Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Fastest Offshore Race in History !!! >

Fastest Offshore Race in History !!!

Notices
View Poll Results: Should Turbine Boats Race against Piston Engine Boats ? Cats vs Vee?
YES: All Hulls & Powerplants in the Extreme Class
61.76%
No: Turbine Boats should not be racing Piston Boats
26.47%
1 Class Only: All Hull Configurations Cat vs Vee
4.41%
2 Classes: Vee vs Vee & Cat vs Cat
10.29%
I really like the Extreme Class Boats
4.41%
I don't think there should be an Extreme Class at all.
1.47%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Fastest Offshore Race in History !!!

Old 08-02-2007, 09:23 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by KiloKat
My point exactly. That's why SBI/APBA, OSS and all other forms of motorsports that I am aware of keep them seperate.
With all due respect Kilo you are incorrect.Our sister Boat racing Org The ABRA (American Boat Racing Assoc) THE UNLIMITED HYDRO"S U-3 Cooper Motorsports runs a turbocharged Allison against the Turbines...and has beat all turbines except ELAM. No issues or complaints.

All boats will and are the same give or take.

Whatever the outcome of classes is in the future we will be racing Bud and Cintron as hard as we possibly can.

See everyone in Orange Beach. where you will probably see the best one boat races you'll ever see

Dedicated racer,
Marc

Last edited by Maximus; 08-02-2007 at 10:40 AM.
Old 08-02-2007, 09:30 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A sad comparison to Unlimited hydros. We always thought that it would be a Nascar appeal sport if they were just more competitive. Nothing could be further from the truth. Someone different wins almost every race now (even Steve D.), but they sound like hair dryers, and nobldy gives a s**t.
Old 08-02-2007, 09:44 AM
KiloKat
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Maximus
This Year:

Bud MTI 1550/1750 Shaft/ Rudder
GEICO MTI 1700/1800 Shaft/ Rudder (temp adjusted) 14k lbs
Cintron 1400hp # 6's

Next Year:

Bud Select Mystic 1750 hp Shaft /Rudder
Cintron Mystic 1800HP Shaft /Rudder (in Paint)
GEICO Mystic 1700/1800 (temp adjustd) Shaft/ Rudder

Marc
Not sure where you are getting Cintron's or our horsepower figures unless you are pulling them from the air. Can't speak for Herb Stotler but I can assure you that we have never seen or plan to see the projected numbers that you are displaying here in any piston engine that we have run or expect to run in an offshore race.
In my opinion, posting or spreading inaccurate information such as this does not represent yourself, your team or your sponsor in a manner that I would expect from you. So Marc, if I am wrong, then please explain how you are arriving at this information.

Just spoke with Herb Stotler (engine builder for Cintron) about your posted horsepower numbers and he agrees with my post here and would also like to know where your numbers are coming from ....

Last edited by KiloKat; 08-02-2007 at 10:41 AM. Reason: Spoke with Herb Sotoler
Old 08-02-2007, 09:54 AM
Registered

Can the turbine boats race in rough water (key west, miami to bimini style) without over reving.

And, if the turbines are computer rev limited can't the throttle man just nail the throttles and let the computers do the work?

This should be an economic issue......which option has the lower total cost(i.e. variable cost).

I agree with the crowd pleasing aspect of the piston engine noise. This has already be dealt with in drag racing. Piston engines deliver more "crowd satisfaction". This is also the reason the IRL has mandated flat plane crankshafts(Ferrari style.....they sound "cooler" than dual plane crankshafts(american v8 style.
Old 08-02-2007, 10:12 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Kilo, You guys are the Top Team in the US and we have our work cut out for us over the next several races. We got lucky in St Clair and don't expect any of the upcoming events to be easy. We have a lot of work to do to be competitive with the Bud team.

Let's drop it and go racing (by ourselves).

M

This is my last post on the subject. Be good see you in OB
Old 08-02-2007, 11:51 AM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Received 49 Likes on 23 Posts
Lightbulb

We always have gone head to head - regardless of class - and that won't change.
Dave,

I will except any of these type boats in one class or two.

I am just happy to see all you guys make such an effort to bring a BIG SHOW to our sport.

Providing they are in two separate classes, which they probably will always be, perhaps the fastest boats can run for a 1st Place Overall Trophy ?

Then even though you may be in separate classes, you still race for the REALLY BIG TROPHY !

I was just curious to see how everyone felt about the two classes combined in St Clair.

No doubt, the noise from the crowd that was cheering you guys on was great !

It was so far from coming to the races for something to do, have a few drinks and forget what was going on after the
2nd lap. This race kept everyone's attention from start to finish!

I can't wait to see the TV coverage!

Best of luck in OB.

Digital Photography & Video one BYTE at a time !
Old 08-02-2007, 02:13 PM
Charter Member #928
Charter Member

Not sure where you are getting Cintron's or our horsepower figures unless you are pulling them from the air. Can't speak for Herb Stotler but I can assure you that we have never seen or plan to see the projected numbers that you are displaying here in any piston engine that we have run or expect to run in an offshore race.
In my opinion, posting or spreading inaccurate information such as this does not represent yourself, your team or your sponsor in a manner that I would expect from you. So Marc, if I am wrong, then please explain how you are arriving at this information.

Just spoke with Herb Stotler (engine builder for Cintron) about your posted horsepower numbers and he agrees with my post here and would also like to know where your numbers are coming from ....
Well if nothing else we have a competitive spirit. What do people want? Nascar. Then everybody would be driving Fountains with different mfg. names on them. See all the race course? Ever been to Talladega? Unless everybody gets together, promotes the drivers with the teams, have some form of communication in the race; such as Speedvision, to the fans at the race so people know what is going on during the race , then I don't believe offshore racing will ever be anything than what it is. Just for the boat lover. Nascar is the way it is because it is ruled with one fist. Can you imagine DE or Jeff Gordon doesn't like a rule and them saying they were going to start a new circuit. I say let them race the way it is now until more boats are racing then maybe more classes. And promote the drivers more so the can fans can get behind THEIR team. Once this SPIRIT is in the fanbase then offshore racing will go to the next level. Since you can't charge admission on a beach then this will have to grow through merchandise and sponsorship.