Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
When do the Water Cops get it right? >

When do the Water Cops get it right?

Notices

When do the Water Cops get it right?

Old 08-01-2007, 01:18 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The water cops are pretty good, for the most part, on our lake.
A buddy of mine did a "ride along" 2 weeks ago with our water cops. (He`s a Dallas cop and is interested in becoming a Game Warden).
He told me --- and this is no chit, that if a boat driver avoids eye contact - he`s getting pulled over and checked. If the driver smiles and waves, he won`t get pulled over, unless he`s obviously doing something wrong.

They pulled over 8 boats in 2 hours and wrote 4 tickets.

One for not carrying proper registration.
One for not having an extinguisher.
Two for not having a throw-able flotation device.

Seems like they were doing their job.

Oh, the cops on our lake despise PWC`s and will tell you so.
Old 08-01-2007, 01:20 PM
BRAD SCHOENWALD
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by dukenrock
Just noticed this, I have my boat Documented and never had an Indiana State Registration sticker. I was pulled over in New Buffalo, MI last year for not having one displayed. They informed me that even though I had the Documentation in order, I still was required to display a state registration. If they saw me without one again they would have fined me. I have a stciker now. (They assigned numbers too but I don't have to display the numbers)
Siticker only not registration numbers. If they insist you must display the entire number they are wrong and have been wrong for years. State safe boating law is dirived from federal law. This is where they get money to buy boats, etc.

46 CFR subchapter S Parts 173.11 and 173.33 specifically. 173.17 also speaks to reciprocity. IOW they would have to deomionstate you were USING your boat on Michigan waters for more than 60 days.
Old 08-01-2007, 01:40 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 393 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Donman
A buddy of mine did a "ride along" 2 weeks ago with our water cops. (He`s a Dallas cop and is interested in becoming a Game Warden).
He told me --- and this is no chit, that if a boat driver avoids eye contact - he`s getting pulled over and checked. If the driver smiles and waves, he won`t get pulled over, unless he`s obviously doing something wrong.

Donman,
Love PK, I haven't been there since 91', and I sure do miss it. Anyway, back to the topic, our watercops are pretty cool, as long as you aren't acting like a fool, then they will pull you over.
Dean
Old 08-01-2007, 01:44 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah tell me about it. I have been known on occasion to send a flare shot after them. I don't mind them crossing my wake, (actualy they get some awseome air), I don't mind them running along side me pacing me or racing me. But to cross my bow no more than 15 to 30 yards in front of me running around 50+ is hazardous. It is no secret some of the wrecks out here are due to dodging PCWs. I never actualy hit anyone with a flare but I'll buzz them with it. It gets the point across. As far as our water cops go, pretty much the same way as long as you arent acting the fool or ramming into somebody else. If you look like there is a problem , then they check you out.
Originally Posted by Donman

Last edited by Wet Dream; 08-01-2007 at 01:58 PM.
Old 08-01-2007, 02:37 PM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Wet Dream
Yeah tell me about it. I have been known on occasion to send a flare shot after them. I don't mind them crossing my wake, (actualy they get some awseome air), I don't mind them running along side me pacing me or racing me. But to cross my bow no more than 15 to 30 yards in front of me running around 50+ is hazardous. It is no secret some of the wrecks out here are due to dodging PCWs. I never actualy hit anyone with a flare but I'll buzz them with it. It gets the point across. As far as our water cops go, pretty much the same way as long as you arent acting the fool or ramming into somebody else. If you look like there is a problem , then they check you out.

You just gave me an idea of how to get rid of those old expired flares!!!!! THANKS
Old 08-01-2007, 02:50 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Wet Dream
Are you serious? You have any idea how illegal that is? I think it is damn funny but if you ever get caught plan to go to jail. They will get you for illegal discharge of a flare gun and also assault with a deadly.......
Old 08-01-2007, 03:09 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had the very displeasurable experience of explaining to two rookie floater cops that the switchable exhaust on my old powerplay was completely legal to the letter of the law. It switched from thru hub to thru transom mounted mufflers. I carry a copy of the regulation with me now in my cat because it has "sound muffling devices" although its still pretty loud. The last copper who didn't believe me when I said "yes I do have mufflers" got chewed out infront of a crowd at the marina. I told him to feel free to jump in the lake and have a look under the platforms and tell me exactly what the big, shiny, stainless steel cans attached to the transom were. I also explained to him the exact wording of the law as it it written and how I really didn't give a flying F iretrUCK what his interpretation of the law was.

Strangley, he declined the swim.

Do any of the state laws about switchables outlaw them completely or can they function IF they switch to mufflers?
Old 08-01-2007, 04:53 PM
Registered

In Michigan switchable exhaust is legal but in many states they are not. You will be tested with the exhaust open in thoughs states
Old 08-01-2007, 05:04 PM
Registered

Belive me I make sure I cover by bum on issues like that. What could be seen a illegal discharge could also be seen a selfdefense or protection of private property. As long as the discharger is not actualy shooting at that particular person the discharge will then be merited as using the flare for what it was used for. Getting Attention for help in this case the River Cops. If it freaks out a few dissrespectful PWCs then thats a perk. I understand where you are coming from. You can't just go out there shooting a flare at people. But when you have a pretty good sized investment in the water you are entitaled to some countermeasures. Regardless you are taking a risk with your money or your time either way. Lets say that for certain reasons some things are sometimes not noticed.

Originally Posted by Audiofn
Are you serious? You have any idea how illegal that is? I think it is damn funny but if you ever get caught plan to go to jail. They will get you for illegal discharge of a flare gun and also assault with a deadly.......

Last edited by Wet Dream; 08-01-2007 at 05:18 PM.
Old 08-01-2007, 05:23 PM
Registered

Down in La, they put the noise control on the parishes. If the parish has a noise ordanance then there will be signs posted of certain times you can run open exhaust. In populated areas. Generaly on the river it is considered a state waterway so there is no noise policy unless you get into water front housing or residential areas where the parish ordinance would apply. You dont see many of them though. We are pretty much respectful of someones privacy and need for peace and quiet. As long as it doesn't get out of hand then we probably won't see any state restrictions.

Originally Posted by Airpacker
I had the very displeasurable experience of explaining to two rookie floater cops that the switchable exhaust on my old powerplay was completely legal to the letter of the law. It switched from thru hub to thru transom mounted mufflers. I carry a copy of the regulation with me now in my cat because it has "sound muffling devices" although its still pretty loud. The last copper who didn't believe me when I said "yes I do have mufflers" got chewed out infront of a crowd at the marina. I told him to feel free to jump in the lake and have a look under the platforms and tell me exactly what the big, shiny, stainless steel cans attached to the transom were. I also explained to him the exact wording of the law as it it written and how I really didn't give a flying F iretrUCK what his interpretation of the law was.

Strangley, he declined the swim.

Do any of the state laws about switchables outlaw them completely or can they function IF they switch to mufflers?

Quick Reply: When do the Water Cops get it right?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.