Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Help with Illinois roadway tow limits - Winthrop Harbor Issue >

Help with Illinois roadway tow limits - Winthrop Harbor Issue

Notices

Old 07-31-2007, 03:46 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good work Rick. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help.
Old 05-07-2014, 08:59 PM
Registered

7 years anything change?
Old 05-07-2014, 11:24 PM
Registered

Received 4,260 Likes on 1,227 Posts

Ive been trying to figure out what plate I need on my truck too... can`t really come up with an answer

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/n...*alert***.html
Old 05-07-2014, 11:32 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Problem is , most of the cops doing the traffic stops for this stuff really don't know the laws. However , they will write you, and let you fight it in court.

When my buddy got stopped in the town of Westmont IL towing his 34 scarab, it was a nightmare. They took him to the scales, wanted to impound the truck and boat for being overweight. After a several hour delay, and calling in the state police to come assist as they didn't know Wtf they were doing , they let him off easy with only 800 bucks worth of tickets and no impoundment .
Old 05-08-2014, 08:20 AM
Registered

^ That is just crazy!! $800 in tickets Then you still have to go to court and fight it and loose a day's pay from work. That SUCKS!!
Old 05-08-2014, 08:26 AM
Registered

Sad part is he was happy to get off with that. Having only a TA trailer plate, and a "police memorial" plate on the truck, which according to them held no weight capacity, he was 16k lbs overweight. The TA trailer plate was only good for 3k lbs. Boat truck and trailer weighed 19k.

These cops are not playing around these days!
Old 05-08-2014, 08:57 AM
Registered

For the truck plate is it GVW of truck plus what your pulling? I actually don't have truck plates on my Excursion as it wasn't required to have them, just regular passenger vehicle plates. My trailer plate I run a TD which is rated for 8000-10,000lbs.
Old 05-08-2014, 02:29 PM
Registered

Received 4,260 Likes on 1,227 Posts

I called the Secretary Of State they told me at minimum I need a D plate for the truck. ( 1 ton) As far as if that plate covers the trailer, he didn`t know, checked with the supervisor, that person didn`t know either so they gave me some other commercial truck number to call.. lol
Old 05-08-2014, 02:45 PM
Registered

Received 155 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by ICDEDPPL
I called the Secretary Of State they told me at minimum I need a D plate for the truck. ( 1 ton) As far as if that plate covers the trailer, he didn`t know, checked with the supervisor, that person didn`t know either so they gave me some other commercial truck number to call.. lol
If you run a D plate, you also don't have to follow the lift laws on vehicle height and you don't have to run fender lips if your tires stick out beyond your fenders.
Old 05-08-2014, 09:02 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by ICDEDPPL
Yes sir. Thats the ***** of it. Nobody clearly knows. So the SOS employee, knows enough to tell you that you NEED a minimum of a "D" plate, doesnt know enough to comment on the trailer plate.

Interesting stuff I am gonna post.

(625 ILCS 5/3-401) (from Ch. 95 1/2, par. 3-401)
Sec. 3-401. Effect of provisions.
(a) It shall be unlawful for any person to violate any provision of this Chapter or to drive or move or for an owner knowingly to permit to be driven or moved upon any highway any vehicle of a type required to be registered hereunder which is not registered or for which the appropriate fee has not been paid when and as required hereunder, except that when application accompanied by proper fee has been made for registration of a vehicle it may be operated temporarily pending complete registration upon displaying a duplicate application duly verified or other evidence of such application or otherwise under rules and regulations promulgated by the Secretary of State.
(b) The appropriate fees required to be paid under the various provisions of this Act for registration of vehicles shall mean the fee or fees which would have been paid initially, if proper and timely application had been made to the Secretary of State for the appropriate registration required, whether such registration be a flat weight registration, a single trip permit, a reciprocity permit or a supplemental application to an original prorate application together with payment of fees due under the supplemental application for prorate decals.
(c) Effective October 1, 1984, no vehicle required to pay a Federal Highway Users Tax shall be registered unless proof of payment, in a form prescribed and approved by the Secretary of State, is submitted with the appropriate registration. Notwithstanding any other provision of this Code, failure of the applicant to comply with this paragraph shall be deemed grounds for the Secretary to refuse registration.
(c-1) A vehicle may not be registered by the Secretary of State unless that vehicle:
(1) was originally manufactured for operation on highways;

(2) is a modification of a vehicle that was originally manufactured for operation on highways; or

(3) was assembled from component parts designed for use in vehicles to be operated on highways.

(d) Second division vehicles.
(1) A vehicle of the second division moved or operated within this State shall have had paid for it the appropriate registration fees and flat weight tax, as evidenced by the Illinois registration issued for that vehicle, for the gross weight of the vehicle and load being operated or moved within this State. Second division vehicles of foreign jurisdictions operated within this State under a single trip permit, fleet reciprocity plan, prorate registration plan, or apportional registration plan, instead of second division vehicle registration under Article VIII of this Chapter, must have had paid for it the appropriate registration fees and flat weight tax in the base jurisdiction of that vehicle, as evidenced by the maximum gross weight shown on the foreign registration cards, plus any appropriate fees required under this Code.

(2) If a vehicle and load are operated in this State and the appropriate fees and taxes have not been paid or the vehicle and load exceed the registered gross weight for which the required fees and taxes have been paid by 2001 pounds or more, the operator or owner shall be fined as provided in Section 15-113 of this Code. However, an owner or operator shall not be subject to arrest under this subsection for any weight in excess of 80,000 pounds. Further, no fine shall exceed the actual cost of what the appropriate registration for that vehicle and load should have been as established in subsection (a) of Section 3-815 of this Chapter regardless of the route traveled. For purposes of this paragraph (2), "appropriate registration" means the full annual cost of the required registration and its associated fees.

So, I assume that, if lets say you need a ''D" plate, and a "TE" plate, does this mean, that if you DONT, and are stopped, the maximum fine can only be up to, what a "D" plate, and "TE" plate cost for 1 year registration? If so, than that is not that bad.

[B] (3) Any person operating a legal combination of vehicles displaying valid registration shall not be considered in violation of the registration provision of this subsection unless the total gross weight of the combination exceeds the total licensed weight of the vehicles in the combination. The gross weight of a vehicle exempt from the registration requirements of this Chapter shall not be included when determining the total gross weight of vehicles in combination.

I assume this means, that, if you are towing a trailer, as long as the trailer and truck plate weight classes add up to a higher amount than you are towing, than you should be ok?

(4) If the defendant claims that he or she had previously paid the appropriate Illinois registration fees and taxes for this vehicle before the alleged violation, the defendant shall have the burden of proving the existence of the payment by competent evidence. Proof of proper Illinois registration issued by the Secretary of State, or the appropriate registration authority from the foreign state, shall be the only competent evidence of payment.

(Source: P.A. 97-201, eff. 1-1-12.)

Last edited by MILD THUNDER; 05-08-2014 at 09:05 PM.

Quick Reply: Help with Illinois roadway tow limits - Winthrop Harbor Issue

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.