Being Cheated at the Gas Pumps? >

Being Cheated at the Gas Pumps?

Notices

Being Cheated at the Gas Pumps?

Old 08-10-2007, 03:12 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pachanga
I must say...cudos to Va. I do remember seeing a notice at one gas station with a warning or notice posted in Va. that said gas may contain up to 10% ethanol. Tis not the case here in Ga.
NY law as well...the stuff is destroying fuel pumps left and right in the marine industry.....OB motors especially....and severely breaking down fuel lines.

Last edited by TSPM; 08-10-2007 at 03:17 PM.
Old 08-17-2007, 07:36 PM
Registered

Found this article googling trying to find ethanol free gas in my area. http://www.usedboats.com/enewsland2.html#ethanol Gas providers defintly need to post whether gas has ethanol. I found a few others where some states are trying to force planes to run some ethanol...Geeze!
Old 08-17-2007, 09:02 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Smiklos
Mine has done the same most of it is tempature and humidity. I have seen the cycle for years now. Wait until October it will climb back up.
Steve
I am sorry... I have to disagree. I travel over long distances in my business around 40 weekends a year. I just did a test the other day... Drive home from the gas station trying to get the best milage I could get in my Suburban....used to could park it in the DW with the meter showing best was 25....now 18 and change. I would not say this if it didn't effect all my vehicles. Before the change I had never gotten less than 18.5 on a long trip. When I posted this thread I had just returned from a trip only getting 15.6! AC ain't gonna make that big a difference and I had driven long trips in hot weather before! In the winter I have seen close to 20...One time we cruised ta Marco Island FL from Atlanta trying to relax...set the cruise on 65....when I got off the interstate at the Marco Island Exit I had averaged 22.2MPG!
Old 08-17-2007, 09:49 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Mine has done the same most of it is tempature and humidity. I have seen the cycle for years now. Wait until October it will climb back up.
Steve

Ethanol has less energy than gasoline per OZ. Due to this, it takes more fuel to maintain a certain speed. So yes most all cars will see a reduction of about 10-15% in fuel milage. There are plenty of studies , some by the manufactures, DOT and the OIL companies, that shows this.

Darrell.
Old 08-17-2007, 10:19 PM
Registered

sugar beats have twice the stored energy corn does, at half the production cost.....

but the sugar beat lobby is, well, do we even have one?
Old 08-17-2007, 10:27 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 84 Likes on 31 Posts

Another note on ethanol,
On top of deteriorating rubber, it will also dry out / deteriorate cork gaskets.
I found this out when the gasket for the fuel pickup on my tank let go.
Old 08-18-2007, 05:21 AM
Registered

It is not the A/c as much as the air the engine uses is not dense and is full of water.
Steve
Hmmm....my ole hotrods seemed to run a bit stronger when it was humid!
Old 08-18-2007, 08:26 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 569 Likes on 262 Posts

Watch out. There was a strong T- Storm in the gulf called ERIN. Now they already raised it 10 to 15 cents here. Cant wait till a real storm hits!!
Old 08-18-2007, 10:30 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by VetteLT193
I agree with your post, except it is a bit too one sided.

The line above is correct, but well stated to make you think it is terrible fuel...

Fact is, ethanol should make more horsepower than gas. Yes, you have to burn more, but it still produces more power. It doesn't help our cars much because they are geared for the lesser of the 2 power curves (even flex fuel vehicles). If they were geared for the best mileage burning E85/E10/etc. though, would it be more comparable to gas? It should be, but I have yet to see a study that takes that approach.

Just food for thought

If that's the case, wouldn't it be better for boats that run in the upper RPM ranges?