Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   GPS units with fuel flow capability? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/165105-gps-units-fuel-flow-capability.html)

handfulz28 08-01-2007 08:35 PM

GPS units with fuel flow capability?

So far I've only seen the Northstar/NAVMAN and Lowrance units. From what I've read on here, the Navman fuel sensors don't get the highest reviews. Anybody have any info or experience to share with the Lowrance stuff? I wonder whose sensors they're using...
Ideally I'd like Garmin to add their aviation fuel software to their marine units, and be able to use Floscan sending units...

Fountainclimber 08-01-2007 08:43 PM

I have the Navman 6600 but it works through the Smartcraft not their sensor. Seems to work OK for gph.

F

Rippem 08-01-2007 11:40 PM

NavMan 5500 with the flow sensors here, and it's reasonably accurate. It's not FloScan (been there) or Smartcraft accurate but pretty close for cheap in comparison.

NavMan bought by Brunswick, they buried it as they often do, then sold to Northstar.
The 5500 is now the Northstar 557 or something. Same case with grey buttons instead of blue and now that same plotter I have is C-Map "Max" compatible. Just some updated chart reading software.

handfulz28 08-02-2007 01:10 PM

So Rip, you're OK with the navman flow sensors? I remember reading one of your posts about them which is why I consider them sub-FloScan :D
I guess I'll have to do some digging to see what Lowrance is using for their sensors.
Smartcraft is nice since the ECU iterates fuel data from RPM, load and pulsewidth activity. But I've still got carbs :D

Ted G 08-02-2007 03:54 PM

I picked up all the Lowrancenet stuff to do my engines, fuel tank, etc, but haven't had time to install. The stuff is well made and there are alot of options once you integrate a GPS with it. The simplicity of install is pretty slick too.

Phazar454Mag 08-02-2007 04:30 PM

I have recently installed Northstar 550 (same as Navman 5505) with the Navman fuel sensors, and so far I am very happy with it. I haven't calibrated the setup yet so accuracy can be improved, but it seems fine so far.
I really like the entire fuel management display screen it provides. It is truely what you need.
What are the concerns people have with the Navman fuel sensors ? Is Floscan really better ?

Rippem 08-02-2007 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by handfulz28 (Post 2221610)
So Rip, you're OK with the navman flow sensors? I remember reading one of your posts about them which is why I consider them sub-FloScan

yea I'm OK with them. I have worked with the calibration parameters available and like I said, pretty close...close enough for a 100 bucks or whatever I paid for the sensors.

BTW all the fuel capable plotters use the same sensors from the same vendor. That's what I found.

Rippem 08-02-2007 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by Phazar454Mag (Post 2221812)
Is Floscan really better ?

than the NavMan, Standard, Lowrance ect. branded sensors?

yes.

better quality
more flow capacity (higher HP applications)
more end-install accurate as a result of more calibration combinations

I have installed and lived with both.

SmartCraft should be the most accurate for obvious reasons, but the system price to get the fuel flow info reflects that!

C_Spray 08-03-2007 07:58 AM

If your engine is NMEA 2000 compliant (only a few are so far), there are more and more units that will read the data directly from the ECM. The new Garmins will display a virtual dashboard of gauges.

My engine's aren't NMEA 2000, but I found a Brooks & Gatehouse display (4" square) that will read all the ECM data. Unfortunately, it's now out of production.

At least I didn't have to plumb and wire sensors...:D