shows your mentality.... for those of us with alittle less radical enjoyment of the sport... that glove does not fit.....

I'v taken a piece of awarness from every incident I have heard of in the last 6 years, it has helped me make the right decision in more than one occasion, from putting on a lanyard to a PDF, something as simple as double and triple checking equipment every time in.... it has visibly proved to me that awarness is key.....

TexomaPowerboater 07-30-2007 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by tanner (Post 2216984)
I If you remember there was a tragic accident in Lake Texacoma a few years back involving 2 well known boats and it was determined very quickly that it was indeed a catastrophic mechanical failure on 1 of the boats. You did not see ONE post slamming the driver or criticizing them.

my .02

Its Texoma

It has not been one year yet since the accident

No one has ever found out what really happened.

Although they are not my favorite post - I do get quite a bit out of the accident threads. I only had a go-fast for 2 years. I ended up selling it to get something a little more safer and bigger than my squirly little 24ft python. I didn't know much about how safe or unsafe these boats were and have learned quite a bit. No boat salesman is going to tell you that a step bottom boat is more dangerous in turns than a non-step. Its good to know what can cause an accident and some of the physics that come into play. For newbies coming into the sport - these threads teach them to think twice or even three times. Some of the threads also serve as a place to talk about it. I knew the people involved in the Texoma accident and this website did a great deal for me in getting through it all. Most news articles will tell you about 1/10 of what happend and these threads give you the whole pie. I'm sure that the guy on Lake Travis didn't appreciate the publicity, but it sure seemed like it helped him get through it all with all the facts and pictures. This site gives him and his friends a chance to explain himself and the surrounding facts, which we would of never heard from some dipchit reporter.

I don't think there are more accidents this year. I do think that OSO's popularity/membership is growing every year - so you hear about more accidents.

waterboy222 07-30-2007 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by Pantera1 (Post 2216955)
Performance boating gets enough bad press all by itself .. So as enthusiasts why would we want to keep reiterating the sports inherent level of danger.. !

at that theory, we shouldnt be able to talk about anything involved in this sport besides cleaning the boat.. every thread here is about adding more horsepower, higher top speeds, etc. None of that will look good to any outsider who doesnt know whats goin on... Keeping our heads in the sand and not seeing the truth will hurt the sport more, in my opinion. I bet if you were to take a poll and get HONEST answers, the thread about the killswitch wrecks spurred a LOT of boaters into wearing theirs.. I, for one, dont even idle away from the dock now without mine on, cant say that from two months ago..

J.B. Marshall 07-30-2007 04:51 PM

I agree with CigDaze & Chris as well as a few other here. Certainly we do not wish for any of these accidents however there is always something to learn from them and I for one have learned a lot about my mind set of being in control of a 38’ water missile. I have owned sport boats for almost 25 years now and will be the first one to tell you I look at my responsibilities different today than I did in the beginning when I was single, carefree & sometimes stupid. I have learned to wear a lanyard through these accidents and it has been imbedded even greater from the most recent accidents that have been posted.

I have become better educated boater to become a more responsible boater so I know what I am doing to protect my family & friends when we are out to enjoy the day.

When these accidents occur I do not think it is right for people to comment on who was right or wrong at the time and or judge what may or may not have been done to cause the accident. It will come out from the authorities and their investigations and certainly from the press. People should keep their negative comments to themselves as it suites no purpose to post them so quickly after these unfortunate accidents involving injury or loss of life.

My .02

bouyhunter 07-30-2007 05:44 PM

I thought the same thing at one time.
In other words - I don't think that anymore.
I got beat up on here pretty bad for having that opinion, but that is not what changed my mind. By reading, and learning what happened I think I've become a smarter boater.
The awareness of these accidents - many of which could be avoided with simple safety gear, and intelligent un-impaired operation has brought my attention to lot's of different things.
I'm picking up a new-to-me boat in 2 weeks. If it's not already equipped, the first accessory being added is a lanyard.
I agree that we need to stick to the facts, and leave the speculation out of the threads.

Pantera1 07-30-2007 05:53 PM

:)