Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Fastest Offshore Race in History !!! >

Fastest Offshore Race in History !!!

Notices
View Poll Results: Should Turbine Boats Race against Piston Engine Boats ? Cats vs Vee?
YES: All Hulls & Powerplants in the Extreme Class
61.76%
No: Turbine Boats should not be racing Piston Boats
26.47%
1 Class Only: All Hull Configurations Cat vs Vee
4.41%
2 Classes: Vee vs Vee & Cat vs Cat
10.29%
I really like the Extreme Class Boats
4.41%
I don't think there should be an Extreme Class at all.
1.47%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Fastest Offshore Race in History !!!

Old 08-01-2007, 09:40 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

JUST LIKE THE HOT ROD DAYS ..... JUST RUN MMMMMMM
Old 08-01-2007, 10:01 AM
Registered

Didn't look like "offshore" to me......
Old 08-01-2007, 10:47 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just my 2 cents, if a race were all turbine boats there would be fewer spectators due to lack of thunder. For the casual spectator that is what builds the excitement. If NASCAR had all mufflered cars there would be a lot less red necks (pardon me but I had to get my point across) in the stands.

I recently took delivery of a 46 turbined skater. My neighbors are all very happy that it has replaced the barking/thundering pistoned power house. Everybody calls the 46 "the stealth boat". We always did a fly by in front of one of the local island restaurants when leaving. Literally hundreds of people would be standing on the docks, streets and restaurant balcony to "hear" the thunder and see the rooster tail. People cheering, jumping up and down and waving their hands in the air encouraging us to charge on.

The turbine initially drew a much larger crowd. A fly by with the turbine got comments like, "that was neat" due to the extreme rooster tail. No cheering, jumping or hand waving. A couple local business people want the other boat back. Watching a field of turbines will be like watching TV with no sound.

As Kilo mentioned it is a different technology and deserves a seperate class. Both boats looked great at St Clair however, when the GEICO boat finally came around by itself people were wondering why there was no sound.

Last edited by The Menace; 08-01-2007 at 10:59 AM.
Old 08-01-2007, 11:14 AM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Received 49 Likes on 23 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Maximus
Great Race!! I can't wait to see the lap speeds!! Have any more video sharkey?
All my videos are now online:

www.SharkeyMarine.com

You will also find over 2,000 photos I shot over the weekend...
Was up until 5:30 am this morning trying get everything online.
Maybe I should bring less memory cards with me next time....

I hope you enjoy them!

Thanks for commenting Dave !

Digital Photography & Video one BYTE at a time !
Old 08-01-2007, 11:28 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

They ruined Unlimited hydroplane racing when the turbines came in. Thunderboats became whisperboats.

Isn't an OFFSHORE race on StClair sort of an oxymoron? Maybe we can start getting races on the Ohio River.
Old 08-01-2007, 11:53 AM
Charter Member#203
Charter Member

Received 14,722 Likes on 3,791 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris Sunkin
They ruined Unlimited hydroplane racing when the turbines came in. Thunderboats became whisperboats.

Isn't an OFFSHORE race on StClair sort of an oxymoron? Maybe we can start getting races on the Ohio River.
Too much debris on the ohio!

Chris,
you make a good point! one that is stated all the time within offshore racing, its NOT offshore. well the sport IF it is ever to grow, needs to be spectator friendly. St Clair provides that,
Depending on the organization, many slam others when conducting a event on a river or lake, but these type events bring in the fans. especially up north where the boating season is only 4 to 5 months long. The St Clair race is not a walk in the park, as evidence of some of the incidents that occured over the weekend.
Old 08-01-2007, 12:24 PM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Received 49 Likes on 23 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Pete B
The St Clair race is not a walk in the park, as evidence of some of the incidents that occured over the weekend.
They still got air !

Digital Photography & Video one BYTE at a time !
Old 08-01-2007, 03:53 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't know that offshore is ever going to be "spectator friendly". At least not in any fashion that correlates to other motorsports. For example, go to a NASCAR event or Indy and you can see the entire field. Same with Unlimited hydros. Now, on the other hand, it could be made "media friendly" if some decent production was applied to some of the events. If TV can make an event like Tour de France not only media friendly but well-watched, where is offshore racing missing the mark?

The last "offshore" race I weatched from shore was Cleveland several years ago. There were just too many people for the boat and I didn't want to choose who went and who didn't. After the second pass through the breakwall, everyone was ready to leave. There was no racing to see- just some fast boats zooming by every so often. And, Cleveland is about as close to the action as any course- including Key West.

I wish I knew how to fix it. I'm just not that bright. I just wonder how with an event as high-tech, high-buck and dramatic as Offshore, no one can package it. I know one thing- an hour-long show that's one-third commercials and has the production quality of local cable-access programming ISN'T the solution.
Old 08-01-2007, 04:01 PM
Registered

A couple of barges in the infield with camera's and bleachers for the fans???????
Old 08-01-2007, 04:35 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Just my opinion but if you're going to have an Extreme class then that's just it, make it extreme.

The boats should be extremely fast, who cares what power they have.....

Hydro's used to run piston power, then the turbines came in and they couldn't compete any longer.

If you think your chit is extreme and you're the fastest around then enter the extreme class. If you want to race for extreme bragging rights for piston power, then enter a piston power class. If you want bragging rights for turbine then run in a turbine class.

In my mind, extreme means extremely fast and I don't care what power it has in it!

Quick Reply: Fastest Offshore Race in History !!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.