Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
How do I cut Stainless boat lift cables? >

How do I cut Stainless boat lift cables?

Notices

How do I cut Stainless boat lift cables?

Old 08-02-2007, 10:53 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You could solder it with that torch ..50/50 solder and flux. Unless youve never soldered .. then youde be better off with the liquid tape
Old 08-03-2007, 08:11 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The torch-cut photo appears to have been done with a plasma cutter. Excellent approach- it cuts cleanly and fuses the stray strands.

I use poly stretch wrap- the stuff they bind pallets with. They have it at OfficeMax and U-Haul. It wraps the cable but it is still thin enough to go through ferrules, etc. Duct tape usually isn't. We use a modified hydraulic hose cutter in the shop and a 5" disc grinder with 1/16" cutoff wheels in the field. Both work very well.
Old 08-03-2007, 10:22 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Pantera1
Ill call your 10 years cutting weany boat lift cable and raise you 20 years in the material handling business. Cant cut a 100 ton wire rope with bolt cutters ..
Ever wonder why they are called " BOLT " cutters ?
Strip is cutting BOAT LIFT CABLES, how is this even revelant??? This thread has way over complicated a very simple task. 1000s of lifts go in every year and I haven't seen one done that didn't either have factory plasma cut ends or taped then bolt cutter or cutoff wheel cut.

Strip, if you don't go out and spend the $$ on a plasma cutter to cut your weany boat lift cables you're gonna be the shame of OSO

Last edited by mr_velocity; 08-03-2007 at 10:32 AM.
Old 08-03-2007, 10:24 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Strip Poker 388
If I use the cut off wheel, will the end fray?
No, this is not my lift but what you're gonna end up with in order to clear the beams when it winds. Guess this was done before they went to stainless clamps.

Before everyone jumps on the "cut too close bandwagon" the clamp is just to keep the cable from backing out of the roll pipe. As long as there is 3 turns round the pipe at the lifts lowest position then there is no load on the clamp. Much more than that sticking out of te clamp and it's not going to clear.

Last edited by mr_velocity; 08-03-2007 at 10:29 AM.
Old 08-03-2007, 11:11 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mr_velocity
Strip is cutting BOAT LIFT CABLES, how is this even revelant??? This thread has way over complicated a very simple task. 1000s of lifts go in every year and I haven't seen one done that didn't either have factory plasma cut ends or taped then bolt cutter or cutoff wheel cut.

Strip, if you don't go out and spend the $$ on a plasma cutter to cut your weany boat lift cables you're gonna be the shame of OSO
All I meant was if someone were to obtain a tool for cutting cable.."ANY KIND" the number one choice would be cable cutters $50. Number two would be an ox/ace torch.
Bolt cutters are not meant for cutting wire rope. You CAN do it yes.
Im sure noone except us 3 give a hoot.