Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Being Cheated at the Gas Pumps? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/165746-being-cheated-gas-pumps.html)

VetteLT193 08-10-2007 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by mccaffertee (Post 2229737)

And as a gasoline substitute, ethanol has bigger problems:

Its energy density is one-third less than gasoline, which means you have to burn more of it to get the same amount of power.

I agree with your post, except it is a bit too one sided.

The line above is correct, but well stated to make you think it is terrible fuel...

Fact is, ethanol should make more horsepower than gas. Yes, you have to burn more, but it still produces more power. It doesn't help our cars much because they are geared for the lesser of the 2 power curves (even flex fuel vehicles). If they were geared for the best mileage burning E85/E10/etc. though, would it be more comparable to gas? It should be, but I have yet to see a study that takes that approach.

Just food for thought:)

TSPM 08-10-2007 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by pachanga (Post 2229259)
I must say...cudos to Va. I do remember seeing a notice at one gas station with a warning or notice posted in Va. that said gas may contain up to 10% ethanol. Tis not the case here in Ga. :(

NY law as well...the stuff is destroying fuel pumps left and right in the marine industry.....OB motors especially....and severely breaking down fuel lines.

pachanga 08-17-2007 07:36 PM

Found this article googling trying to find ethanol free gas in my area. http://www.usedboats.com/enewsland2.html#ethanol Gas providers defintly need to post whether gas has ethanol. I found a few others where some states are trying to force planes to run some ethanol...Geeze!

pachanga 08-17-2007 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by Smiklos (Post 2239094)
Mine has done the same most of it is tempature and humidity. I have seen the cycle for years now. Wait until October it will climb back up.
Steve

I am sorry... I have to disagree. I travel over long distances in my business around 40 weekends a year. I just did a test the other day... Drive home from the gas station trying to get the best milage I could get in my Suburban....used to could park it in the DW with the meter showing best was 25....now 18 and change. I would not say this if it didn't effect all my vehicles. Before the change I had never gotten less than 18.5 on a long trip. When I posted this thread I had just returned from a trip only getting 15.6! AC ain't gonna make that big a difference and I had driven long trips in hot weather before! In the winter I have seen close to 20...One time we cruised ta Marco Island FL from Atlanta trying to relax...set the cruise on 65....when I got off the interstate at the Marco Island Exit I had averaged 22.2MPG!

DMOORE 08-17-2007 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by Smiklos (Post 2239094)
Mine has done the same most of it is tempature and humidity. I have seen the cycle for years now. Wait until October it will climb back up.
Steve

Ethanol has less energy than gasoline per OZ. Due to this, it takes more fuel to maintain a certain speed. So yes most all cars will see a reduction of about 10-15% in fuel milage. There are plenty of studies , some by the manufactures, DOT and the OIL companies, that shows this.

Darrell.

dean51267 08-17-2007 10:19 PM

sugar beats have twice the stored energy corn does, at half the production cost.....

but the sugar beat lobby is, well, do we even have one?

Tom A. 08-17-2007 10:27 PM

Another note on ethanol,
On top of deteriorating rubber, it will also dry out / deteriorate cork gaskets.
I found this out when the gasket for the fuel pickup on my tank let go.

pachanga 08-18-2007 05:21 AM

Originally Posted by Smiklos (Post 2239217)
It is not the A/c as much as the air the engine uses is not dense and is full of water.
Steve

Hmmm....my ole hotrods seemed to run a bit stronger when it was humid!

Quinlan 08-18-2007 08:26 AM

Watch out. There was a strong T- Storm in the gulf called ERIN. Now they already raised it 10 to 15 cents here. Cant wait till a real storm hits!!

duunoit 08-18-2007 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by VetteLT193 (Post 2230442)
I agree with your post, except it is a bit too one sided.

The line above is correct, but well stated to make you think it is terrible fuel...

Fact is, ethanol should make more horsepower than gas. Yes, you have to burn more, but it still produces more power. It doesn't help our cars much because they are geared for the lesser of the 2 power curves (even flex fuel vehicles). If they were geared for the best mileage burning E85/E10/etc. though, would it be more comparable to gas? It should be, but I have yet to see a study that takes that approach.

Just food for thought:)

If that's the case, wouldn't it be better for boats that run in the upper RPM ranges?