Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
1st Offshore Boat..What to buy? >

1st Offshore Boat..What to buy?

Notices

1st Offshore Boat..What to buy?

Old 08-09-2007, 10:04 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same kinda questions, look at this thread it might help bring into reality. I'm still looking, good advice being offered, slow way down and read, read, read as much as you can on this board. It's free and will make you a smarter purchaser.

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...d.php?t=157023
Old 08-10-2007, 08:50 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by BL6
Buy one long enough to take the big water, but short enough to trailer easily. Large enough power to go fast and then some, but tame enough to hold together and be somewhat reasonable on fuel.
Sounds like my 31-foot Cigarette Bullet with HP500's!
Old 08-10-2007, 08:55 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 771 Likes on 352 Posts

[QUOTE=w-fever;2226697]is there anouther boat that i should be looking at??
QUOTE]

You should personally look at as many boats as you can and research as many brands as you are able. There will always be some boats whose construction and reputation is better than others and thought of more highly in the market. While that does matter to some extent the important thing is ensuring that you end up in the boat that is right for you, price-wise, quality-wise, power-wise, and layout-wise so that you can do what is MOST important - get out on the river with friends and family and make the countless priceless memories that boating affords.

When I was shopping I started with a budget and after MONTHS of research on this forum I ended up 2 times over my budget because I fell in love with the LINES of the Cigarette's, the reputation, the history, and most importantly the fact that the boat was everything I wanted.

To me the 6 important components of a boat purchase (in no particular order) are:

1. - Lines
2. - Quality
3. - Amenities
4. - Powertrain
5. - Price
6. - Resale

Juggle these six items and that will put you in the right boat for you (don't forget about incidentals - Insuarance, towing, maintenance).

Good Luck
Old 08-10-2007, 09:03 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Playn
how insightful
well yes that was nice mine is only 19yrs old now 240sport aka update 24ol its had 580 to 670 hp in it from 95 now is running 83 plus last yr before my chit was stolen. my good friend has a older 24 superboat and for the last 17yrs he can't get by me . my boat kicks his azz in the rough and smooth hes a 1000lbs lighter or more and is about 550 to 575hp. so when a guy who owns a 24SB TALKS CHIT I laugh my azz oooffff. and I do like the y2k 30 thought about getting one nexted but it looks like a joker28, sutphen, or after being in a AT a AT28. SO don't let that sb bull **** boughter you. I been kicken the azz out of a couple on the mass bay cape a 24IO and a red 30 twin obs another 30OB TWINS that was grey a red 24 ob and another 2 24SB ob , so thatS 6 WINS NO LOSSES and in the spring I should be up to 87gps with the right prop not bad for a BAJA 88, I don't brag but since you felt bad about SB 502 POST I felt it was time to speak, I don't knock peoples boats just telling what my boat has done to the SBs that I have run in too on mass and the cape waters. I have beatin a lot of others two all the big names and have lost to them also ha haa the best was racing a 35 sonic with twin 850hp blowers in 3 to 4ft seas he stayed just in front of me while I was trimed out trying to get as much speed as I could which was stupid we were all over the place and they were drinking beers standing smooth as a babys azz. getting a little air. we ran for 10 miles before I gave up.oh my friends SB has stress cracks like me too I have seen them in every boat out there just about well got to go hope here from you playn ,art
Old 08-10-2007, 09:29 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by StillHaulin@63
Isn't it interesting that the most vocal Baja critics ... do not own a Baja
yep gee whats carbon fiber oh THATS WHAT BAJA USES IN ITS BOATS NOW, . MY buddy sold his 2 f2 formulas 38s both because of floor and stringers breaking after racing them each for a couple yrs, he use to race in a cat also which had stress cracks I now a red conn base fountian 4o that the stringers let go after 7 yrs BAJA HAS A SOLID RIDE, If you want speed go to a step hull and hope it doesn't spin out going straight, the AT I was in was very nice ride with a single step. BAJA IS NO GAYLINER GO TO THE BOAT SHOW LOO9K AT A FOUNTIAN AND THEN A BAJA SORRY THE 26 BAJA AND THE 35 I SAW AT THE BOAT SHOW IN BOSTON SMOOTHER FINISH IN THE BILGE both looked the same to me but baja uses better rugs. I like I said mine is still in one piece, I am changing some stuff this yr but its 19yrs old came with 330hp not the 580 TO 670HP SINCE 95 .art ps go check out that AT FAST AND STRONG.
Old 08-10-2007, 09:34 AM
Registered

2005 S 239,000 Fountian 525s, 2005 Baja 40 235,000 525s Yep There Cheaper All Right:d . F Boat Faster, B Boat Much More Room Smoother Ride.
Old 08-10-2007, 09:43 AM
Registered

On the market bajas 105 for sale, fountians 197 boats sold each yr baja twice as much as fountian BUT whos getting rid of there boats twice as fast gee FOUNTIAN LIKE I SAD MY NEXTED BOAT WILL NOT BE A BAJA so I feel I am just when I can say baja has always built a nice boat if you beat the f out of any one you are going to break stuff unless you buy a JOKER 28 RACE MODEL IT will out live you . ok start *****in at me to night I'LL BE BACK. [ ARTIMUS GO F YOUR SELF ] AKA ART OR ARTIE
Old 08-10-2007, 09:42 PM
Registered

Naah I spoke to all of them .I am not knocking them, just know a few guys that moved on to smoother and faster boats OLs: and SUTPHENS party-smiley-020: . Well I better go hide now before I get kicked as GERRY WOULD SAY ITS GOOD. see yah. ps maybe its me but when I buy something I like I keep it, if I have a problem with it I smash it, then I feel better. haa haah.
Old 08-10-2007, 09:48 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Clay Washington
Sounds like my 31-foot Cigarette Bullet with HP500's!
clay there was a 31 with 800s in it here in plymouth mass back in the 90s it screamed perfect size boat his friend had the sonic 35 I talked about somewhere here to day with 850s, they would go out hunting boats to pick on haahaa. I will see if I can find any pics. art ps these new pain pills are making me goofy I may have to go back to the old ones